Evo Draglink Flip Kit Question

Jeep_Dawg08

I am also concerned about this.. haven't been to get the alignment yet. Waiting til I get the new tires here soon.

I am quite new to rhe whole suspension talk. I read and try to follow yall, but its just not becoming a clear picture in my head. Whats what, what will a draglink flip do. Talk about feeling like a moron!
But wont know til I ask and get my "learn on".
Sry if I hijacked the thread.
But I'm always on for some education.

Bonehead

I could be wrong on this and if I am someone here will set me right ;) , but it is to correct the steering geometry after a lift of 3"+ as far as the drag link/track bar angle goes and with out need for stuff like drop pitman arm/ drop brackets and other half ass fixes.
It does nothing for caster (only adjustable control arms will fix that right) or camber.

If I am off track on any of this someone with more knowledge please correct me.......

zeddjb

I just purchased the flip kit from Off Road Evolution. Thank you all for the helpful posts and I'm sure I'll have more questions once it gets here and I begin to install it.

zeddjb

I started to install the bracket Monday, but Tuesday it rained all day and today doesn't look promising either. I'll work on it more probably this weekend. I didn't know that the bracket relocated my track bar too; that is actually really cool because I think that now it will be in a good spot and with that thick steel I won't have issues of it ovaling out. I really need to buy a greasable johny-joint trackbar though...anyone have any recommendations? The one I have has slight play in it heim-joint and that is only going to get worse.

As I was installing the bracket, I noticed that I had to use the spot where the sway bar link bolt goes and on the new bracket there is a hole for the sway bar link to go, but it is a lot higher that the driver side one now; is that going to cause an issue when I put it back on the ground?

My other question is, do I actually "Need" a front steering stabilizer? The reason I ask is I used a relocation bracket that mounted to the track bar bolt location, but I can't really use that anymore unless I buy longer bolts to fit through all that think steel which I could do if I needed to. I guess I can just put it back down below, but I have destroyed more steering stabilizers than I can use think about. If I don't even need to run one, then I'll just remove it permanently. How much does it actually do for the front end anyways.

Doesn't the trackbar relocation bracket have a spot for the steering stabilizer? I thought it did. And I also thought the kit came with a bracket to relocate the driver sway link up also.

jesse3638

Hooked
Yeah the new trackbar bracket should have a hole in it where you can relocate the steering stabilizer. The only other thing you'll have to so is rotate the tie rod mount so the stabilizer sits above the tie rod. Also yes the kit should have included a bracket which attaches to the drivers side coil perch to raise that side as well. This is where a right angle drill comes in handy as you have drill a hole here and is pretty much impossible with a regular drill unless you want to remove the brake assemble and dust shield.

zeddjb

All Done & Thanks

First off, thank you all for your feedback and help; You have no idea how much it really helped me. :thumb:

Second, I finally finished the install today; I actually had some time where it wasn't raining and I wasn't sick to get out and finish it. When I finished the install, I went for a test drive and my steering wheel was cocked about 90 degrees to the right; no biggy just had to adjust the coupler on the drag-link to get my steering wheel back to center. However, now that I'm all said and done with it, I noticed that I can't make the same right angle turns anymore...seems to be less than before...I wonder if I'm imagining things. :thinking: Is there an adjustment I could make to resolve this that doesn't involve me ripping the entire front end apart again? I really don't want to do that for a long time. :icon_crazy: Maybe I'll check and shorten the steering stops but I don't understand why it would have changed. :thinking:

Third, I did a short test drive over some of the roads in question that I spoke about earlier and the difference is night and day...for me at least...and I know that I need to do some more testing/driving to really notice it (tomorrow I'll be taking a 110 mile round trip), but it seems to have resolved the major bump steer issues I have been plagued with for so long. :thumb:

This winter when I have some time, probably over Christmas break, I'll be welding those brackets on. I know its early yet for me to say, but I'm going to say it anyways; I would highly recommend this kit to anyone who is experiencing major bump steer. It's really not that hard to put on if you have a little know how and this forum has amazing people that know what they are talking about. I also called Evo a few times to have them set me straight on a few things.

