Evo sliders rust

GraniteCrystal

Just put these on. Here is what I see this morning.

IMG_20161220_085812.jpg

Do people just not worry about it? Assume it'll evaporate out?

I'm thinking of drilling a very small hole in the bottom to let water drain. Thoughts?

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=32769

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Don't have any problems with rust where I live but mud an gunk do get up in there. When I wash my Jeeps, I do spend some time hosing those areas out. Maybe when things thaw out a bit, you can spray some frame paint right into the holes - wipe any excess paint quickly with a rag and brake cleaner or acetone.

Mtb275

Don't have any problems with rust where I live but mud an gunk do get up in there. When I wash my Jeeps, I do spend some time hosing those areas out. Maybe when things thaw out a bit, you can spray some frame paint right into the holes - wipe any excess paint quickly with a rag and brake cleaner or acetone.

This is what I did. Before I mounted them I sprayed a bunch of paint in there and rotated the sliders around so it would spread around. Then wiped it off.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Lank

I have the same issue on my gen1 evos even though I tried to best my best to paint the inside. It's not enough to bother me too much but also curious to see if anyone has a good fix

Sent from my Nexus 5X using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteCrystal

This is what I did. Before I mounted them I sprayed a bunch of paint in there and rotated the sliders around so it would spread around. Then wiped it off.

Thanks guys. I'll give that a shot. Would prefer to not drill the drain hole unless necessary.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=32769

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Man, that sucks to see. When I was in SC I had a big problem with rust. I triple coated my EVO sliders with a self etching primer, then another 3 coats of Rustoleum satin black paint. I made sure to get the primer into the EVO cutouts and luckily never had that issue. I used a straw similar to what you get on WD40 to primer as much of the inside I could see as possible.
Hell, I got rust on the rear facia and D rings that were powder coated in about 4 weeks. Luckily never had an issue with the sliders though. When we had all the flooding in Columbia, my sliders were filled with water and gunk. I thought about drilling a hole in them for drainage too, but again, they never rusted. I would try to spray the inside with primer as evenly as possible and see if that works for you. Sucks you're going to have to sand that down now though.

dchew

I tape over the logo in the winter, otherwise salt gets inside and never gets out. I used to park on a hill, point the pressure washer straight at the logo for several minutes until it all rinsed out of the logo at the other end of the slider.

Dave

GraniteCrystal

scull20

{cough} I heard used motor oil works well for preventing rust, especially on frame parts {cough}

In all seriousness, I sprayed plenty of VHT roll bar paint in there, then hit it with fluid film every now and then. Beyond that, I don't pay much mind to it.

CarolinaJK

x2 on the fascia rusting in SC. I prepped everything pretty well and painted all the metal and still had very minor rust in just over a week. I would just let them dry out and try to get paint down in there and rotate them to spread it.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
I have the same problem, living in WV where they salt the hell out of the roads. In the spring I spray some paint up there and it seems to look good for awhile. The steel is so think, I don't see it being a issue except for looks. This is five winters on mine and still solid.

trailraider

rust guard(Mopar brand is good). clean it out good and spray it inside. starts out like a liquid and then forms into a rubber. will coat the inside nice.

Tanktitan

I would ask for my money back. It makes no sense to weaken that section and that is exactly what they have done. Any irregular perforation (other than a drilled hole- but why even do that) weakens this section. If you keep it I would recommend plating it, but make sure it is dry inside.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom