FIRST TIME : Lifted Jeep Renegade Trailhawk & Stock JK Rubicon on the Rocks

segt99

Surprised

I am surprised what that little Renegade with hardly any suspension travel can accomplish. :clap2: However you are going to need some armor if you keep hitting those rocks.

Spazbyt

Hooked
When rock slides for Rennys start hitting the market I think you will see more and more of these 7 slot toasters roaming the rocks.

ob_tj

I was really impressed with how renney did! Watched that video with my dad and for a guy who has always been big into his JKs he said he wants one! :what:

johnstanford819

first time for everything

Great video as always. Rene looked good and I'm sure got the best fuel economy. I am very impressed that it made it over the obstacles and up the hill climb. I sold my 2010 unlimited Rubicon so now I need advice. If you could buy something under $30,000 would you opt for the Renegade, Cherokee, or the Wrangler, what options would you suggest. I spend the majority on the road and am a volunteer fireman that deals with snow, ice and mud. Thanks and again I love the videos.

MNAJeep

I wasn't sure I liked the Renegade at first, but Reny and other's are changing my mind for the better! The more accessories that come out, the more I want one!

rflowers65

Renny's First Time!

In one word ... impressive. There are obvious limitations to the Renegade, but the ability to move through some of those obstacles with the aid of that traction control surprised me bigtime!

There’s a first time for everything and when it came time for us to test out our newly lifted Jeep Renegade Trailhawk out on the rocks ...

ljvsnyder

It is like the little engine that could. Not the biggest and baddest rig in the world but amazing job by jeep to build a capable vehicle. Some small simple mods and you have a decent trail rig that rides comfortably and handles moderate backwoods trails. Great video as always eddie. Would love to see how the little renegade handles trails like Black Bear pass and trails in Moab.

Steve's Rubi

Just watched the video and was wondering why even bother. I personally would never own one of those things. I agree with everyone else that Eddie could drive a Prius up there and make it look easy.:thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nice driving, Eddie. That little thing just kept going! Your friends driving were very endearing. Great video, and thank you for sharing that.

Thanks! Me having a little experience certainly helped but none of it would have mattered if the Renegade weren't up to the task. Glad you liked the video :yup:

it is interesting to see the little guy go and go. the driver makes it look easy, spotter assist helps. the electronics are changing the world. now imagine the driverless.....:eek:

Pretty amazing isn't it! After seeing some of the other videos out there and magazine editors having so much trouble with the Renegades they were given to wheel for a day, I wasn't sure how much we could do. After this trip, I now see these guys didn't really give the Renegade a fair shake or they just suck as drivers. The electronic traction control on the Renegade is amazing.

Not that I'd buy one but still quite impressed with its capabilities. I have a friend that let his wife buy a Renegade, trying to convince her to let us have our way with the car... keep posting sweet videos so I can use them in this uphill battle.

When I was at EJS 2 years ago they said stock the Renegade could do a 5 rated trail, I'm not seeing that capability, but... a solid 2, and maybe some 3's

What's a "5 rated trail"? :idontknow:

The pics of your Renegade does not do it any justice after seeing it in person. And after watching this video I'm shocked to see what it's capable of doing.

As I've said, we were pretty shocked as to what it could do too. :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Loved the video! Really enjoyed watching Renny climb the rocks! Also really enjoyed watching Susan as first time driver! Way to go girl!

Pretty incredible what the renegade can do!

Thanks Rachel! Glad you enjoyed it and it was fun seeing Susan out there behind the wheel :yup:

Enjoyed the video.
When these first came out I wasn't real keen on them however they are definitely growing on me...especially with the modified stance of Rene with the little lift and out spaced wheels/ tires. Well done.

Without question, the Renegades look 100 times better with a slightly taller and wider stance. For us, it completely changed the look of it. :cool:

Another great video guys! It's certainly no JK and was never intended to be but it's always great to see an unassuming vehicle impress the doubters - Good driving! It's definitely time for some rock sliders though..

