GraniteCrystal build thread

WJCO

Meme King
Well nothing is ordered yet. No snow issues with the Coopers this year? Sliding?

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=32769

Sadly, with working on the jeep lately, I haven't had a chance to really get out and test them. As far as stopping in town though, I was very surprised how well they stopped. I purposely was braking harder on packed snow than I normally would with no sliding at all. I really want to scream up some hills off-road though to see how they do but haven't had the time.

GraniteCrystal

Sadly, with working on the jeep lately, I haven't had a chance to really get out and test them. As far as stopping in town though, I was very surprised how well they stopped. I purposely was braking harder on packed snow than I normally would with no sliding at all. I really want to scream up some hills off-road though to see how they do but haven't had the time.
Let me know if/when you do. Still trying to decide on tires.

GAdawg88

Wife and I finally found a name we both like: Scout. Glad it's finally got some personality.

Also, I started a thread to get some info on the next phase for Scout:
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?33548-Phase-II-recommendations-BB-gears-tires/page6

Would love some more thoughts/recommendations on latest questions there.
Where did you run your ground wire to? Did you use 10 guage AWG or a braided strap? I just installed a midland CB with a first icky antenna mounted between the tailgate and spare, having a he'll of a time tuning the firestick and think my ground isn't right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteCrystal

Where did you run your ground wire to? Did you use 10 guage AWG or a braided strap? I just installed a midland CB with a first icky antenna mounted between the tailgate and spare, having a he'll of a time tuning the firestick and think my ground isn't right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app
Just heavy wire, not braided.

If you run wire from your ground point to the negative terminal on the battery, you should have zero (or near zero resistance). That's a way you can tell if it's a good ground or not. And yes, a lot of issues on CBs come from a poor ground.

Pursesnatcher

Plans for the next two phases of Scout are coming together. May pull the trigger on Phase III this week (I think I'm on the 3rd phase at this point?)

Phase III (now):
ATX 194 Ravine wheels
37x12.5r17 tires (Cooper SST Pros, Ridge Grapplers, or KO2s...thoughts?)
Programmer (suggestions?)
C Gussets
Gears (5.13s)
Front driveshaft

Phase IV (May):
Evo Fascia
AEV tire carrier (I'll run without a spare for the next 5 months or so. It can sit in my garage until I get the carrier)
ProGrips

Thoughts? Anything I'm missing?

Looks good, Granite.

I took some time to skim through your build thread and I do like the progression you went with on this build. I see how it relates to the suggestions you gave me as well! So, in turn I'm thinking a little differently with mine. Thanks for that!

I'm excited to see your JKS setup on 37's!

GraniteCrystal

Looks good, Granite.

I took some time to skim through your build thread and I do like the progression you went with on this build. I see how it relates to the suggestions you gave me as well! So, in turn I'm thinking a little differently with mine. Thanks for that!

I'm excited to see your JKS setup on 37's!
Thanks! Yeah, I read a lot beforehand and too many guys singing the "I went to 35s and should've gone straight to 37s" tune. No recipe for these things though; got to do what's right for you.

Pursesnatcher

Thanks! Yeah, I read a lot beforehand and too many guys singing the "I went to 35s and should've gone straight to 37s" tune. No recipe for these things though; got to do what's right for you.

Right, right. I've seen that frequently as well. My only regret with my JK is that I didn't get a Rubicon, just for the sheer fact that it's a whole lot less expensive to get started with a 37in setup. You can pretty much skip any axel upgrades, minus a re-gear, if you're not doing anything too hardcore. I would have even settled for an older model with a few more miles, but I still love my Sport!

GraniteCrystal

Did some playing around with PowerPoint to do a mockup of what it looks like now and what it will look like if I pull the trigger on all this. Yes, those are the exact wheels and tires I'm planning on doing (tried to approximate how much larger a 37" tire will be than my current 265/70r17)

Current:
IMG_20161216_161408.jpg

Possible new look:
Jeep_mockup - Copy.jpg

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
If you're doing 37's next, you'll definitely want to upgrade your front and rear axle shafts at the same time as your C gussets. 35-spline those bad boys!

