GraniteCrystal build thread

dchotrod

I have a hitch rack we used before getting the Gobi. It was a pain. As already stated, if you need to get in the tailgate for something you have to get all of that out of the way first. Really noisy and mine moves side to side a good bit. Definitely like my Gobi a lot better. It's not perfect but it's better for us.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Mine is heavy, but it is awesome. I think I got mine at Lowe's. When we meet up I could bring mine and you could check it out if you have not bought one yet or even borrow.

GraniteCrystal

I have a hitch rack we used before getting the Gobi. It was a pain. As already stated, if you need to get in the tailgate for something you have to get all of that out of the way first. Really noisy and mine moves side to side a good bit. Definitely like my Gobi a lot better. It's not perfect but it's better for us.

Can you elaborate? How do you typically use it? Anything at all helps as this is a big decision if we sell the Gobi.
Mine is heavy, but it is awesome. I think I got mine at Lowe's. When we meet up I could bring mine and you could check it out if you have not bought one yet or even borrow.
If it's not a pain, I'd love to see one in person. No worries if you can't bring it though.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=32769

Kaylinator

Can you elaborate? How do you typically use it? Anything at all helps as this is a big decision if we sell the Gobi.

If it's not a pain, I'd love to see one in person. No worries if you can't bring it though.

FB_IMG_1482295004440.jpg
This is a bike rack I modified, but you could probably do something similar with a cargo rack.

Mtb275

Check out this roof rack. I'm going with something like this. You can run with or without hard top. When you are not using the rack you can remove it and you only have a few bolts sticking through hard top. Worst thing, you need to drill holes in hard top, because it mounts to roll cage. But you can get it into the garage with rack off.

IMG_0084.JPG

GraniteCrystal

Check out this roof rack. I'm going with something like this. You can run with or without hard top. When you are not using the rack you can remove it and you only have a few bolts sticking through hard top. Worst thing, you need to drill holes in hard top, because it mounts to roll cage. But you can get it into the garage with rack off.

View attachment 235346

Is Maximus 3 the same as Rhino Rack? If so, yeah, that's what I'm looking at. It's so much more low profile than the Gobi I don't think I'd ever have to remove it.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Forgive this Florida native but is there anything other than the cold that has you needing to store your Jeep in the garage? Seems to me that the best option is to keep your Gobi and just keep the Jeep in the driveway.

GraniteCrystal

Forgive this Florida native but is there anything other than the cold that has you needing to store your Jeep in the garage? Seems to me that the best option is to keep your Gobi and just keep the Jeep in the driveway.
Mostly a weather thing. It's really nice to not have to get up 20 minutes early to scrape a windshield, brush snow off, get the car warmed up. Especially when my wife works at the hospital and already leaves for work at 6am.

Additionally, if no garage, then I have to have a flat driveway to work on the Jeep and those are more difficult to come by.

Lastly, even besides the garage, I'd love to not have to worry so much about drive thrus, parking garages, etc.

Mtb275

Is Maximus 3 the same as Rhino Rack? If so, yeah, that's what I'm looking at. It's so much more low profile than the Gobi I don't think I'd ever have to remove it.

It is my understanding the Maximus 3 is the mounting solution and it utilizes the Rhino Rack.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

catahoula

Caught the Bug

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Mostly a weather thing. It's really nice to not have to get up 20 minutes early to scrape a windshield, brush snow off, get the car warmed up. Especially when my wife works at the hospital and already leaves for work at 6am.

Additionally, if no garage, then I have to have a flat driveway to work on the Jeep and those are more difficult to come by.

Lastly, even besides the garage, I'd love to not have to worry so much about drive thrus, parking garages, etc.

That's understandable. Best of luck to you in your search. [emoji1303]

WJCO

Meme King

That's understandable. Best of luck to you in your search. [emoji1303]

That is the thing I like least about snow. Scraping it off the car. It sucks and takes more time.

dchotrod

We use the hitch rack for firewood, coolers, bulky stuff, & the such. I have 2 girls so the back always has their stuff & their stuff that they "need" is inevitably in the cargo space. I don't have a fancy swing away for my cargo rack, but we do have a Yakima Swing Daddy for our bikes & that is a great help!
I understand where you're coming from on all points. I don't have to deal with snow or clearance issues (I don't have a garage either) as much as you, so it doesn't bug me that much.
I too am constantly looking to maximize storage, so I'm going to sell my tuffy deluxe security enclosure to make room for our new ARB 50. In its place I installed a rack that bolts to the roll bars and is height adjustable. The taffy, just doesn't work space wise. Also looking at changing soft tops to keep the cargo area whole & not loose half of it like I do with the trek top.
Always trying to maximize the space aren't we!?

Hey granite, took a note out of your build thread with your bungee cord rear cargo set up. I'll likely mess with it to clean it up, but I like getting things up and out of the way. Sleeping bag, first aid kit, quick fire starter, hand sanitizer, GoPro, and bug repellant strung up and room for more!

IMG_1749.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom