Down Under JKUR (AKA "Bundy")

Wizard

Can't believe it. Just on three months since ordering the extras for my Jeep, everything has now landed in Australia from the US, and should be almost on the transport trucks to be delivered. Everything that is, except for the AEV heat reduction bonnet. Apparently a different brand of bonnet was sent in this order, so I now have to wait another 3-4 weeks for another container to arrive from the US. :doh:

Wizard

Gobi Stealth Roofrack Fitted

Gobi Stealth roofrack, ladder, sunroof insert and deflector fitted. Very happy with the fit and finish.

DBOR002Small_zps3ad064d7.jpg

DBOR008Small_zpscd79ab0f.jpg

DBOR009Small_zps161e701a.jpg

DBOR020Small_zps55439daa.jpg

No front or rear bar fitted at the moment as I'm waiting for AEV ones to arrive.

Last edited:

Wizard

Can't believe it. Just on three months since ordering the extras for my Jeep, everything has now landed in Australia from the US, and should be almost on the transport trucks to be delivered. Everything that is, except for the AEV heat reduction bonnet. Apparently a different brand of bonnet was sent in this order, so I now have to wait another 3-4 weeks for another container to arrive from the US. :doh:

This didn't go well, with my Australian supplier sending all my AEV gear to the wrong end of the country, and then wouldn't do the right thing and pay to get it back to me. So after almost three months I got a full refund and started looking for another supplier, back to square one.

The good news is I found one, and six days after ordering an AEV bullbar through them, it was sitting on my door step ready to be bolted on.

I fitted it up yesterday, and am very happy with the way it looks.

IMG_1141_zpsa8b9105d.jpg

IMG_1142_zpse122f8ed.jpg

BampI005_zpsac2d063c.jpg

I've also fitted a stainless steel fold down table to the rear door for when we're out camping.

UNeekTable023Small_zpse160da72.jpg

UNeekTable0261Small_zps4313ddd3.jpg

UNeekTable020Small_zps9aa7de13.jpg

I've also added an awning to the roofrack, to give a bit of protection when it's raining.

AwningMount6Small_zps9306973c.jpg

2ndSnowTrip010Small_zpsca92e369.jpg

Last edited:

Wizard

Fitted up my old Warn M8000 winch.

WinchComplete023_zpsb64afc2f.jpg

Wired up the winch and solenoid. I was pretty happy with the finished results of the cable lugs I crimped.

WinchComplete003_zpscba1ad6a.jpg

Mounted up the Albright winch control solenoid on the firewall.

WinchComplete002_zpsafaebef6.jpg

And used a flat 7 pin trailer plug for the winch controller.

Winchwiring010_zpsc776daa6.jpg

Winchwiring011_zpsaa949252.jpg

All done and ready to roll.

WinchComplete025_zps088a9fb1.jpg

Wizard

The Jeep is finally starting to look like it's ready to tackle some decent tracks. 4 1/2" suspension kit fitted, which included mostly Synergy components with Fox remote reservoir shocks.

Out with the old.

Lift001_zpse3565d0d.jpg

In with the new.

And the end result.

Wizard

Fitted a set of second hand Pro Comp Xtreme (Series 7089), which are finished off in what they call a CAST-BLAST™ finish.

pxa7089_zpsa6e1d331.png

Fit and finish.

IMG_1200_zpsad2899b2.jpg

IMG_1207_zpsb02b78cb.jpg

The end result.

IMG_1209_zpsb1a08e4d.jpg

Wizard

Quick update.

The Jeeps been getting plenty of use, with trips to various parts of Australia.

Victorian High Country

2ndSnowTrip082Small_zps35c221d5.jpg

2ndSnowTrip074Small_zpsebd0c30f.jpg

Stockton Beach

StocktonSeptember2013007_zpsff2f8540.jpg

StocktonSeptember2013022r2_zpsd6b5795c.jpg

Watagans State Forest

WatagansTurpentine041MediumSmall_zps6f82ab1b.jpg

JKA002_zpsc2800a08.jpg

JKA005_zps9fb85e5c.jpg

On one of the last trips I damaged a rear tailshaft so replaced both front and back drive shafts with Tom Wood's Drive shafts (1350 rear and 1310 front).

Woody011Small_zps3b642b2f.jpg

I've got another trip coming up down to the Victorian High Country, which could include some deep river crossings, so had an AEV snorkel fitted.

Snorkel002_zps8b60bb44.jpg

I also fitted up a Rugged Ridge A-pillar pod and some custom rocker switches.

gg002_zpsb83c5ae2.jpg

gg004_zps12f2478c.jpg

Extended the front and rear diff breathers up and out of the water.

Rear one I took up into the tail light cavity.

