GraniteCrystal build thread

GraniteCrystal

Well tonight was interesting. Went for a run after work up Yankee Hill. At first it was beautiful, then it was rocky and fun, then it was snowy and questionable, then I got stuck.

Road to Central City
IMG_20170417_183141.jpg

Arriving in town
IMG_20170417_184127.jpg

Starting the way up
IMG_20170417_185322.jpg

Almost to the top
IMG_20170417_185917.jpg

There's a little playground
IMG_20170417_190636.jpg

IMG_20170417_190810.jpg

Starting to get rocky
IMG_20170417_192216.jpg

Shooting range at sunset
IMG_20170417_192504.jpg

Top of Yankee Hill
IMG_20170417_192919.jpg

IMG_20170417_193205.jpg

More rocks
IMG_20170417_193440.jpg

This section got interesting. Only part requiring me to lock it up
IMG_20170417_194436.jpg

Then it got snowy. The ruts were about a foot deep. Pretty sketchy but pushed onwards.
IMG_20170417_195454.jpg

About a quarter mile later, the entire trail was snow. I punched it and...stopped. I was able to back up and assess. At this point I'm 9 miles into a 10 mile trail. So close to finishing. I have a winch and could pull myself thru. But...the sun set 20 min before and it's almost dark. I'm at 10,000' and it's going to get cold. There's a town at the end of the trail I could walk to if necessary.

What to do?

I turned it around. Yep, had to retrace my steps but knew I'd make it home.

Night wheeling the way down.
IMG_20170417_202304.jpg

And home I made it.
IMG_20170417_213021.jpg

Lessons learned/relearned: it really is always better to wheel with a buddy. I don't like night wheeling. Snow is crummy.

Also the first shakedown run since the lift and 37s. Performed like a champ. Went through all that, got back on the highway and drove it 70 all the way home.

WJCO

Meme King
Glad to see you getting out and using the new mods. Beautiful day yesterday. Wise choice to turn around, ain't worth it when you're alone.

GraniteCrystal

Looks like an awesome trip. I probably would have turned around if I were by myself too! Also, curious on how the Coopers did?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Did great. There was one section that was the most sketchy where the whole trail is covered in snow except for two ruts about a foot deep and trees lining both sides ready to scrape up a quarter panel. I tried to take the high road but ended up in the ruts. Gave it some gas and the Coopers got me thru without sliding me into any trees. No complaints.
Nice pictures for us to get an idea what it was like like
Would chains have made a difference?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Yeah, for sure. I also didn't air down at all since I wasn't sure about options for air on the other side. Another example where you discover your next mod by the necessity of the moment. I think I would've had a much better chance of making it thru if I'd even been able to drop psi and spread my weight across a large surface area of the snow, rather than digging in.

The flip side of that is that I would be lowering my belly when if I were to air down. In deep snow, that's just more dragging thru it. So, tough to say. In my experience, chains are always helpful in snow though.

GraniteCrystal

Vibrating feeling from 3k-3.5k RPM

Front diff temp: 124F
Rear diff temp: 150F

Play in the front driveshaft. Wasn't greased and now it's shot. Sending back to Bill Englewood to rebuild it and make sure it's greased.

WJCO

Meme King
Vibrating feeling from 3k-3.5k RPM

Front diff temp: 124F
Rear diff temp: 150F

Play in the front driveshaft. Wasn't greased and now it's shot. Sending back to Bill Englewood to rebuild it and make sure it's greased.

Where wasn't it greased? Does it have a zerk or sealed? Strange, you just got that thing. Good luck.

GraniteCrystal

Where wasn't it greased? Does it have a zerk or sealed? Strange, you just got that thing. Good luck.
Down near the pinion, there's a Zerk fitting. They squirted some more in there, but sending it back to have it rebuilt to be safe. Also will get a new seal at the pinion because that's was leaking/sweating as a result.

After we pulled the front DS, drove it again and still some noise. New theory is that the exhaust is hitting the Evo skids. Happened when I first put them on but I fixed it with some electrical tape for padding. Looks like the lift and tires may be putting pressure back on that.

Plan: modify skid plate for more exhaust clearance, check for sound, put rebuilt driveshaft on next week, check for sound again.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
If it does go away after you took the exhaust cross over off you should PM scull about how he bends the front lip of it back when it takes a good hit.

Top Bottom