Do Yourself a Favor - Regear Your 2012-Up JK!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I understand that the d30 and internals are inferior. The guy asked about 38s and 5.13 on a d30
guess I should have stated that No one on this forum would suggest that and will rip u apart for thinking about it if u insist on throwing money away into ur d30 beef it up and the internals.
Did I mention that ur an idiot. Oh and let me know how it works out
See lots of ridiculing ppl instead of supporting and sharing information to fellow jeepers. Kind of irritating

It's all about perspective. What you choose to call "ripping apart", I personally see "good advice" - the kind a dad would give their kid when they think they've got it all figured out. Just because the kid doesn't like what they hear or how it's said doesn't mean that the advice isn't sound or shouldn't be listened to. Me, I wish I would have gotten half the good information that guys like you get back when I was getting started in all this but hey, that's just me.

WJCO

Meme King
I understand that the d30 and internals are inferior. The guy asked about 38s and 5.13 on a d30
guess I should have stated that No one on this forum would suggest that and will rip u apart for thinking about it
if u insist on throwing money away into ur d30 beef it up and the internals. Did I mention that ur an idiot. Oh and let me know how it works out
See lots of ridiculing ppl instead of supporting and sharing information to fellow jeepers. Kind of irritating

I don't really see ridiculing here on this thread. I think there is some pretty good advice from people that have the experience or have witnessed failures with certain modifications.

guess I should have stated that No one on this forum would suggest that and will rip u apart for thinking about it
if u insist on throwing money away into ur d30 beef it up and the internals. Did I mention that ur an idiot. Oh and let me know how it works out

If some one starts a thread called "which set of 40s would you run on a dana30?", why would it be a bad move to tell him 40s on a d30 is not a good idea?

Would you rather someone just recommend a good 40inch tire and watch him fuck his jeep up?

BertaNation

It's all about perspective. What you choose to call "ripping apart", I personally see "good advice" - the kind a dad would give their kid when they think they've got it all figured out. Just because the kid doesn't like what they hear or how it's said doesn't mean that the advice isn't sound or shouldn't be listened to. But, that's just me.

your right. I went back and read some of the comments and I did take some of the comments the wrong way. reading on a forum is different from actually hearing things. Words can be taken differently. I was just expecting to get pounced on so I was already playing defense

BertaNation

If some one starts a thread called "which set of 40s would you run on a dana30?", why would it be a bad move to tell him 40s on a d30 is not a good idea?

Would you rather someone just recommend a good 40inch tire and watch him fuck his jeep up?

Now now we all know that going to 40s is a big step.
ppl run 37s on d30s. Though it is not recommended and not always successful it is possible to get away w it if the right precautions are taken on the build and the trail.

Speeddmn

ppl run 37s on d30s. Though it is not recommended and not always successful it is possible to get away w it if the right precautions are taken on the build and the trail.

Running 37's all day long.... at the mall! If you take two speed bumps back to back, you can break so be cautious.

Just remember the bigger the number e.g. 5.13 vs 4.88, the 5.13 pinion, the longer straight shaft, has a smaller diameter then the 4.88, thus makes it more vulnerable to breaking. Wish I has pictures to explain it.

And yes the actual tubes might not break, and the center section might not snap in two. We (really anyone) can do what we want to our own Jeeps. It is ours and it is our money, go play and have fun, but hopefully you have enough banked to pay for a new axle or components/labor to get it fixed...

Right. But thats not what you were ranting about in the first quote. You were trying to blast people for giving solid honest input. Just because people "get away with it" doesnt make it a good idea. No one on here that knows what theyre doing should sit back and let someone make a poor choice without at least letting them know what theyre getting into.

BillTheCat

Just a comment. Moved from 3.73s to 5.38s on my 2013. Tires are 315's. Spent two days wheelin' in Moab and covered 950 miles total on the trip. Gas Milage: 16.8 mpg. I was catching a lot of flack about how my gas milage was going to go in the dirt. It did not.

BertaNation

Just a comment. Moved from 3.73s to 5.38s on my 2013. Tires are 315's. Spent two days wheelin' in Moab and covered 950 miles total on the trip. Gas Milage: 16.8 mpg. I was catching a lot of flack about how my gas milage was going to go in the dirt. It did not.

Wow 5.38. I was iffy on running 513. Decided on 488 and then after installation I thought 456 would have been plenty
Running 35s myself
U have future plans of going w bigger tires

Suprchrgd_rubi

I just lifted mine 3.5 on 35" with 3:73, waiting on the Adams drive shafts already have the g2 4:88 waiting patiently. I was going to go 4:56 then got talked into the 4:88 cause I have a 6x12 trailer to pull occasionally, camping gear

Last edited:

Speeddmn

Fyi, 315 is the width, I had 305's on my mustang... I also understand that most people would know that you meant a 315/70'ish/17 hopefully for a tire size.

A 315/30/18 is no where near the same as a 315/70/17. Like 5 ish inches in different , so just want people to be on the same page for accurate information.

Ddays

Hooked
Wow 5.38. I was iffy on running 513. Decided on 488 and then after installation I thought 456 would have been plenty
Running 35s myself

Don't forget he's running a D44 front since that's a Rubicon.

BertaNation

Fyi, 315 is the width, I had 305's on my mustang... I also understand that most people would know that you meant a 315/70'ish/17 hopefully for a tire size.

A 315/30/18 is no where near the same as a 315/70/17. Like 5 ish inches in different , so just want people to be on the same page for accurate information.

Got ya mine are 315/70/17 also just easier for me to say 35s

I currently run a 315/70/17 tire, now I've been reading a lot on this thread and other threads, the common thing I see is that you CAN run 5.13s on a Dana 30 but it can be a weak spot now is it "common" for a break with them or depends on your wheeling? I'm not wheeling to hard I'm slowly learning to wheel and to take better lines etc so with my cautious driving will I have troubles? I would like 5.13s simply for the hills and valleys and hill climbs in Arizona. Any opinions? Also would C gussets be helpful on my Dana 30 just for some extra strength I plan on keeping the d30 for a while(till my jeeps paid off) then I'll be wanting a 1 ton swap.

JK LYF

I currently run a 315/70/17 tire, now I've been reading a lot on this thread and other threads, the common thing I see is that you CAN run 5.13s on a Dana 30 but it can be a weak spot now is it "common" for a break with them or depends on your wheeling? I'm not wheeling to hard I'm slowly learning to wheel and to take better lines etc so with my cautious driving will I have troubles? I would like 5.13s simply for the hills and valleys and hill climbs in Arizona. Any opinions? Also would C gussets be helpful on my Dana 30 just for some extra strength I plan on keeping the d30 for a while(till my jeeps paid off) then I'll be wanting a 1 ton swap.

You can run 5:13s in a D30. There are those that do. I know a few that haven't had a problem. And I'm sure there are plenty that have had serious problems. As far as wheeling, driving cautious, and taking better lines, who really knows. There are simply too many variables you can encounter. You can be as cautious as possible, take the best line, and still break shit! Just know that a break is always a possibility and will increase with the lower gears (smaller pinion).

Is there anything specific that is causing you to lean towards 5:13s with your 35s? Are the hills and valleys that crazy? Are you considering 4:88s as well?

I just don't think anyone can tell you anything other than there are many variables and it's hard to tell when something's gonna break.

My opinion would be yes for the gussets. They will help with the heavier 35s. Good investment.

You can run 5:13s in a D30. There are those that do. I know a few that haven't had a problem. And I'm sure there are plenty that have had serious problems. As far as wheeling, driving cautious, and taking better lines, who really knows. There are simply too many variables you can encounter. You can be as cautious as possible, take the best line, and still break shit! Just know that a break is always a possibility and will increase with the lower gears (smaller pinion).

Is there anything specific that is causing you to lean towards 5:13s with your 35s? Are the hills and valleys that crazy? Are you considering 4:88s as well?

I just don't think anyone can tell you anything other than there are many variables and it's hard to tell when something's gonna break.

My opinion would be yes for the gussets. They will help with the heavier 35s. Good investment.

The reason for the 5.13s is because of the constant driving up and down the hills and such(the elevation between Phoenix and flagstaff is 3000 feet and I drive it somewhat often I'm stuck behind the semi trucks the whole time in the slow lane!) and I wanted to go to 37s (but probably won't with a d30) but I've heard a lot of good things regarding 5.13s that influenced my choice! But yes I've been debating 4.88s as well since it is a better fit In a d30. Any advice there? And I heard that EVO gussets are a very good investment! So I've been checking those out!

JK LYF

I'm sure someone that has experience with that setup will chime in. EVO is great. Can't go wrong with those! Good luck with your decision and let us know how it goes.

BillTheCat

Running 35s myself

I do have plans for 37s! According to my wife we don't have endless funds. I don't think she's trying hard enough. ;)

BillTheCat

Correct! I'm currently running 315/70/17.

Top Bottom