Do Yourself a Favor - Regear Your 2012-Up JK!!

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Personally, I don't care how the information is given to me if I am about to make a huge mistake with my jeep.

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

There is no need to worry about regearing now. Just take these mods 1 step at a time. Determine what is important for you and start there, then 1 step at a time. Your jeep won't self-destruct.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I wanted to report that the 4.88's I just installed are perfect for "35's".

2015 JK automatic with 315 duratracs (33.75" tall with weight on them). RPM's are 2500@60 and 2850@70.

Take off from a stop is much improved. The jeep barely downshifts now where it used to need to kick down on every little uphill with the 4:10's.

My only worry is when I go to 37's in a few years, I'll probably wish I went 5.13, but I only have 12,000 miles on my tires so it'll be awhile.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

2015 JK automatic with 315 duratracs (33.75" tall with weight on them). RPM's are 2500@60 and 2850@70.

Take off from a stop is much improved. The jeep barely downshifts now where it used to need to kick down on every little uphill with the 4:10's.

My only worry is when I go to 37's in a few years, I'll probably wish I went 5.13, but I only have 12,000 miles on my tires so it'll be awhile.

That's good to know, because the only thing I miss about the stock tires, is the way it drives on the road. I now have that aggravating kick down on a slight grade.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

wcarlson40

How did your gas mileage change?

zimm

Caught the Bug
It's too early to tell but on the ride home (55 miles) going 60mph computer showed 18 mpg when I got home. It's never been that high. Yes corrected with aev pro cal. Not having to kick down and rev out motor is probably helping. I'll report back after a tank. I was getting 12-13 hand calculated before with mixed driving. I hope I picked up a mpg.

Last edited:

zimm

Caught the Bug
After 2 tanks of gas my MPG has settled in at 13.6 for mixed driving- I have a 12 mile commute that's half highway, half stop and go, and about a mile of gridlock. It does drive a hell of lot better though. Shift quicker, fast off the line, etc. The only "negative" if you can call it that is that it takes several long seconds for the tranny to get up into 5th on the highway, but that's just a nit-pick. It downshift a lot less when driving too. What a great mod!

wcarlson40

After 2 tanks of gas my MPG has settled in at 13.6 for mixed driving- I have a 12 mile commute that's half highway, half stop and go, and about a mile of gridlock. It does drive a hell of lot better though. Shift quicker, fast off the line, etc. The only "negative" if you can call it that is that it takes several long seconds for the tranny to get up into 5th on the highway, but that's just a nit-pick. It downshift a lot less when driving too. What a great mod!

Thanks for the update

notnalc68

I've posted about this in my build thread, but this great thread deserves a bump. Wayoflife is right. Oh what a difference!

I have a 2014 JKU Rubicon, with an automatic transmission, that came with 4.10 gears. After putting on 315/70r17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, that measured about 33.75, and programming for the new tire size, with an AEV Procal, my rpm dropped to around 2450 at 70 mph. The 3.6L handled everything pretty well, but when driving in hills, the engine could not hold speed as well, without downshifting a lot more.

IMG_8591.jpg

Yesterday, I had my differentials regeared to 4.88. My current rpm at 70 mph, is right around 2900, or essentially 300 above stock rpm, with stock tires. The chart, here, seems very accurate.

IMG_8620.jpg
IMG_5605.jpg

The 3.6L doesn't seem to be bothered at that rpm. It ran close to that, going 80 mph, before the regear. I may reduce my driving speeds, in the interest of fuel economy, but now I feel like the Jeep has its powerband back!

For your reference, my 60 mph rpm are about what 70 mph was with the metric 35's, and it doesn't shift as badly as it did.

Last edited:

Battle Born JK

I too just got 4.88 installed 2015 3.6 manual what a difference from 3.21 with 315-70-17 great power never new the 3.6 was this good now just cant wait to get out and wheel it

notnalc68

I too just got 4.88 installed 2015 3.6 manual what a difference from 3.21 with 315-70-17 great power never new the 3.6 was this good now just cant wait to get out and wheel it

I'm pretty pleased, that I skipped 4.56, and went 4.88. If I lose any gas mileage, I'll just chalk that up to the cost of having fun! [emoji2]

Top Bottom