Evo bolt on coilover install

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I have the jeep up on jacks, installing the coilovers currently and plan on doing the double d long arm bolt on myself. The whole exhaust flip has be mind flipped as to where to cut. Aside from that, i think i read in one of these threads that someone had done it themselves but whished they had just paid a shop to do it. Before i start cutting and hacking, which i have no problems doing myself, would it just be better to have a shop do it for the sake of time and how much would it approximately cost? If anyone has gone that route. Im located in the Phx area. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-J320V using WAYALIFE mobile app

I don’t know about cost but I can’t see it taking more than 2 hours for them to cut and weld it back up. Just cut on either side of the loop, flip, then weld.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I have the jeep up on jacks, installing the coilovers currently and plan on doing the double d long arm bolt on myself. The whole exhaust flip has be mind flipped as to where to cut. Aside from that, i think i read in one of these threads that someone had done it themselves but whished they had just paid a shop to do it. Before i start cutting and hacking, which i have no problems doing myself, would it just be better to have a shop do it for the sake of time and how much would it approximately cost? If anyone has gone that route. Im located in the Phx area. Any thoughts?

The whole exhaust flip:
... ahem...
Step 1: Cut the exhaust loop VERTICAL to the horizon of the planet. *READ* Do NOT cut perpendicular to the center line of the pipe. Keep it simple, stupid. :thumb:

Now there are 2 ways to go forward:

The "Less Work, but Less Room" way:
Step 2: Install your long arms now that the pesky loop is out of the way
Step 3: With everything back together, find a nice place for the loop so it clears the control arm and driveshaft, and weld it up, your done :thumb:

The "More work, but More Room" way:
Step 2: mock up driverside long arm mount. (1 bolt in the crossmemeber should do it)
Step 3: flip the loop around and put it where you want it. tack into place.
Step 4: Remove the long arm mount you mocked up previously, and weld up the loop.
Step 5: Continue back with installing the long arms.

Either way will get the job done.

Installing long arms:

IIRC, I was quoted like $2k? to install the long arms. Could be wrong, this was years ago...

I myself and several others have done the install solo. And I myself and Several others have said "next time, I'ed pay someone" Its a big job if you want to tackle it by yourself. That said, it can be done much easier with a good friend. If you opt for a solo install, just don't forget to take breaks and eat, etc, especially if you are a perfectionist like me. At the end of the day you'll be happy you did it, but IMMEDIATELY after completing you will be exhausted and think to yourself "I should have just paid a shop" and in doing so, if you are posting on this forum at that time, you will likely post exactly that. hence where it comes from. Ultimately, the install is NOT complicated. The gas tank is the hardest part IMO, because of all the different tedious connectors, clips, locks, and whatever the hell else I broke. (assuming you aren't trying to hack shit off with a repsaw)

Here's the thread While I was working through my install.
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/32711-Installing-Evo-Long-Arm-Upgrade

Last edited:

Randy Tadevich

The whole exhaust flip:
... ahem...
Step 1: Cut the exhaust loop VERTICAL to the horizon of the planet. *READ* Do NOT cut perpendicular to the center line of the pipe. Keep it simple, stupid. :thumb:

Now there are 2 ways to go forward:

The "Less Work, but Less Room" way:
Step 2: Install your long arms now that the pesky loop is out of the way
Step 3: With everything back together, find a nice place for the loop so it clears the control arm and driveshaft, and weld it up, your done :thumb:

The "More work, but More Room" way:
Step 2: mock up driverside long arm mount. (1 bolt in the crossmemeber should do it)
Step 3: flip the loop around and put it where you want it. tack into place.
Step 4: Remove the long arm mount you mocked up previously, and weld up the loop.
Step 5: Continue back with installing the long arms.

Either way will get the job done.

Installing long arms:

IIRC, I was quoted like $2k? to install the long arms. Could be wrong, this was years ago...

I myself and several others have done the install solo. And I myself and Several others have said "next time, I'ed pay someone" Its a big job if you want to tackle it by yourself. That said, it can be done much easier with a good friend. If you opt for a solo install, just don't forget to take breaks and eat, etc, especially if you are a perfectionist like me. At the end of the day you'll be happy you did it, but IMMEDIATELY after completing you will be exhausted and think to yourself "I should have just paid a shop" and in doing so, if you are posting on this forum at that time, you will likely post exactly that. hence where it comes from. Ultimately, the install is NOT complicated. The gas tank is the hardest part IMO, because of all the different tedious connectors, clips, locks, and whatever the hell else I broke. (assuming you aren't trying to hack shit off with a repsaw)

Here's the thread While I was working through my install.
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/32711-Installing-Evo-Long-Arm-Upgrade
I appreciate the honest response. I do everything myself, but this project it maybe down for awhile, yes doing it solo. There are so many beautiful days and runs to be taken right now i just want it done. Maybe ill get a quote or two and that will be my desiding factor. If i decide to do it myself, i will follow the link you attached. Much appreciated wiggles.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I appreciate the honest response. I do everything myself, but this project it maybe down for awhile, yes doing it solo. There are so many beautiful days and runs to be taken right now i just want it done. Maybe ill get a quote or two and that will be my desiding factor. If i decide to do it myself, i will follow the link you attached. Much appreciated wiggles.

If your doing it solo, and for the first time I would plan to spend 3 full 12 hr days working on the jeep if you are prepared, and are using a torch or plasma to cut the OEM stuff off.

If you are using a repsaw, expect to spend at least a few hours just grinding down what's left.

Like so many others around here, if you decide to do it solo and have questions, post here and SOMEONE will be around to help out. :thumb:

sent from SPACE!
DZZ Build thread

Last edited:

AlStew

Image1517777286.256123.jpg

Are you supposed to reuse the parking brake bracket? I just left mine off for the last few years. My e brake feels pretty bad without the bracket, but I don’t want to stretch the lines at full droop.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Benito

Caught the Bug
View attachment 292153

Are you supposed to reuse the parking brake bracket? I just left mine off for the last few years. My e brake feels pretty bad without the bracket, but I don’t want to stretch the lines at full droop.

Try cycling you e-brake a couple of times. Max pull, release, Max pull, release. You e brake should start feeling better

Top Bottom