GraniteCrystal build thread

ROBnTANK

Your build is looking great. It's nice to see people that take their time and just not buying what everyone else is running. I still wish I would have picked up your roof rack when I was in Colorado a few weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteCrystal

Pulled the trigger on wheels today. I really wrestled with which wheel to get, how much backspacing, beadlock vs non-beadlock, etc. In the end, I bought 5 new ATX Ravine wheels from Discount Tire Direct (shoutout!), as pictured here:

ravine.JPG

Here is my thought process in hopes it helps others.

1) Beadlocks are awesome but I have yet to be in a situation where I needed them. On a budget, I prefer to wheel till I find the limits of something and then upgrade (as long as it's safe/prudent to do so). I hope I do find those limits, but I'm not there yet.
2) Beadlocks are more work. I have to mount them myself. I have to take them to shop and pay them good money to balance them. I need to check the torque on all those tiny little bolts. With these wheels, I can bring wheels, tires, and TPMS to my local Discount Tire, pay them $16 per tire to mount and balance them and I get free balancing and tire rotations for life. It's a near hassle free solution. I'm prioritizing this since the Jeep is (a) a daily driver and (b) our only car and we're going into a season of (c) expecting a new baby in March and (d) launching a new company. I need more time with family and running a business than in the garage torquing bolts or mounting tires.
3) I'll save some serious cash ($500-$1000) by purchasing these vs beadlocks. With that extra cash I can get a Rock Hard Sport Cage, some ProGrips, new JW Speaker headlights, or some addons for the new LoD bumper. I think I'll get more utility out of any of those items than the added benefit of being able to go down to 4psi with beadlocks.
4) Long term, I still really want some Trail Ready beadlocks. Based on everything I've read, these things are awesome. Made in USA, often times don't even need balancing, can't find a single person to say a bad thing about them. But, they are really expensive. Long term I also want a Dynatrac 60/60 combo and that'll probably come with a different bolt pattern than 5x5. Hope to pull the trigger on axles and beadlocks at the same time at that point.
5) Why not stick with stock Rubi wheels? First, the backspacing with spacers puts me at 4.75" which is just too much to run the 13.5" tires I got. I'd have quite a bit of rubbing or really need to limit my turn radius. Second, stock Rubi wheels are 7.5" wide which is technically not wide enough for a 13.5" tire. Discount Tire won't mount them; there are a few shops that will hassle with them. These new Ravines are 8.5" wide (the thinnest wheel they'll mount a 13.5" wide tire on). It's thin enough it'll hold a bead really well, but wide enough to be an approved configuration that Discount Tire will support, should wear normally, etc. Also, backspacing with spacers will be about 3.67" which is great for a 13.5" wide tire. Hope to not have any rubbing whatsoever. Also not so low that the tire is really sticking out or putting undue stress on stock ball joints.

It was a really tough call. Tough enough to have new 37" Coopers sit in the garage for two weeks while I agonized over it. Big thanks go to Matt at Discount Tire Direct for discussing the options and giving me a fantastic deal on the new wheels. Anyone looking for wheels needs to PM him. Thanks Matt!

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Seem like all good reasons to me. I think you made the right call and welcome to the small but growing Ravine club. [emoji854][emoji106]

GraniteCrystal

Seem like all good reasons to me. I think you made the right call and welcome to the small but growing Ravine club. [emoji854][emoji106]

Very cool, Scott. I think you made a great decision with the purchase.

those are nice looking wheels, I'm certain you will be happy with your decision!

Sent from my SM-G928V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Congrats on the new purchase. Those will look great!
Thanks guys! Can't wait. Hoping to have DT mount them by end of week when they arrive, then transformation day comes shortly thereafter. Will mount them on Jeep along with new LoD bumper.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Nice wheels. Those are my thoughts on bead locks. I may need them, or want them, at some point. Right now I have other things that need attention.

GraniteCrystal

Great choice! I think those will look awesome especially with the color of your jeep!

Awesome! Way to think through the pro's and con's!

Those wheels look great! Goodjob, can't wait to see them on!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nice wheels. Those are my thoughts on bead locks. I may need them, or want them, at some point. Right now I have other things that need attention.

Cool deal! Those will look sharp against the granite👍
Thanks everyone! I can't wait to see them on. It's all coming together.

GraniteCrystal

Wheels ETA of 2/16
Bumper ETA of 2/21
TPMS sensors ETA of 2/22
At Trail Jeeps getting 5.13 gears and C gussets on 2/23-2/24

Transformation Day: 2/25*

*assuming my wife can switch shifts so I have the Jeep that Saturday

Wooooooohooooooo

Edit: and license plate relocation kit in transit from Ben! Back end is gonna be looking good 👍

Last edited:
Top Bottom