Evo bolt on coilover install

HDGasser

Did you check the CRC at full drop, at a certain point the heims will go full bind. Curious if the arms clear the coilovers as well.

Yessir! The rear end actually drops out a couple inches more thanks the coilovers and clears at full stuff withOUT coils.

I haven't been able to check it all at full bump with coils installed, It's gonna be close but I think it should all work well.

Soon as I get the front end done and get a forklift under it and twisted up I'll let you know the results and take some pics.

Asinine

I run both and it works well. I may go long arm next year. I havent been able to dial in everything yet, its a slow process for me to get time on the jeep.
Thanks for the feedback. It's a bummer MC doesn't make a long arm kit, that would be an easy decision.

Asinine

Why Evo mfg long arm has been beaten on Evo1, it's a proven kit with proven currie Johnny Joints.
Proven indeed.

My take: Duroflex over JJ for less vibration; local wheelers swear by the MC arms and joints; and I'm not running WOT in the desert where I'd mostly see the benefits of long-arms. I recently drove a JKUR with MC arms it rode great. If the MC arms limit me, I can long arm later.

Other factors (for me) are I don't weld and the EVO long arm install in a 2012+ is a PITA. It also bugs me that I haven't been able to find out how long the EVO arms actually are and why the UCA frame mount is 90 degrees from OEM, but neither are deal-breakers.

And now back to EVO coilovers!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Proven indeed.

My take: Duroflex over JJ for less vibration

Is this some kind of fact that you can prove or just saying what you've been sold on through MC's great marketing? To be clear, unlike factory Clevite bushings that have a lot of rubber between the crush sleeve and the housing to absorb road noise, the DuroFlex joint has a minimal amount of rubber between the ball inside and the housing. Sure, it's still rubber but you need more material to actually make a difference.

...local wheelers swear by the MC arms and joints

I'm sure they do just like everyone I know who's just spent good coin on a product that they've chosen to buy. Of course, being that the Duroflex joints are so new, I find it hard to believe that anyone could have enough experience with them to actually swear by them. But hey, that's just me.

...and I'm not running WOT in the desert where I'd mostly see the benefits of long-arms.

Funny, I see the most benefits from running long arms ON PAVEMENT. :idontknow:

I recently drove a JKUR with MC arms it rode great.

Over the past 7+ years, I have personally installed and tested a myriad of short arms with different joints and so long as they were all dialed, they all "rode" great. Imagine that.

If the MC arms limit me, I can long arm later.

Long arms will NOT increase your flex, they simply help to correct your suspension geometry and by virtue of it, help provide a nicer ride. :rolleyes2:

Other factors (for me) are I don't weld and the EVO long arm install in a 2012+ is a PITA.

Any long arm kit on a 2012+ will give you grief as the exhaust loop will get in the way and will require some modifications. If you don't want to weld, you can always get a Full Traction long arm. I have installed and run it in the past and it's all bolt on.

It also bugs me that I haven't been able to find out how long the EVO arms actually are...

And exactly why would this make a difference?

...and why the UCA frame mount is 90 degrees from OEM, but neither are deal-breakers.

They do this so that you get greater clearance and it can be done due to the fact that they use a uniball at the frame mount. Yes, god forbid, there is no rubber or to help absorb road noise but thanks to the true body mounts that come on a JK and are isolators instead of pucks like the old TJ's had, it really doesn't matter.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Again, I will note that the MC Duroflex joints just came out and already, we are seeing breaks like this...

mc-01.jpg

mc-02.jpg

And bushings that look like this...

MC-joint-01.jpg

MC-joint-02.jpg

Just sayin...

Asinine

The newest revisions of the links use forged ends. I drank the Kool-Aid after that post, I'm now an EVO fanboy, all EVO, all the time....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The newest revisions of the links use forged ends.

Yeah, I've heard that one too. Not saying this is you but, I do find it funny how everyone who chose to buy these new joint sang nothing but praises about them, swore by them, touted how much better they were than everything else and when they were proven to be a subpar product, they can't even have the humility to admit they were wrong. All they can do is say how they changed their design. Too bad it won't help prevent the bushing from blowing out :naw:

I drank the Kool-Aid after that post, I'm now an EVO fanboy, all EVO, all the time....

I'm pretty sure that Currie made Johnny Joints, not EVO.

TheStick

For full disclosure the one example of a break was on a custom LA setup and was used outside of recommended specs (only used on one end and rotated 90° I believe).

Wear of the joints is a concern, and agree they are still relatively new so long term abuse has not really tested.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For full disclosure the one example of a break was on a custom LA setup and was used outside of recommended specs (only used on one end and rotated 90° I believe).

Don't get me wrong but, how it was used when it BROKE really shouldn't make a difference.

Wear of the joints is a concern, and agree they are still relatively new so long term abuse has not really tested.

Yes, they are still new and short term use has already proven them to blow out prematurely. Based on the bench testing I have done, it really isn't any wonder why either. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for manufacturers trying new things but the way people praise this new joint as being the next thing since sliced bread is a little amusing. I'm still running on the same Johnny Joints that I installed back in 2010, haven't rebuilt them once and have put on maybe 80,000 miles on them running the kind of trails you see in our videos multiple times a month and sometimes everyday for weeks on end during the summer and they are still holding up just fine.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass

I thought these joints out flexed anything on the market? If anything long arms help bushings and joints last longer..

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I thought these joints out flexed anything on the market? If anything long arms help bushings and joints last longer..

That's how they've been marketed. Don't know how something that is supposed to out flex anything else out there could even have a recommended spec that can be worked outside of. :idontknow:

Flyer

Been reading about Synergy coming out with new joints. Will be interesting to see if they truly have a better product. I tend to agree that that MC joints may just have too little material in them for prolonged hard use. I also heard about some new maintenance video MC was coming out with but when I called, they were pretty cryptic about it. It had to do with the joints. It is all I know. I'll call them again next week...been 3-4 weeks since I called and they told me then that it would be out in two weeks.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer

Did he replaced with duroflex or Johnny joints?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Been reading about Synergy coming out with new joints. Will be interesting to see if they truly have a better product. I tend to agree that that MC joints may just have too little material in them for prolonged hard use. I also heard about some new maintenance video MC was coming out with but when I called, they were pretty cryptic about it. It had to do with the joints. It is all I know. I'll call them again next week...been 3-4 weeks since I called and they told me then that it would be out in two weeks.

Really? Synergy?? It's such a surprise that you would post that up :cheesy:

Flyer

Why? Do you have a problem with Synergy? Are they banned here? Is there history? Why is that so hilarious? I have used RK arms, have used ROKMEN JJ arms, but have not used any others. I have been intrigued by Metalcloak arms and the Synergy joints were then mentioned, and some pics posted (I think on JKO). You sure seem to be very sensitive about this, and I have no idea why that is cheesy.

Really? Synergy?? It's such a surprise that you would post that up :cheesy:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Why? Do you have a problem with Synergy? Are they banned here? Is there history? Why is that so hilarious? I have used RK arms, have used ROKMEN JJ arms, but have not used any others. I have been intrigued by Metalcloak arms and the Synergy joints were then mentioned, and some pics posted (I think on JKO). You sure seem to be very sensitive about this, and I have no idea why that is cheesy.

Lol If I had to guess you have a history and are just another troll. Enjoy your stay I'm sure it's short lived.

Top Bottom