Because it seems like you definitely wheel often, and 37's are in your next phase, I would be real careful wheeling on stock axle shafts. Mall crawling you're fine, but easy to bend a flange on stock shafts and 37's offroad. If new bolt-in axles are multiple years out, I would seriously contemplate getting the chromoly shafts front and rear in the meantime just to hold you over.

Hmm, not sure it's quite that dangerous. I'm pretty sure you can bend a rear flange on an aftermarket chromoly shaft just as easy as a stock shaft. Double check, but Eddie only replaced one of the rear shafts on Rubicat when it bent and kept running the other side stock. It's just the name of the game unless you go full-float. As far as front shafts go, that's an easier argument, but more for the full circle clips rather than the shaft strength. With the Rubicon axles, he's already got 1350 u-joints so they're not too weak.

Making a jump up to 35 splines requires a new locker, which puts that in a whole new ballpark. I think he should run what he's got or upgrade the front shafts for extra insurance, but keep the rears. :twocents:

Hmm, not sure it's quite that dangerous. I'm pretty sure you can bend a rear flange on an aftermarket chromoly shaft just as easy as a stock shaft. Double check, but Eddie only replaced one of the rear shafts on Rubicat when it bent and kept running the other side stock. It's just the name of the game unless you go full-float. As far as front shafts go, that's an easier argument, but more for the full circle clips rather than the shaft strength. With the Rubicon axles, he's already got 1350 u-joints so they're not too weak.

Making a jump up to 35 splines requires a new locker, which puts that in a whole new ballpark. I think he should run what he's got or upgrade the front shafts for extra insurance, but keep the rears. :twocents:

You're right on the 35 spline. That opens up another can or worms. Maybe the rears are not needed, but I just wouldnt trust stock axle shafts with 37s if you plan on wheeling it hard. You're right though, fronts are more of an issue than the rears.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteCrystal

You're right on the 35 spline. That opens up another can or worms. Maybe the rears are not needed, but I just wouldnt trust stock axle shafts with 37s if you plan on wheeling it hard. You're right though, fronts are more of an issue than the rears.

Thanks for the input guys! Gonna have to think this over. If I do break a shaft, I can always remove it on the trail and drive with 3 wheels powered right? In that case, I'm more of the mind to replace it when it breaks and keep saving for Dynatracs. Thoughts?

Thanks for the input guys! Gonna have to think this over. If I do break a shaft, I can always remove it on the trail and drive with 3 wheels powered right? In that case, I'm more of the mind to replace it when it breaks and keep saving for Dynatracs. Thoughts?

Yep! And you can probably find a cheap replacement stock shaft if you want to carry one on trips. Im so damn preventative, I can't help it sorry [emoji23]

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug

You can definitely drive without one of the front shafts. Just need to pull it out, replace everything else (the unit bearing attaches to the knuckle) and plug the axle tube up. For the rear, you can't drive without the axle shaft because the wheel studs are attached to it. But depending on how bad it's bent, you could probably limp home with it.

I've been running 37's for a couple of years and haven't replaced any of my shafts, but you could describe my recent wheeling as light to none. ;)

If you have no plans to replace the rear axle anyway, you could at least find some spare shafts to keep as a back-up. The front shafts would probably be okay, but you'll need to remember to visually inspect the retaining clips before heading out.

GraniteCrystal

You can definitely drive without one of the front shafts. Just need to pull it out, replace everything else (the unit bearing attaches to the knuckle) and plug the axle tube up. For the rear, you can't drive without the axle shaft because the wheel studs are attached to it. But depending on how bad it's bent, you could probably limp home with it.

I've been running 37's for a couple of years and haven't replaced any of my shafts, but you could describe my recent wheeling as light to none. ;)

If you have no plans to replace the rear axle anyway, you could at least find some spare shafts to keep as a back-up. The front shafts would probably be okay, but you'll need to remember to visually inspect the retaining clips before heading out.

Yep! And you can probably find a cheap replacement stock shaft if you want to carry one on trips. Im so damn preventative, I can't help it sorry [emoji23]

Thanks guys! Sounds like I need to be on the prowl for some stock shafts for cheap as trail spares. 👍

Top Bottom