Epic Day-trip to Angelina National Forest, TX

you know you can log onto the forest service website and pick up a pdf file of the mvum not only for here but also for Sabine N.F. as well as Davey Crockett N.F. as all 3 are pretty much connected in this general area .. 69 runs down between Angelina and Davey while Sabine is up a bit more N.E. of Angelina ...... there are a few good dispersed camping spots in all 3 as well as quite a few hiking trails if you want to get out and on foot to see the sights even less seen ....... only thing I've found is that most of the forest roads are dead ends would love if they looped a few into some others to make some decent loops instead of down and back on the same route ..

Yep, definitely found a handful of dead ends at Angelina. Sabine has been on our list to get to as well! I'll have to check out the forest service website and get that pdf file that connects all of the trails. I didn't hike much at Angelina, but it might be worth parking at Boykin Springs and just hiking over to the Sawmill, since we'll have quite a few jeeps. I remember it only being about 1.5 miles or so from the Springs to the Sawmill. Thanks for helping us out! And feel free to join the trip if you want!

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
Yep, definitely found a handful of dead ends at Angelina. Sabine has been on our list to get to as well! I'll have to check out the forest service website and get that pdf file that connects all of the trails. I didn't hike much at Angelina, but it might be worth parking at Boykin Springs and just hiking over to the Sawmill, since we'll have quite a few jeeps. I remember it only being about 1.5 miles or so from the Springs to the Sawmill. Thanks for helping us out! And feel free to join the trip if you want!

thanks for the invite , not sure yet if I am working that weekend or not , am however off this weekend and will be out jeepin for sure , plan on doing a bit of camping in Davey C. at a spot called pond springs , pretty nice little lily covered pond along side one of the hiking trails running through the forest , may wind up over in Angelina for the second night out as I did a bit of checking on the mvum an saw a few dispersed camping areas right in the general area of boykin springs and the saw mill ..... in case anyone else wanted the mvum's for em I thought since i have it i may as well put a link up for em http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/texas/maps-pubs/?cid=stelprdb5300457 .. it hasl the mvum's for the national forests and grass lands in Texas

thanks for the invite , not sure yet if I am working that weekend or not , am however off this weekend and will be out jeepin for sure , plan on doing a bit of camping in Davey C. at a spot called pond springs , pretty nice little lily covered pond along side one of the hiking trails running through the forest , may wind up over in Angelina for the second night out as I did a bit of checking on the mvum an saw a few dispersed camping areas right in the general area of boykin springs and the saw mill ..... in case anyone else wanted the mvum's for em I thought since i have it i may as well put a link up for em http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/texas/maps-pubs/?cid=stelprdb5300457 .. it hasl the mvum's for the national forests and grass lands in Texas

This is great, thanks for posting this up. So if I'm reading this correct, the trails we were driving on to get to Boykin Springs rec area are only open 9/1 - 2/15 of the year? Was I driving illegally? :idontknow:

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
This is great, thanks for posting this up. So if I'm reading this correct, the trails we were driving on to get to Boykin Springs rec area are only open 9/1 - 2/15 of the year? Was I driving illegally? :idontknow:

na cause 313 is a year round open ... if you look at 313 then say 302a which runs down alongside it but has a kinda a fatter grey line to show it that's one of the seasonal routes .. you might have went down a seasonal route to get onto 313 dunno , but route i would take in would be 314 then left onto 303 up to a right onto 302 then the right onto 313 follow it in to boykin , as you know already the left fork on 313 will take you down to the mill .. some dispersed camping on the way in on 302 , but also down in the mill area on 326c , i myself try to get in up by the lake itself on 308 h until a bit later when the rest of 308 is open , during the week its pretty empty for the most part while weekends some of the dispersed spots can be pretty well taken up

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this up. I got to Boykin by coming in on 63 and making a left onto 313. Then following down to the right. Good thing that all the seasonal trails will be open 9/1 so we shouldn't run into any issues.

Jackal01

Bumping this for the September 10th trip. I remembered I work Sunday night so we will not be camping Saturday night but we are game for a full day trip, probably have dinner around there too. Just cannot camp.

Who's still in?

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Bumping this for the September 10th trip. I remembered I work Sunday night so we will not be camping Saturday night but we are game for a full day trip, probably have dinner around there too. Just cannot camp.

Who's still in?

Check.jpg :thankyou:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Where do we wanna meet? Last time we took 99 from Tomball to 59. And what time to meet? 8? 9?

I don't have a toll tag, and looking this up, I was under the impression it was an hour away, not 2 hrs and 45 minutes each way. I'll have to talk to Ash and see if she still wants to go. But yeah, 8 or 9 is fine

Jackal01

I don't have a toll tag, and looking this up, I was under the impression it was an hour away, not 2 hrs and 45 minutes each way. I'll have to talk to Ash and see if she still wants to go. But yeah, 8 or 9 is fine

Yea it's not close. With that said, Davey Crockett NF is about an hour away north. I've never been but we could hit that up. I'm fine with staying closer for sure. Sam Houston still has closed trails I think so I don't want to go there. I think someone earlier mentioned Davey Crockett...?

Edit: Well I am trying to read up on national forests. It appears the OHV trail in Sam Houston NF is the only one designated for OHV use. So that would mean that us trail riding on any other trail would be illegal...?

Last edited:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Yea it's not close. With that said, Davey Crockett NF is about an hour away north. I've never been but we could hit that up. I'm fine with staying closer for sure. Sam Houston still has closed trails I think so I don't want to go there. I think someone earlier mentioned Davey Crockett...?

Edit: Well I am trying to read up on national forests. It appears the OHV trail in Sam Houston NF is the only one designated for OHV use. So that would mean that us trail riding on any other trail would be illegal...?

I'm down for whatever. :idontknow:

I think I'm going to hanging right around he house with the wifey this weekend. Was in CA for a wedding last weekend. Austin this past weekend for he UT /Irish game. And have to travel for work next week. My wife is beginning to think I don't exist lol

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
dunno if Davey Crockett is closer for you guys down Houston way or not I know from up here in tyler it is slightly more than a hour for me to get into it while Angelina is a bit more of a drive at 21/2 -3 depending on where I enter in at .... if I go down to county line road on 69 heading into Bouton lake its on the 3 hour end if not a little more where as if I go 69 to zavalla and take 63 its on the 2 hour end of it ............ last time I was down there I did cut across to apple springs and come back home through Davey but I also was checking out some of the hunter camp areas for places to set up at ... and yes Sam Houston and the ohv trail is currently closed for evaluation , its not the only one they have as there are some forest roads within it as well (on the map at least ) , not sure if the entire area is closed or not but I wouldn't think it was fully closed would need to check with the ranger station in New Waverly to find out the most current info for there ... for Angelina it would be the ranger station in Zavalla , while Davey Crockett is in Kennard .. feel free to drop me a msg and I can pass along the contact info for whichever one you need to reach if needed ...I also posted up a link previously to get to the pdf files for the mvum for those 3 as well as Sabine N.f. in the texas destinations thread which I think also lists the contact info on the side

Top Bottom