Exactly!! It's no Wrangler but it was never intended to be. :thumb:

Great video as always guys! Looked like a lot of fun.

Still haven't driven a renegade yet but really want to. They look pretty cool especially the tail lights

Thank you, we always have a great time when we're out with our friends. If you get around to driving a Renegade, I think you'll find that you like it :yup:

Will be interesting to see the toasters as they gain popularity and the builds get bigger and badder. Nice Video!!

Well, Jeep is gonna need to get a lot more Renegades out there first but if they can, I think they will be come more popular and with any luck, more parts will be made for it.

Excellent video, nice to see the Renny out there on the trail, and very surprising to see it was able to conquer some of those obstacles. I also always love seeing first time drivers wheel, and thanks for sharing.

Makes me wish I lived closer to be able to have access to trails like that.

Thank you. Being around first time drivers is always fun as you get to relive what it was like through their excitement. It's awesome!

lekmedm

I continue to be impressed for what the Renegade is. I guess it could use some sliders and some bumpers or other protection from body damage.

Nice job, Cindy and Eddie! Thanks for demonstrating.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have been eye balling the Renegade and after watching your video..
knowing it doesn't have the same clearance as a wrangler I was very impressed...
Thanks for sharing..

As I've said before, the Renegade is no Wrangler nor should it be thought as one. Still, it is impressive what it can do.

great video. i have liked the Renegade since i first saw it. really impressed by what it can do in the hands of a skilled driver.

Nicely done, Renny! Most impressive what the Renegade was able to accomplish with Eddie behind the wheel. :rock:

You guys are too kind, thanks!

WOW that Renny is impressive. Good job to Susan also on her first time wheelin.

Indeed, good job to Susan! :thumb:

The best part of the video is hearing you say that's the most fun I've had in awhile. My best time's wheeling over the years is that first run with a stock rig. It's full of anxiety knowing that you going to damage it in some way, and then when you don't what a rush. After we get home we build up our rig to handle the trail better, but is does so well that it wasn't as much fun as that first time:clap2: Keep up the great work guys.

It really is ironic isn't it. :crazyeyes:

8POUND

That was an awesome video. Very impressed with the capabilities of the Renegade. Definitely a good setup for daily driver and light trail use.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Another entertaining and well made video! I really enjoyed the video and am surprised like many others on how well the Renegade performs. Its somewhat comforting to know that stamping a Jeep badge on vehicle still means something!

It really is nice to know that a Jeep badge still means something :yup:

I am amazed what that little Renegade can do. I never thought I would see one doing this kind of wheeling when I first saw them. Great job showing everyone what they really can do. Looks like a little rocker protection wouldn't be bad haha.

Tell me about it. Mechanically speaking, the Renegade is way more capable than I am willing to damage it - okay, so I went ahead and damaged it anyway but I would have preferred not to. Rocker guards would help out a lot! :crazyeyes:

I am surprised what that little Renegade with hardly any suspension travel can accomplish. :clap2: However you are going to need some armor if you keep hitting those rocks.

Fortunately, the Renegade is small enough that you can wiggle around the harder stuff and so long as you're picking good lines, you can do a lot with one of these. While it is armored up underneath, it definitely needs some rocker protection and a smaller front bumper.

When rock slides for Rennys start hitting the market I think you will see more and more of these 7 slot toasters roaming the rocks.

I think you could be right :yup:

I was really impressed with how renney did! Watched that video with my dad and for a guy who has always been big into his JKs he said he wants one! :what:

:cheesy: That's awesome!

JK_MARINE_93

To be honest I think the Renegade is an awesome little outdoors vehicle. Especially once you put some upgrades on it. Been thinking about leasing/buying one.

Hbomb

Great video

That looked like a ton of fun. I was impressed with the Renegade. It held its own pretty well!
My 20 year old daughter bought a solar yellow one, albeit two wheel drive only and she loves it.
That shot at the end of the video of the sunset was stunning....nice work.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great video as always. Rene looked good and I'm sure got the best fuel economy. I am very impressed that it made it over the obstacles and up the hill climb. I sold my 2010 unlimited Rubicon so now I need advice. If you could buy something under $30,000 would you opt for the Renegade, Cherokee, or the Wrangler, what options would you suggest. I spend the majority on the road and am a volunteer fireman that deals with snow, ice and mud. Thanks and again I love the videos.

