HALF TIME - Rugged Ridge JK Half Doors for MOBY

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Are the windows a pain in the butt to open and close while driving? Thinking about getting a new set of half doors with the soft uppers, but the power window feature of the full doors are hard to give up.

If you mean pain in the butt in terms of how zippers on soft tops can be - no. So far, the zippers work great and I assume so long as you keep them clean and lubed with zipper lube, they will stay that way. Where they can be a pain is getting to the rear windows and even the passenger side window if you're by yourself but, I think that's a given. However, when driving fast, even the driver side front window will tend to pull outward from the suction created by the wind and some thought in what you're doing is needed to open it up. Without question, the soft windows are far from being anything close to power windows.

JaySC

If you mean pain in the butt in terms of how zippers on soft tops can be - no. So far, the zippers work great and I assume so long as you keep them clean and lubed with zipper lube, they will stay that way. Where they can be a pain is getting to the rear windows and even the passenger side window if you're by yourself but, I think that's a given. However, when driving fast, even the driver side front window will tend to pull outward from the suction created by the wind and some thought in what you're doing is needed to open it up. Without question, the soft windows are far from being anything close to power windows.

That's great info....thanks! And they do look pretty mean on Moby. :cool:

Great feedback!! Thanks for the follow up. How well do the lowers fit in the door jams? Not sure if you had them in any rain. Would they keep the rain and splash from the tires out?

MTG

Caught the Bug
Great feedback!! Thanks for the follow up. How well do the lowers fit in the door jams? Not sure if you had them in any rain. Would they keep the rain and splash from the tires out?

The fit is great and yes it would.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Halfs look great for sure now with all the stickers, I am so glad I got a set for myself. Everyone kept saying are you going to switch back to full doors and I do miss being able to just roll down a window, especially its its raining for a drive through or something but that's all I miss for the most part, well the power locks and interior lights is the only other thing cuz I didn't have the same harness plug that comes with new doors kits to adapt.

jman_12

Wow those look great! I might have to get a set of them along with soft uppers! Love the way Moby has been built lately, y'all have some sweet rigs!

Munday

This thread has made me reconsider these half doors .... I tried these once and was not impressed at all , but I could have just gotten the lemons ... But on a the flip side Stan @ Northridge took them back with out question and I put the $$$ toward the PR60 rear. I was going to bite the bullet and go Mopar but these may get the go ahead again in the spring .....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
To be fair, while I love these Rugged Ridge half doors, I need to remind you that these are far from factory half doors. I have driving in a JK with the later and there really is no comparison. For the price and for what all you get, I do feel these Rugged Ridge doors are well worth the money.

JAGS

Hooked
Not sure if it's been asked or shown. With the uppers, how much do they "fold down" if you were take them off while out on a run? Would it be doable to put the uppers in the trunk at the trail head?

Not sure if it's been asked or shown. With the uppers, how much do they "fold down" if you were take them off while out on a run? Would it be doable to put the uppers in the trunk at the trail head?

They don't "fold" down really at all due to a metal frame. They do lay flat and take up no room at all really. You could use a bungee and they could sit against the back of the back seat. I usually just lay them on top of my gear in the back and use a couple bungees to secure them. Never had an issue.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
They don't "fold" down really at all due to a metal frame. They do lay flat and take up no room at all really. You could use a bungee and they could sit against the back of the back seat. I usually just lay them on top of my gear in the back and use a couple bungees to secure them. Never had an issue.

Yup, as mentioned, the soft uppers have metal frames that make them more like panels. They do not fold but they are lightweight and can be removed/stored onboard with ease.

JAGS

Hooked

Yup, as mentioned, the soft uppers have metal frames that make them more like panels. They do not fold but they are lightweight and can be removed/stored onboard with ease.

Thanks for the clarification. I always have bungee cords or a cargo net when wheeling, so sounds like that is all that would be needed. Might be something to look at come next summer.

Top Bottom