Down Under JKUR (AKA "Bundy")

Wizard

Building of "Bundy"

I've never had anything to do with Jeeps of any kind before, but after watching all the fantastic Wayalife videos, including the JK Experience trips, I was convinced that the JK way of life was for me. I put my Nissan Patrol up for sale, which was a hard thing to do, as I'd owned it for 15 years, and put a lot or work into it, and taken it to some pretty special/iconic places here in Australia. I went in for a test drive of an Unlimited JK Sport, and walked out having ordered an Unlimited Rubicon auto.

Now the hard bit. I had to wait 4 months for my new Rubicon to be built and delivered, however this gave me plenty of time to sort out a few essentials that I needed. My Patrol sold, which gave me some spare cash to order some of the dearer bits, and so get them on the way as well.

Finally I got word that my Jeep had landed in Australia, and was ready for pickup from the Bundaberg Jeep dealer. I caught two planes to get from my home in the Hunter Valley to get to Bundaberg, picked it up, and then drove 1100 kms (680 miles and 13 hours) home.

Pick up day. One very happy customer.

IMG_0897Small_zps9922898b.jpg

Cotton Fields on the way home.

IMG_0902Small_zps4984e514.jpg

The build up on this JK is never going to equal some of the monster ones which I've seen on here, and will be aimed more towards what we call touring (travelling), I think you guys might call it adventure or expedition type travel. Our registration laws make it very hard to do too much without a lot of inspections and paperwork, so I'm hoping to avoid all those headaches, and keep the mods pretty basic.

After four weeks of ownership I've installed a trailer brake controller, GME TX4600 UHF radio, a Teraflex levelling kit, ARB Hi-capacity compressor, and also replaced the Goodyear Wrangler road tyres which come standard in Australia on new JK's with a set of BF Goodrich KM2's in 285/70R17 (33's).

GME TX4600 UHF radio mounted on speaker bar.

IMG_0938Small_zps4ae17417.jpg

ARB compressor mounted under drivers seat.

IMG_0959_zps19662e68.jpg

BFG KM2's fitted.

IMG_1008_zps756102c7.jpg

JKshoot015_zps2d7c00cb.jpg

I tow a camper trailer when travelling, and have only just come back from a weekend away, in fact this was the first real trip away in the JK, and it performed great.

My old Patrol with the new JK.

bylongjune13069_zps642b2de5.jpg

On the tracks.

bylongjune13430_zpsdf526013.jpg

IMG_14511Custom_zpsd06d5bcb.jpg

Heading for home after a weekend away.

BylongCreek4x4June2013p127Small_zps6e5819c2.jpg

I'm now waiting for a new AEV premium bullbar to arrive, as well as an AEV rear bar and wheel carrier, and also a GOBI Stealth roofrack.

Last edited:

Galarno17

Very Nice,

I want to be in Australia, its my dream :p

ONe day!!!!! I'll be there with my JK

Nice project...WAYALIFE, it's more than just a Jeep

Wizard

Congrats on the new rubicon. How about some pics of that trailer your towing all set up.

The camper is a Camp-o-matic Ranger XTC, and comes with slide out kitchen, built in fridge, 200 AH of battery storage, 120 ltr (26 gallon) water tank, and a boat loader and motor slide if you're into boats.

We've taken it through some pretty tough tracks, and had water half way up the side of it in river crossings, and it's never let us down or leaked water or dust in.

This is the camper with a basic setup.

BylongCreek4x4June2013p032_zps8e582c12.jpg

We don't normally take all the canvas walls away with us (too heavy), but if needed it can set up into this.

Camperfullsize.jpg

This is with the boat on the top.

Camper57640x627.jpg

NTRubicon

Nice setup on the Rubicon and agreed on the difficulties with AUS road regulations.

I'm still waiting on delivery of my own JKUR (on order since Feb 11th) to Australia, but fingers crossed for mid/late July.

