Evo bolt on coilover install

Blackjk58

The ones in instructions. They're is a table on last page for torque by bolt size

I didn't have the instruction in my box I had to look on the Internet and the one that I found don't have the last page that you're talking with the table torque. Do you remember what is the torque ?

Thanks for your time!

Alright,

I have moved onto the rear coilover install. I have question about the upper King mounts. The instructions says to put a 1/2" washer in between the coilover eyelet mount and metal bracket to keep the coilover from rotating. Then replace the bolt with the head cap screw.

My coilovers have a inner sleeve and then a rubber bushing and the metal mounts are pretty tight. I unable to place a washer in between the eyelet and metal mount as the picture shows. There is just not enough room between the two, I can't even get one washer in there at this point.

My coilovers and the bushing and inner sleeve. You can see it has metal lip past the rubber bushing, is this new to allow the use of no washer?

With metal mount, very tight fit.

Bracket and washer just to show, there is no way I can squeeze one on both sides of the eyelet as the instructions says... lol

I might can get a larger washer that has larger inner diameter opening to get past the inner sleeve of the eyelet and help push the rubber bushing in tight to the eyelet. Or I can just open up the inner diameter of the washer to allow it to pass the inner metal eyelet sleeve. As is sit now the rubber bushing is loose and will not stay flush in the eyelet of the shock.

My looks more like this, not my picture. I don't see any washer in between the coilover eyelet. You can also see the rubber bushing has dislodged and is loose on the inside and just up against the metal bracket.

Last edited:

dchew

Caught the Bug
Two things don't look right but they may have changed things in the 3+ years since I did mine. First, those blue rubber bushings should be flush against the shock. Notice how in their pic you cannot see the step to the smaller diameter, but in yours you still see 1/8" or so.

Second, I don't think you have the right sleeves in there. I'm pretty sure mine were flush with the blue bushing. They certainly are on the lever I now have in the rear. Are your sleeves the same length as the thickness of the blue bushings? If so then you just don't have them seated correctly in the bushing. If not then I think you have the wrong ones in place. But that is the part they may have changed.

Dave

Two things don't look right but they may have changed things in the 3+ years since I did mine. First, those blue rubber bushings should be flush against the shock. Notice how in their pic you cannot see the step to the smaller diameter, but in yours you still see 1/8" or so.

Second, I don't think you have the right sleeves in there. I'm pretty sure mine were flush with the blue bushing. They certainly are on the lever I now have in the rear. Are your sleeves the same length as the thickness of the blue bushings? If so then you just don't have them seated correctly in the bushing. If not then I think you have the wrong ones in place. But that is the part they may have changed.

Dave

Thanks for the response.

The sleeve is definitely not flush with the bushing. Which then in turn allows the bushing to be loose in the metal bracket and the eyelet. It also leaves no room in the bracket for any type of washer.

Second, the sleeve is part of the eyelet on one side now and the other half is just a half sleeve that slides in.

So it looks like I have two options at this point. Cut down the sleeve just a tad on each side to sit flush with the bushing. Next is to find a washer with a inside diameter larger than the sleeve to fit on each side.

Zadi

EVO Rear Bolt-On Coilovers

Hello All,
I have a quick question regarding the rear bolt on coilover kit. I've already installed my front bolt on coilovers, aside from having to cut away a significant amount of plastic on the passenger side, things went without a hitch. Now, I have moved on to the rear and have run into an issue. The top shock mount has the nuts welded on! and there is no way for me to get the EVO bracket on. Has anyone else run into this issue? What do I do now?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Zadi..

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Hello All,
I have a quick question regarding the rear bolt on coilover kit. I've already installed my front bolt on coilovers, aside from having to cut away a significant amount of plastic on the passenger side, things went without a hitch. Now, I have moved on to the rear and have run into an issue. The top shock mount has the nuts welded on! and there is no way for me to get the EVO bracket on. Has anyone else run into this issue? What do I do now?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Zadi..