DiffBreathers007_zps951c7ea9.jpg

And the front one up between the firewall and battery.

DiffBreathers010_zpscedb7211.jpg

Hmmmm, I think that's all for now.

Last edited:

KtmJono

Hi Wizard,
How do you find the Fox reservoirs? Are they the Teraflex tuned version? Also how's the ride with the synergy lift? Do you like the springs with the shocks? Awesome build btw, I'd love to do something similar with a 2 door.. but maybe with a 1.5 - 2.5" lift.. Maybe.. So many options its confusing. I've done some rides in the Vic h/c during summer but would love to see it in winter with the snow.. It's on my bucket list :D

Wizard

Hi Wizard,
How do you find the Fox reservoirs? Are they the Teraflex tuned version? Also how's the ride with the synergy lift? Do you like the springs with the shocks? Awesome build btw, I'd love to do something similar with a 2 door.. but maybe with a 1.5 - 2.5" lift.. Maybe.. So many options its confusing. I've done some rides in the Vic h/c during summer but would love to see it in winter with the snow.. It's on my bucket list :D

The shocks are good, but I don't think they are Teraflex tuned. They are listed as Fox 2.0 Performance Series Shocks. I had intended to only get the monotube Fox shocks, but the day I went in to have it done, I was told the remote res units would give me slightly longer travel, so went with them.

The Synergy progressive rate coils give a good ride when not loaded, and carry the weight of my camper trailer well, but I'm not convinced they are going to last, as they are already showing signs of sagging on one side. I'm very keen to give the Suspension Stuff flexy coils a run if I have to change these ones out.

If I had my time over again, I'd probably only go 3" as there are a few more complications with the larger lifts to get sorted, but having said that I do love the clearance and travel I have with the 4 1/2".

We do a trip down to the snow every year, and you're very welcome to tag along.

KtmJono

The shocks are good, but I don't think they are Teraflex tuned. They are listed as Fox 2.0 Performance Series Shocks. I had intended to only get the monotube Fox shocks, but the day I went in to have it done, I was told the remote res units would give me slightly longer travel, so went with them.

The Synergy progressive rate coils give a good ride when not loaded, and carry the weight of my camper trailer well, but I'm not convinced they are going to last, as they are already showing signs of sagging on one side. I'm very keen to give the Suspension Stuff flexy coils a run if I have to change these ones out.

If I had my time over again, I'd probably only go 3" as there are a few more complications with the larger lifts to get sorted, but having said that I do love the clearance and travel I have with the 4 1/2".

We do a trip down to the snow every year, and you're very welcome to tag along.

Good stuff. That camper trailer looks like it has some weight to it. Thanks for the invite on the snow trip, man I'd love to do that. if I'm able to make the dates and what not I'd love to tag along :thumb:

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Quick question - why do all you Aussie guys mount your antenna on the front bumper? I've noticed a trend and was just curious about that.

The rig looks awesome btw.

Wizard

Quick question - why do all you Aussie guys mount your antenna on the front bumper? I've noticed a trend and was just curious about that.

The rig looks awesome btw.

Dave I drive a lot of tracks which are very overgrown with trees and bushes, so keeping the aerial towards the centre of the vehicle keeps it away from this and reduces the chance of it being snapped off. Above the rear tyre carrier was another option for me, but again it's up very high and so susceptible to tree strikes (and too high to get in the shed)).

Is on the back of the vehicle the normal spot over there?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Dave I drive a lot of tracks which are very overgrown with trees and bushes, so keeping the aerial towards the centre of the vehicle keeps it away from this and reduces the chance of it being snapped off. Above the rear tyre carrier was another option for me, but again it's up very high and so susceptible to tree strikes (and too high to get in the shed)).

Is on the back of the vehicle the normal spot over there?

yea it is a standard. you can see mine inbetween my soft top and my tire
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1383595511.162380.jpg

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Yeah, there are a couple different companies that make a little bracket that utilize an existing bolt hole around your spare tire carrier which you can mount the antenna to. Here's an example - Jeep JK Antenna Mount

I don't think this would position the antenna base any higher than the bull bar for you.

Wizard

One thing that I noticed, and was a little surprises about, was that you guys are still mostly using Citizen Band (CB) radios. This band of 2-way radio is very rare in Australia now, as four wheel drivers and truck drivers predominantly use UHF radios here.

I wonder if this different radio type allows you to position your aerials much closer to the body without effecting radio performance. I don't know much about this stuff, but would worry about creating a big transmission shadow if I mounted my UHF aerial down behind the vehicle. If I was to mount my aerial at the back, I think I'd try and mount it at roof height. Maybe someone with some knowledge of this might be able to help.

Top Bottom