Overall, I know this is going to be a great upgrade to my Jeep and I'm looking forward to getting the real test when the winter storms hit and the ground is buried in snow. I'm happy to answer questions and share any feedback and my experiences I have for those people who plan on buying and installing one on their Jeep.

:standing wave:

zeddjb

Yeah the new trackbar bracket should have a hole in it where you can relocate the steering stabilizer. The only other thing you'll have to so is rotate the tie rod mount so the stabilizer sits above the tie rod. Also yes the kit should have included a bracket which attaches to the drivers side coil perch to raise that side as well. This is where a right angle drill comes in handy as you have drill a hole here and is pretty much impossible with a regular drill unless you want to remove the brake assemble and dust shield.

If you talking about that hole(the one without the bolt in it), I don't understand how that would work then. I'm not saying your wrong, I'm saying I don't understand and I need clarification. Do I just stick the bolt through the stabilizer and then through the front of the bracket and that will hold it there? :thinking:

2013-10-30 14.10.33.jpg

The old set up I had, was a Synergy bracket that bolted onto the spot where the trackbar went (stock) and it flipped the stabilizer up. It had two tabs that the stabilizer fit into; the stock location also had two tabs it went between thus my assumption was, that is how it was supposed to be.

2013-10-30 14.12.25.jpg 2013-10-30 14.12.33.jpg 2013-10-30 14.12.42.jpg

The bolts I had were not long enough to put that Synergy bracket on the new Evo bracket (why would it, I mean it makes sense that it wouldn't, I understand that)

My thought was in the winter over my break time, I was going to order some longer bolts to fit both brackets on, and then weld the Synergy bracket on the Evo bracket and then I could flip the stabilizer back upwards like I had it.

What are your thoughts? Do I need that Synergy steering stabilizer bracket or does the Evo drag-link flip kit bracket already come equipped with it and I'm just not understanding something? :thinking:

2013-10-30 14.10.40.jpg

Currently the steering stabilizer is in the stock location as you can see and I do not want to keep it there long. I have damaged too many of those things in that spot and want to get it out of there as soon as I can. Additionally, what are everyone's thoughts on a steering stabilizer anyways? For a vehicle such as mine with mild modifications and its still a daily driver, is a stabilizer worth having and investing in?

I think you do as you mentioned and put the bolt through thestabilizer and then the front of the bracket and out the nut on the backside. Tighten it and it holds.

Devallee

First off, thank you all for your feedback and help; You have no idea how much it really helped me. :thumb: Second, I finally finished the install today; I actually had some time where it wasn't raining and I wasn't sick to get out and finish it. When I finished the install, I went for a test drive and my steering wheel was cocked about 90 degrees to the right; no biggy just had to adjust the coupler on the drag-link to get my steering wheel back to center. However, now that I'm all said and done with it, I noticed that I can't make the same right angle turns anymore...seems to be less than before...I wonder if I'm imagining things. :thinking: Is there an adjustment I could make to resolve this that doesn't involve me ripping the entire front end apart again? I really don't want to do that for a long time. :icon_crazy: Maybe I'll check and shorten the steering stops but I don't understand
Did you possibly turn the wheel at all while installing the kit? I turned my wheel for some reason during the install process and when I finished putting it together I had the same issue. I had a sharper turning radius on one side but a wider turning radius on the other (about a half turn). I unbolted the knuckle end if the drag link and turned the wheel the opposite way and bolted the drag link back up and centered it with the coupler and it was turning perfect again. I'm not sure if this is your problem but I had a similar issue and this is what fixed it

zeddjb

Did you possibly turn the wheel at all while installing the kit? I turned my wheel for some reason during the install process and when I finished putting it together I had the same issue. I had a sharper turning radius on one side but a wider turning radius on the other (about a half turn). I unbolted the knuckle end if the drag link and turned the wheel the opposite way and bolted the drag link back up and centered it with the coupler and it was turning perfect again. I'm not sure if this is your problem but I had a similar issue and this is what fixed it

I did move the steering wheel a lot during the install yes. I don't fully understand though; isn't the coupler supposed to be what adjusts the drag-link if it is off? So what you are saying is that you unbolted the drag-link (on the passenger side knuckle), did you then screw in the drag-link further into that coupler (or out depending on your turning radius)? I thought just turning the coupler would make the necessary adjustment.