That's hard to say. Based on where you live and what you have stated, you can get a stock Wrangler Sport in the price range that you're shooting for and while it does have cool factor, it won't come with the same great ride and creature comforts that a Renegade or Cherokee will have for the same price. If you think you'll be wanting to wheel your Jeep hard and on a regular basis, a Wrangler is still what I would recommend. Being that driving in snow, ice and mud (I assume not deep mud trenches but muddy roads), I can tell you that the traction control on the Renegade and Cherokee is much better than what the Wranglers have. For me, I knew I wanted to modify and do some wheeling in whatever I got and there are a lot more options available for a Renegade. It is why I got what I did. If you were to get a Sport, Latitude or Limited, you would even have better MPG than a Trailhawk.

I wasn't sure I liked the Renegade at first, but Reny and other's are changing my mind for the better! The more accessories that come out, the more I want one!

LOL!! More accessories even make a JK look better.

In one word ... impressive. There are obvious limitations to the Renegade, but the ability to move through some of those obstacles with the aid of that traction control surprised me bigtime!

No joke, it really surprised me as well. On the harder rocks, we had Steph go ahead of us thinking that I'd most likely need a strap but then, the little Renegade just kept on making it all on its own :crazyeyes:

It is like the little engine that could. Not the biggest and baddest rig in the world but amazing job by jeep to build a capable vehicle. Some small simple mods and you have a decent trail rig that rides comfortably and handles moderate backwoods trails. Great video as always eddie. Would love to see how the little renegade handles trails like Black Bear pass and trails in Moab.

There's a video out there of a Renegade doing Black Bear Pass and it was kind of disappointing. There's a scene where the driver couldn't crawl up a ledge and asked for a push from one of the camera guys. Sure, he was in a stock Trailhawk but if it really just took a push to get him up, he clearly wasn't interested in showing the Renegade in the best light or he just wasn't a good of a driver. As far as Moab goes, there are a few clips out there of the Renegade out on Fins-n-Things and a few other trails.

Just watched the video and was wondering why even bother. I personally would never own one of those things. I agree with everyone else that Eddie could drive a Prius up there and make it look easy.:thumb:

LOL!! Sign me up!! :thumb:
The nice thing about variety and options is that none of us have to buy something we don't like. Clearly, the Renegade isn't for everyone but then, I don't think Jeep ever intended it to be :cool:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I continue to be impressed for what the Renegade is. I guess it could use some sliders and some bumpers or other protection from body damage.

Nice job, Cindy and Eddie! Thanks for demonstrating.

Glad you liked it and yes, I can't wait to get my hands on some rocker guards :crazyeyes:

That was an awesome video. Very impressed with the capabilities of the Renegade. Definitely a good setup for daily driver and light trail use.

Thank you. For a daily driver and light trail use, I think the Renegade is a great option for anyone to consider.

...I am always a fan of the underdog!

:cheesy: Us too :D

To be honest I think the Renegade is an awesome little outdoors vehicle. Especially once you put some upgrades on it. Been thinking about leasing/buying one.

With a few upgrades, it really does change the way it looks and really, it is a fun little Jeep :yup:

That looked like a ton of fun. I was impressed with the Renegade. It held its own pretty well!
My 20 year old daughter bought a solar yellow one, albeit two wheel drive only and she loves it.
That shot at the end of the video of the sunset was stunning....nice work.

Thank you and that's great that your daughter loves her Renegade. As much as the Wrangler is the mainstay of Jeep, they still need to reach a broader market if they hope to remain a viable part of FCA. At least, that's how I see it.

Have to admit the little guy, with very few mods, is surprisingly good on the trail.:thumb::thumb:

Definitely surprising even to us. :D

Top Bottom