It's Time to SUPERSIZE Moby - MoTech 6.2L LS Jeep Motor Swap

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
It's Time to SUPERSIZE Moby - 6.2L LS Motor Swap

He has said multiple times, even in this thread, that they will never run bigger then 40's.

JAGS

Hooked

Evo1 had mt/r in a 42

And now it is back to Nitto SpecK in 40s because the benefits weren't worth the headaches.

Really, even very few comp rigs go 42s. At least the ones I've seen at several KOH races.

What does that have to do with Eddie not wanting to run anything over 40's?

Evo1 had them and I'm sure they had a bunch of problems due to weight and stuff and Eddie has known Mel for a long time so they know the pros and cons about running tires bigger than 40's and from what Eddie posted a while back on this same thread he said there's more cons than pros for a bigger tire.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Motech recommends the 538's even with the 6 speed and lower trans ratios?

He swapped over to the Auto tranny.

Don't know if I ever said that MoTech recommended anything but, 5.38 is what we already have in our axles and, as mentioned, we are getting a 6L80 automatic transmission.

Hey Eddie and Cindy, are you going any bigger on tires or saying with 40's

Sent from my EVO using WAYALIFE mobile app

I think I read somewhere that the cost/problems of bigger than 40s wasn't really worth it, Mel ran 42s and went back to 40s.

He has said multiple times, even in this thread, that they will never run bigger then 40's.

As mentioned, we have no intensions or desires to run anything bigger than 40's.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, a 6 speed auto - I'm doing a similar swap and was wondering about gears.. 538's seem too low for that trans

You are correct, we are getting a 6-speed auto. 5.38 may be low but, as mentioned, they are what we already have. Before changing anything out, we decided to give it a try and see for ourselves. If it is, we'll deal with it then.

Maybe I skimmed over the reason, but why the auto transmission over the manual?

We have always run a manual and love it but, an auto is much easier to wheel. Plus, with the 6L80 and a tap shift, you kinda get the best of both worlds.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Since a few people have asked about the cost of this build, here is a list of all the parts we have purchased so far along with the price. This cost shown here does not include tax or shipping and is really only the beginning. :eek: I will update it as we go.

THE COST:
(so far - not including tax or shipping)

LS-cost.png

It's not cheap (relative term), but I think it is reasonable so far. If I did this conversion and had to stand back and trust someone to do it start to finish, I'll bet the labor costs would be eye popping! This is a well researched and executed conversion with a good used engine/tranny, some sweat equity and quality EVO shop time. I ran 5.38's w/a Warn 25% OD (approx. 4.04 final gear) in my '49 CJ w/ a 350 Chev and small tires and consistently got over 15mpg. Well, it didn't weigh 7k pounds either. Ultimately it will take some shakedown time and a JKX to find out what works and what doesn't. Film at eleven!:yup:

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Re: It's Time to SUPERSIZE Moby - 6.2L LS Motor Swap

Since a few people have asked about the cost of this build, here is a list of all the parts we have purchased so far along with the price. This cost shown here does not include tax or shipping and is really only the beginning. :eek: I will update it as we go.

THE COST:
(so far - not including tax or shipping)

LS-cost.png

With the cost of mobby when you first bought it and with all the mods you have done, thats better and cheaper then to starting from scratch again, one day I will do the same. If that makes sense. Its going to be one awesome jeep.

RedRockJeeper

Why not the Hemi?

Eddie,

you may have already addressed this earlier, but time constraints do not allow me to read all 50+ pages. So why choose the LS over the MOPAR 5.7 Hemi? Just curious!:thinking:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

Eddie,

you may have already addressed this earlier, but time constraints do not allow me to read all 50+ pages. So why choose the LS over the MOPAR 5.7 Hemi? Just curious!:thinking:

The hemi has a lot of overheating issues. Plus the aftermarket for the LS is treating allowing for more options and ease in finding parts

Sent from my iPhone

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Will the tap shift be located on the steering wheel or next to the shifter?

If we had a 2012, the tap shift would be the shifter. We had even considered going this route anyway but, decided to just to the shift on the steering column.

It's not cheap (relative term), but I think it is reasonable so far. If I did this conversion and had to stand back and trust someone to do it start to finish, I'll bet the labor costs would be eye popping! This is a well researched and executed conversion with a good used engine/tranny, some sweat equity and quality EVO shop time. I ran 5.38's w/a Warn 25% OD (approx. 4.04 final gear) in my '49 CJ w/ a 350 Chev and small tires and consistently got over 15mpg. Well, it didn't weigh 7k pounds either. Ultimately it will take some shakedown time and a JKX to find out what works and what doesn't. Film at eleven!:yup:

If you decided to run a 5.3L instead of a 6.2L like what we're going, you could use a factory NV241 transfer case out of an X, Sport or Sahara and that would save you a bundle. Also, you could get by with more affordable axles as well. :yup:

With the cost of mobby when you first bought it and with all the mods you have done, thats better and cheaper then to starting from scratch again, one day I will do the same. If that makes sense. Its going to be one awesome jeep.

Moby ain't no spring chicken and it really was time to either give him a boost or sell him and start over and really, we didn't want to do the later.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie,

The hemi has a lot of overheating issues. Plus the aftermarket for the LS is treating allowing for more options and ease in finding parts

Sent from my iPhone

Yup, as mentioned, the LS will not have the kind of over heating issues HEMI's have. They are widely available and easier to program, they're lighter weight (only slightly heavier than a 3.8L), they're way smaller than a HEMI (about the same size as a 3.8L), does not require firewall bashing to clear the heads like a HEMI, lots of aftermarket support, better MPG and, the 6L80 is a really nice 6-speed tranny.

Moochie

Do you have any ideas on how to protect the transmission and engine pans? The old skid plates won't work anymore.

Top Bottom