Could you explain in further detail what your steps were? It would really help me out.

The stabilizer might be limiting the turn radius. This happened to me when I put an aftermarket one on. Here is what I did. Alright make sure your wheels at straight and steering wheel straight and all. Undo the stabilizer from the tie rod decompress it all the way out. Measure from the tube end to the eye hole of the shaft (basically measuring the shaft to see how long it is). Cut that in half and compress the stabilizer to show half the shaft link and then adjust the bracket on the tie rod to realign with the stabilizer eye.

zeddjb

The stabilizer might be limiting the turn radius. This happened to me when I put an aftermarket one on. Here is what I did. Alright make sure your wheels at straight and steering wheel straight and all. Undo the stabilizer from the tie rod decompress it all the way out. Measure from the tube end to the eye hole of the shaft (basically measuring the shaft to see how long it is). Cut that in half and compress the stabilizer to show half the shaft link and then adjust the bracket on the tie rod to realign with the stabilizer eye.

Thanks Dunny; this was actually the first thing I checked and it was not the issue. I have a feeling that I will have to take the draglink out of the knuckle on the passenger side try and find a measurement somewhere on both sides and adjust the steering. Then at the end re-adjust the steering wheel with that coupler. A little more extra work that I would have wanted, but live and learn I suppose. :icon_crazy:

Thanks Dunny; this was actually the first thing I checked and it was not the issue. I have a feeling that I will have to take the draglink out of the knuckle on the passenger side try and find a measurement somewhere on both sides and adjust the steering. Then at the end re-adjust the steering wheel with that coupler. A little more extra work that I would have wanted, but live and learn I suppose. :icon_crazy:

You did have the vehicle started when you adjusted the draglink right? I'm not saying you don't know what your doing and I know it might sound like a dumb question. I'm just confused on how disconnecting from the knuckle will do anything. Adjusting the coupler should do everything. Can someone explain that a little more

Last edited:

zeddjb

You did have the vehicle started when you adjusted the draglink right? I'm not saying you don't know what your doing and I know it might sound like a dumb question.

I don't take offence to any questions; I am not a pro and I learn from doing and getting feedback from different people. Your question is not dumb, but my question probably will be. What is the significance of having the vehicle running when adjusting the draglink? It was turned off though.

When you say, "Adjust the draglink..." do you mean that coupler that I turned or do you mean when I threaded the draglink into the coupler the first time?

Sorry if these seem like dumb questions, but it helps me get clarification. I ask lots of questions when I'm doing something new.

I don't take offence to any questions; I am not a pro and I learn from doing and getting feedback from different people. Your question is not dumb, but my question probably will be. What is the significance of having the vehicle running when adjusting the draglink? It was turned off though.

When you say, "Adjust the draglink..." do you mean that coupler that I turned or do you mean when I threaded the draglink into the coupler the first time?

Sorry if these seem like dumb questions, but it helps me get clarification. I ask lots of questions when I'm doing something new.

Well you would want the vehicle running when adjusting the coupler on the draglink to center your steering wheel. That way the power steering is working making the steering wheel free to spin when adjusting the coupler. I believe if you have it in just the in position then the steering wheel will be unlocked but power steering won't be engaged making it still hard to turn the wheel. I'm trying to think if that would move the tire in any causing your issues but I guess the tie rid would keep that from happening.

Can someone with a little more knowledge chime in. I followed eddies writeup on project jk.

zeddjb

Well you would want the vehicle running when adjusting the coupler on the draglink to center your steering wheel. That way the power steering is working making the steering wheel free to spin when adjusting the coupler. I believe if you have it in just the in position then the steering wheel will be unlocked but power steering won't be engaged making it still hard to turn the wheel. I'm trying to think if that would move the tire in any causing your issues but I guess the tie rid would keep that from happening.

Can someone with a little more knowledge chime in. I followed eddies writeup on project jk.

Could you link to his writeup? I couldn't seem to find which one you are refering to.

Google jk DIY alignment. It should pop up under one of the first results to his project jk site. It's going to be part of his alignment writeup

Top Bottom