GHOST PEPPER - The next step build for Adrock's 2012 JKU Sport

AdrockTT

Nice! Tel me more about the sway lock if you have time, I really need to find a solution for my build and can't find a rubi sway bar anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Did you do the air actuated swayloc system?

I really should post a video (and I can show you in person Mike). It's super simple to go between street and off-road. Huge diff in flex, but you're still connected too so things remain stable w the advantages of the sway in place.

I skipped the air actuated system. When it's wheel'in time, you have to air down, engage from 4WD locking hubs, and prep stuff anyway. It is beyond simple to flip the switch/bar over to the off-road setting. There's no resistance and it will flip even if you're not on level ground. I didn't see the cost to benefit ratio for being able to do it "on the fly" from inside the cabin personally. (Plus - one more air line to leak, one more layer of complexity to fail...) To reconnect, you just flip switch back - when the two arms of the system line back up as you drive, it'll click back in.

Once your flip the switch, the sway stays generally connected (and stable). When you articulate past the "connected" range, it allows the two arms of the sway to separate from one another to stretch out articulation and you'll be connected only on the lighter off-road torsion bar rate.

Here's a random video of someone demo'ing the system (best I could find, I should make a better one).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHF5dzcoF08

AdrockTT

Full float axles and 5x5.5 bolt pattern? How come you didn't do 6 or even 8 lug?

Long story short, but I originally was going to do a Semi-float rear so I already had 5on5.5 for a pattern when I swapped up the plans at Dyna. Plus - greater wheel selection/backspacing options too. Steve Marrone from Dyna, my experienced mechanic, and general consensus is the 5x5.5 will be just fine for strength (esp how Dyna does their hubs/studs/axles). I am sure I'd strongly consider 8 lug if I did it over again (why not), but I don't know of any issues at 5x5.5 either. Rubicat runs 5x5.5 too btw.

tgoss

Rubicat runs 5x5.5 too btw.

Used too.... but not any longer.

That swayloc looks sick. I'm really curious to hear your impressions of it and honestly would love a vid to see how it works in your application seeing how we will have very similar set ups axle/tire wise.

AdrockTT

Used too.... but not any longer.

That swayloc looks sick. I'm really curious to hear your impressions of it and honestly would love a vid to see how it works in your application seeing how we will have very similar set ups axle/tire wise.

You're right - forgot about the new ultra-wide setup for that rig (looks badass).

I'll try to get motivated to do a video on how it works. I should've done it when we were flexing and testing clearances, but I will at the next off-road adventure point. More impressions to come as I go test it all out, but even my (very skeptical) mechanic - who initially made fun of the concept - has been impressed so far.

tgoss

You're right - forgot about the new ultra-wide setup for that rig (looks badass).

I'll try to get motivated to do a video on how it works. I should've done it when we were flexing and testing clearances, but I will at the next off-road adventure point. More impressions to come as I go test it all out, but even my (very skeptical) mechanic - who initially made fun of the concept - has been impressed so far.

Awesome, looking forward to seeing this thing in action! Looks great so far man!

AdrockTT

Ghost Pepper phase 1 is finally done. I have been late to post as I have honestly been too busy working and enjoying having her back to sit down to make a post.

I couldn't be happier with how it all turned out. I will try to expand on individual items and review certain components as I have time and put them to the test.

Last weekend I drove the Jeep ~350-400 miles and went to the Go Topless event on the beach. It rides like a Cadillac on pavement (better than my DD SUV and better than it did on a 2.5" coil lift with 35's as my wife's DD). Between the careful dialing in and adjustment + suspension components, it is the perfect mix for on-road manners and major off-road flex, articulation, and performance. The Evo coilovers and LCAs just ride stellar. The Toyos are quiet and smooth (though we'll see how they wear of course). There's no squeaks, noises, annoyances, or compromises (again - so far :) ).

I got 14 MPG cruising 75 MPH on the highway en route to the event. Was able to stay in overdrive on all but the tallest of highway overpasses along the way (which will be remedied by the supercharger shortly I would think). 5.13 gears and 40"s, excellent pickup + cruising speeds. 70 is at 2550-2600 range, 75 bring it closer to 2800-2900 by rough estimate on the tach. I'll check on my tuner next drive for more accurate numbers.

Drove it home in the rain passing by most other rigs from the event with confidence and ease. Hydroassist is absolutely invaluable and I'm glad I did it full out so I don't have to mess with it in the future (PSC, proper ram/mounting, upgraded lines and fittings, bigger pump, larger reservoir, and cooler). The stability and steering input is so dramatic and accurate. Prob one of my fav parts.

Clearance is incredible with the high clearance LCA brackets, exhaust mods, and full RH4x4 Skids. Swapping the sway bar into off-road settings is easy, quick, and leaves you connected/stable. Can't wait to try this out more off-road (Sat am!).

Enough chatter and gushing - here's a few pics from GTW on the beach w my fellow 5k+ Jeepers!

20170520_172140 (Small).jpg

Stack'in 'em Deep!
20170520_173942 (Small).jpg
20170520_174020 (Small).jpg
20170520_174712 (Small).jpg
20170520_172204 (Small).jpg
20170520_172122 (Small).jpg
20170520_172053 (Small).jpg
20170520_172032 (Small).jpg
20170520_171944 (Small).jpg

Night shot of my lighting setup
20170519_234317 (Small).jpg

AdrockTT

Looks great[emoji106]

Jeep looks great.

Looks like it was worth the wait! Very nice. :)

Thanks gents!

Really can't get over how well this thing drives, rides, steers, and performs. Creature comforts + off-road dominance. Can't wait to push it rock climbing Sat...

Evo coilovers, long arms, dyna axles/brakes, PSC steering, ORO swayloc, ARBs, and dynomax are worth the hype (thank god after the coin that was dropped here lol).

Action pics soon :rock::yup:

Top Bottom