HALF TIME - Rugged Ridge JK Half Doors for MOBY

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You guys aren't putting in the RR decals? :idontknow:

Looks good Eddie! :thumb:

:cheesy: Now that's funny!! I don't know who at Rugged Ridge thought that this was something people would be okay with is beyond me. No, I just assume include them in my decal lineup than to put those things on :crazyeyes:

Those doors continue to impress. Looks great on Moby. Big question though, what does tessa think about them in back?  Lol.

Tessa prefers doorless over doors so I think she'll be okay with this compromise :yup:

Those half doors look fantastic on Moby. Great addition. Did you consider having the "Rugged Ridge" dimple filled by the body shop?

Yeah, as mentioned by MTG and GCM 2, it's a bad idea.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, a somewhat flexible plastic door that is constantly expanding and contracting with the temperature probably would not do well with body filler. My half doors creak and pop with changes in temperature. Once Eddie slaps the stickers/decals on the doors, you will not even notice the depressions unless you are looking really hard for them.

Exactly. If you ever get to see some of the prototype Chrysler SEMA builds after a year or so, you get to see exactly why it's a bad idea especially where filler was applied to plastic parts like the dash and doors.

Love the new look on Moby :thumb::thumb:

Thanks! I just gotta find some time to get the soft uppers on :yup:

Kavanji

why not design and have some oval WAYALIFE stickers / badges made up that fit the dimple?
or some that say MOBY.

i must say the half doors look awesome and are now on my wishlist!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
why not design and have some oval WAYALIFE stickers / badges made up that fit the dimple?
or some that say MOBY.

i must say the half doors look awesome and are now on my wishlist!

LOL!! Now that would be something. Nah, we'll just sticker up like we have in the past and I think as Greg said, they'll hardly be noticeable when all is said and done.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, BTW, I've had a few people ask now and to answer their question (and possibly yours as well), we had a local shop here in Carson City called Battle Born Autobody do the paint and it cost us $644 to have done.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
$161 per door is actually reasonable :thumb:

After talking to a few people, it seemed about par for the course and reasonable to me. They did good work too and we're really quite happy with the finished product. In a crazy way, the paint looks way better than our factory doors did new and if anything, they're a bit too glossy and mirror-like. Good thing we'll be covering them up with stickers as soon as the paint cures :crazyeyes:

Serg5000

Eddie, are those RR doors smooth? Or are they textured. I was wondering what prep was needed prior to painting them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, are those RR doors smooth? Or are they textured. I was wondering what prep was needed prior to painting them.

They have a very fine but uniform texture to them. You need to wet sand them down prior to painting them to achieve a factory like finish.

Serg5000

They have a very fine but uniform texture to them. You need to wet sand them down prior to painting them to achieve a factory like finish.

Thanks for the info. I was wondering because I want to paint my SFZ doors. These are textured as well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the info. I was wondering because I want to paint my SFZ doors. These are textured as well.

To be fair, I would consult with SFZ and make sure what steps to take in order to insure a good paint job. The Rugged Ridge doors came with instructions for this very purpose. Either way, sanding will most likely be a must as it is with any good paint job.

MTG

Caught the Bug

To be fair, I would consult with SFZ and make sure what steps to take in order to insure a good paint job. The Rugged Ridge doors came with instructions for this very purpose. Either way, sanding will most likely be a must as it is with any good paint job.

SFZ used to advise against painting their doors.

dcbjk

Caught the Bug
main.php

I gotta say love Moby's new look :thumb:

Eddie how you like em compared to your full doors

Serg5000

Unfortunately I did not get any type of suggestions for painting. I believe the SFZ doors have never been painted.

I may just give these to my son and start fresh with RR HD's.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately I did not get any type of suggestions for painting. I believe the SFZ doors have never been painted.

SFZ used to advise against painting their doors.

Honestly, that's what I remember as well and why I recommended contacting SFZ prior to painting them.

main.php

I gotta say love Moby's new look :thumb:

Eddie how you like em compared to your full doors

Well, to be totally honest, they are far from being factory full doors or even factory half doors but, they were also a fraction of the price, look factory enough both inside and out, are much much lighter weight and still look really good.

Briguy114

I thought I saw someone on the forum who had SFZ doors that were vinyl wrapped. Thats probably a cheaper and better solution than painting those doors.

Top Bottom