Evo sliders rust

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
I would ask for my money back. It makes no sense to weaken that section and that is exactly what they have done. Any irregular perforation (other than a drilled hole- but why even do that) weakens this section. If you keep it I would recommend plating it, but make sure it is dry inside.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Lol.. Yeah ask for your money back! and tell them their design is crap!:cheesy:

GraniteCrystal

I would ask for my money back. It makes no sense to weaken that section and that is exactly what they have done. Any irregular perforation (other than a drilled hole- but why even do that) weakens this section. If you keep it I would recommend plating it, but make sure it is dry inside.

I have no intention of doing so. I knew their design going into it and the sliders are very well regarded. Would they be better if they weren't cut all the way through? Yes. Still like them and keeping them though. Just looking for ways to make sure they last.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=32769

WJCO

Meme King

Yes, every set of Evo sliders I've ever seen is crumpled up in that area after a hit on a rock. :crazyeyes: They really need to get their shit together :crazyeyes:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I wouldn't worry about it to much. 3 years with my gen1 sliders like that and still going strong. Just wash them out every so often. If your really worried about it than do what Wayalife said and spray some foam in there to fill it in

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

Yeah, their sliders are shit. No serious wheeler would run them.

IMG_7614.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

metalic

Lol
I've slammed my jeep down on EVO sliders multiple times , winches my jeep off its side from them. I don't think it's structural weakness

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

JAGS

Hooked
Maybe you need to move. Or, stop wheeling in deer shit and piss. Your choice. I see no proof that is rust.

WJCO

Meme King
Maybe you need to move. Or, stop wheeling in deer shit and piss. Your choice. I see no proof that is rust.

I think it's rust, but I don't think it hurts anything. It would take a lot of time for rust to compromise thick steel like that. I showed a picture of mine that are about 2 years old and rusted shortly after I got them. Rust isn't hurting anything. And I guarantee the EVO cutout won't compromise the structure for a use such as a rock slider.

mo0s3

That plate has nothing to do with the structural integrity. If if was that much of a concern just sink it in some plasty dip then re prep the outside for paint ?
Edit: before welding on of course.

Last edited:

NBarton

Half assed thought: There are probably other corrosion preventive compounds that would work but your local bicycle shop should have a product called frame saver. It should work it's way through the interior a bit better than paint before setting up. By reputation it works very well on the interior of bike frames which are admittedly easier to flip around to work the product through than your welded on sliders.

JAGS

Hooked
I think it's rust, but I don't think it hurts anything. It would take a lot of time for rust to compromise thick steel like that. I showed a picture of mine that are about 2 years old and rusted shortly after I got them. Rust isn't hurting anything. And I guarantee the EVO cutout won't compromise the structure for a use such as a rock slider.

It was sarcasm. Just padding post count. Lol.

This question seems to always come up. It's steel and snow, rust will happen. To your point, not gonna hurt anything. As for the OP, Before next season, clean it out, stick an air hose in there to dry it off, then coat inside as best as possible. Repeat annually or as needed.

mo0s3

Half assed thought: There are probably other corrosion preventive compounds that would work but your local bicycle shop should have a product called frame saver. It should work it's way through the interior a bit better than paint before setting up. By reputation it works very well on the interior of bike frames which are admittedly easier to flip around to work the product through than your welded on sliders.

Agreed, if I was in a high salt area I would have dumped a ton of paint in there. Before I welded them on of course ;)

mo0s3

Just put these on. Here is what I see this morning.

View attachment 235254

Do people just not worry about it? Assume it'll evaporate out?

I'm thinking of drilling a very small hole in the bottom to let water drain. Thoughts?

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=32769

I'd be more concerned with the welds that connects your sliders to your frame.

Top Bottom