GraniteCrystal build thread

Andy5160

Hooked
DIY vented inner fenders. I'll write this as a how-to, but it's hardly novel, so I'm not planning on making a separate thread for it. I trimmed my fenders a few weeks back, leaving off the inner fenders. I'd love to eventually get some aluminum, vented ones in there from Ace, Artec, or Crawler Conceptz but this is a low cost (free) alternative that covers up the innards of the Jeep and gives some venting.

Tools
Drill and drill bit of choice
4 zip ties or 2 long ones
Jigsaw
Socket wrench and 10mm socket

Step 1: cut them
Depending on how you cut your fenders, you'll trim yours to fit. Here is a pic of mine with the blue tape showing approximate location of my cuts.
View attachment 252141

The jigsaw is the perfect tool for the job
View attachment 252142

The pieces I cut off
View attachment 252145

Step 2: drill them
I chose a 7//32 drill bit and in retrospect I wish I had gone larger. I think something more like 3/8" would do well. Each side takes about 20 minutes to do. Pro tip: use a high speed on your drill and just rapid fire poke holes in it. The plastic cuts smoother the faster you go, just be careful you don't drill a hole in your hand.
View attachment 252143

Make a nice pattern over this portion of the inner fender
View attachment 252144

Step 3: reattach it
Use your socket wrench and 10mm socket to put this female threaded bolt back on (hope you kept it from when you took these off!)
View attachment 252150

Put some plastic push pins back in wherever you can. I was able to do 4 on each side based on my cuts: one at the front of the Jeep and 3 across the top
View attachment 252149

I added one more attachment point at the bottom of the fender liner. Drill a hole big enough for a zip tie and zip tie it to the body mount. At this point, it's on there solid.
View attachment 252147

Finished product
View attachment 252148

and here are some before and afters:
View attachment 252151

View attachment 252152

Retrospective notes:
I don't think the drilling the holes is going to make much of a difference for venting. Here you can see a large open area where heat can escape anyway.
View attachment 252146

If I did it again, I'd probably use a larger drill bit, as previously mentioned to do bigger holes. Maybe even up to 1/2".
12 gage would have done a great job on those inner fenders :thumb::thumb::thumb:
Looks good!

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
Hey Crystal Granite, any chance you could throw a pic up of the substructure you left on the front flares?

I'm looking to change my chop now that I've sold my AEV to the lines you went with out front.

Thanks IMG_6451.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteCrystal

Hey Crystal Granite, any chance you could throw a pic up of the substructure you left on the front flares?

I'm looking to change my chop now that I've sold my AEV to the lines you went with out front.

Thanks View attachment 252704

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Here you go! Took these for you this morning

IMG_20170410_083044-1619x1214.jpg

IMG_20170410_083050-1619x1214.jpg

I left as much as possible under there without anything being visible from the side. Here is a pic from a few days back showing none of the sub-structure is visible

IMG_20170403_182455-1619x1214.jpg

GraniteCrystal

More parts arriving. If this turns out the way I picture it, it'll be pretty awesome.
IMG_20170414_130438.jpg

In the meantime, it's been fun driving around without a dash :)

GraniteCrystal

Final package showed up today. This ended up being possibly my most involved DIY ever but the end result is fantastic. Hope to have the full how-to written up in the next couple days but putting it together well with all my pics will take some time.

IMG_20170416_133439.jpg

Top Bottom