Couple of questions about your build, did you have to use spacers to fit the KM2s on the stock rims? How bad were the stock tyres? Best as I can tell they are a 50/50 tread.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE m

Wizard

Nice setup on the Rubicon and agreed on the difficulties with AUS road regulations.

I'm still waiting on delivery of my own JKUR (on order since Feb 11th) to Australia, but fingers crossed for mid/late July.

Couple of questions about your build, did you have to use spacers to fit the KM2s on the stock rims? How bad were the stock tyres? Best as I can tell they are a 50/50 tread.

Thanks mate.

Have you received the VIN number of your Jeep yet from your Jeep dealer. Once I received this I contacted U.S. Jeep Customer Assistance Center and they supplied me with all the expected progress dates (build, US docks, Australian Docks, dealer). This information was very accurate when it came to arrival dates in Australia. Hope it helps for you.

I was told the 33's would fit with the standard suspension, but wanted to pick the vehicle up a little just to try and avoid dragging its belly on any rocks. I also fitted a set of Polyair bags as well to help carry the weight of the camper.

The Goodyear Wrangler tyres which came fitted to my Rubicon I would say were more like 80% road 20% offroad orientated, but having said that they performed quite well when I took them offroad last weekend. I changed tyres to go larger and to get muddies, as I do quite a bit of offroad driving, and very little daily bitumen driving.

Hope this helps. If you need to know anything else don't hesitate to contact me.

NTRubicon

Have you received the VIN number of your Jeep yet from your Jeep dealer.

No VIN from the dealer, but not for lack of trying. I have been into the dealership about twice a week since Feb to get updates and am continually told that they don't get told anything by their importer.. Or some such drivel. Basically, 'when it gets here, we'll call you to come and collect it'

I was told the 33's would fit with the standard suspension, but wanted to pick the vehicle up a little just to try and avoid dragging its belly on any rocks. I also fitted a set of Polyair bags as well to help carry the weight of the camper.

I'm in the same sort of idea level of modification as you. I'm aiming for low COG build with larger rubber and less suspension modification. I like the airbags too, but not planning on getting a camper for a few years yet. I hear they really make a difference to the ride and handling when towing.

The Goodyear Wrangler tyres which came fitted to my Rubicon I would say were more like 80% road 20% offroad orientated, but having said that they performed quite well when I took them offroad last weekend. I changed tyres to go larger and to get muddies, as I do quite a bit of offroad driving, and very little daily bitumen driving.

Out here in the desert, mud/rain is rare, so I'm hoping the stock tyres will do the job until they are worn out, then perhaps I'll aim for another AT tyre in future.

Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE m

Wizard

Well almost 3 months after ordering my AEV front and rear bar, AEV Heat reduction bonnet, and Gobi Stealth roofrack, I'm still patiently waiting. I have it on good authority that the Gobi Rack has now landed in Australia, and the rest of the gear is due to land within days. With a big snow trip to the Victorian High Country planned in August, I think I'm going to be pushed to get everything ready in time.

So no real mods done lately, although I have added a couple of stickers if they count.

Love this sticker.

HB002Small_zps3546fa20.jpg

A little Aussie touch.

HB001Small_zpsf338034f.jpg

A warning for my passengers.

Warning001Small_zps6281b633.jpg

Aeraun

Waiting is the worst part, but will make getting everything sweeter. Great stickers, I love the passenger warning. Where did you get that one?

GuillaumeC91

Haha awesome! I'm guessing most North American's won't get this, but "Bundy" is a pretty good alias for an Australian Jeep! :clap2:

bundy-bottles.jpg

Wizard

Haha awesome! I'm guessing most North American's won't get this, but "Bundy" is a pretty good alias for an Australian Jeep! :clap2:

You got it! I grew up in Bundaberg, I don't mind a drink of Bundaberg Rum, and I went back there to buy my white JK.

Bundaberg Rum have been using a big white Polar Bear as their mascot for years, and its name is "Bundy", so when it came time to select a name for our Jeep, "Bundy" seamed the obvious choice.

BundyRum_zpsc12ad2ad.jpg

Top Bottom