The bolts are suppose to be welded on. The bracket will just sit on top of them then uses the provided nuts to hold it down.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1464532264.613542.jpg

Zadi

Cozdude,
Thanks for the reply! Do you think its going to be a problem if I hacked off those bolts with a sawsall?::doh:

Zadi

I assume it won't be a problem since they are going to be bolted on anyway. I have a 2012 JKU and there was not a body mount in the location where this bracket is placed. Are there screws and bolts for this area also?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Cozdude,
Thanks for the reply! Do you think its going to be a problem if I hacked off those bolts with a sawsall?::doh:

I assume it won't be a problem since they are going to be bolted on anyway. I have a 2012 JKU and there was not a body mount in the location where this bracket is placed. Are there screws and bolts for this area also?

Do not hack those off! The bracket is made to sit on them as my picture shows.

still in school

Alright,

I have moved onto the rear coilover install. I have question about the upper King mounts. The instructions says to put a 1/2" washer in between the coilover eyelet mount and metal bracket to keep the coilover from rotating. Then replace the bolt with the head cap screw.

My coilovers have a inner sleeve and then a rubber bushing and the metal mounts are pretty tight. I unable to place a washer in between the eyelet and metal mount as the picture shows. There is just not enough room between the two, I can't even get one washer in there at this point.

My coilovers and the bushing and inner sleeve. You can see it has metal lip past the rubber bushing, is this new to allow the use of no washer?

With metal mount, very tight fit.

Bracket and washer just to show, there is no way I can squeeze one on both sides of the eyelet as the instructions says... lol

I might can get a larger washer that has larger inner diameter opening to get past the inner sleeve of the eyelet and help push the rubber bushing in tight to the eyelet. Or I can just open up the inner diameter of the washer to allow it to pass the inner metal eyelet sleeve. As is sit now the rubber bushing is loose and will not stay flush in the eyelet of the shock.

My looks more like this, not my picture. I don't see any washer in between the coilover eyelet. You can also see the rubber bushing has dislodged and is loose on the inside and just up against the metal bracket.

Sorry for the thread bump but I'm in the same boat right now. What did you end up doing?

aTX427

I'm in the middle of installing the front and the instructions call for using the 1/2" spacers top and bottom. The coilovers came with 1/2" ID x 3/8" wide spacers with the blue rubber cushions zip tied to the top and an extra set of the same spacers attached to the label. Do I use the King spacers with the blue cushions up top and the the Evo supplied 1/2" ID x .540" spacers on the bottom? The instructions for the rear called for adding 1/2" washers between the blue rubber cushions and the upper mount, but the front instructions do not specify.

aTX427

The upper King mounts on the front are the exactly the same as the rear in pictures in post 333 above, except the spacers sit flush to the rubber cushions like the instructions show.

Last edited:

ssobel80

Just ordered my Evo Coilovers tonight, can't wait to get them here and start working. Also waiting on my complete set of Rokmen Control Arms. Once I get everything in I will get started. I am sure I will be referring back to this thread during the install!

JRW1223

So quick question. I skimmed over this thread but didn't see anything mentioned. Before I go ahead and modify this bracket. Has anyone heard of having to modify the lower shock bracket to work with a Dynatrac axle? Looks like I'll have to notch the bracket so that it will line up with the shock hole.

View attachment 119506

Can someone please post up a picture of how the lower axle bracket bolts up for the front lower coilover mounts? The picture in the instructions is too dark and I can’t see how it should bolt in. I have a Dana 30 so I will need the bracket. Thanks for the help!
IMG_5592.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Randy Tadevich

I have the jeep up on jacks, installing the coilovers currently and plan on doing the double d long arm bolt on myself. The whole exhaust flip has be mind flipped as to where to cut. Aside from that, i think i read in one of these threads that someone had done it themselves but whished they had just paid a shop to do it. Before i start cutting and hacking, which i have no problems doing myself, would it just be better to have a shop do it for the sake of time and how much would it approximately cost? If anyone has gone that route. Im located in the Phx area. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-J320V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom