Jack stands and the like, tools

JeepDrum

A breaker bar will definitely come in handy. I have Harbor Freight 3 ton and 6 ton jack stands that I used when I changed out my suspension. 6 ton on the frame and 3 ton on the axle. A piece of pipe or square tubing can be helpful too. I've used square tubing from Lowe's to slide over the handle of my breaker bar, or a crescent wrench, as a cheater for some extra leverage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Kaylinator

http://m.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-Mec..._mobile&cm_mmc=CJ-_-404255-_-11210757&cj=true

Home Depot has the Dewalt 200-Piece Mechanics Tool Set (DWMT75000) for*$89*with free shipping.*

Comes with 45 standard sockets, 26 deep socket, 17 bit sockets, 1/2", 3/8", and 1/4" drive ratchets, 13 accessories, 9 combination wrenches, 28 hex keys, 15 nut bits and 44 specialty bits.

Seem like the right way to go?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using WAYALIFE mobile app
At that price of buy them in a heartbeat. I use DeWalt almost exclusively at work. However, being Canadian, we're used to paying quite a bit more than you Americans. Maybe $89 doesn't seem so cheap to you.

🇨🇦 eh?

Bigjimbo

Per the recommendation from someone here I picked up a Powerbuilt 640912 All-In-One 3-Ton Bottle Jack with Jack Stand for about $35. It's been awesome. Provides up to 21" of lift which easily gets my 37's off the ground. Very stable and easy to use.

My tools are mixed HF, craftsman, Matco, snapon, Mac, OTC and so on. Certain tools I'll pay the money for the "Tiffany's" model and I have gotten like new tools off eBay cheap.

Someone mentioned a breaker bar. I have the HF 1/2" which flexes more than I like, but it hasn't broke. I picked up their 3/4" with an adapter to 1/2" and between that and my high lift bar... It's pretty beast.

I believe Kobalt is essentially Matco while Husky is Stanley.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I have a two ton car jack & 2 jack stand combo from O'Reilly's that I use for smaller stuff. I ended up buying a three ton jack & 2 jack stand combo from Lowes one day as it was on sale for less than $100. I also picked up two - six ton jackstands from harbor freight because I like that they are a little taller and I don't need to use pieces of wood when I put the jackstands on the frame. Also a good workbench is good to have, there's nothing worse then using your floor as a work table :rolleyes2:

zimm

Caught the Bug
I've done lifts on JK's, CJ, and once a leaf sprung F250 (never again). There's nothing like having the front D60 axle roll off the jack and head to the rear wheels in a sloped driveway, oh the springs packs are 100lbs each... but I digress.

But what's worked for all those lifts: 2 big and tall jack stands, 2 "normal" sized jack stands, a 3 ton floor jack, and a light weight aluminum harbor freight 1.5 ton, and some short 4x4 board sections. The tall stands are for the frame, the small stands work for axles or cars. The big jack lifts the truck, the small jack is for moving axles up and down, or even compressing a shock up into it's mount. They don't take much room, the little jack lays on top of the big one. The jack stands sit on top of each other in pairs in the corner of the garage.

NEVER get under a vehicle supported by only a jack- make sure the stands are in place. Jack's can loose pressure and drop at any moment, treat it like it will.

Last edited:

zimm

Caught the Bug
For tools, I'd get a 3/8" drive metric socket set, metric combination wrenches, a torque wrench, and for 1/2" drive- get a set of deep impact sockets, a ratchet wrench/extension/universal. Craftsman is the best for the money spent, especially if you get some smaller sets on holiday sale. My most used sets are individual standard and metric 1/4" and 3/8" sets in their plastic cases (4 total). Avoid the huge suitcase of sockets. The small sets are perfect to bring out to your project and everything is right there.

Here's a 3/8" socket set: https://www.craftsman.com/products/...ead-3-8-in-dr-socket-wrench-set?taxon_id=1847
Impacts (so you can get an impact wrench someday and they won't crack): https://www.craftsman.com/products/...cket-set-6-pt-deep-1-2-in-drive?taxon_id=1651
Combos: https://www.craftsman.com/products/craftsman-11-piece-metric-combination-wrench-set

When you need a tool, go buy it and add it to the collection.

S-K makes good made-in-the-USA stuff, but of course it's more expensive.

Last edited:
I use a mixture of craftsman tools and harbor freight as well! I think I've just been buying them as I need since these are my first tools! I like the idea of purchasing a set in the long run it's cheaper but I know all my tools have a purpose for something on my jeep so I don't take anything unnecessary I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

rogerk93

Just make sure what ever you are doing you lift your jeep high enough from the start. When I installed my lift I didn't set my jeep high enough so when I was done and had to put the tires on my axles were pretty much touching the ground.

Chris1015

For tools, I'd get a 3/8" drive metric socket set, metric combination wrenches, a torque wrench, and for 1/2" drive- get a set of deep impact sockets, a ratchet wrench/extension/universal. Craftsman is the best for the money spent, especially if you get some smaller sets on holiday sale. My most used sets are individual standard and metric 1/4" and 3/8" sets in their plastic cases (4 total). Avoid the huge suitcase of sockets. The small sets are perfect to bring out to your project and everything is right there.

Here's a 3/8" socket set: https://www.craftsman.com/products/...ead-3-8-in-dr-socket-wrench-set?taxon_id=1847
Impacts (so you can get an impact wrench someday and they won't crack): https://www.craftsman.com/products/...cket-set-6-pt-deep-1-2-in-drive?taxon_id=1651
Combos: https://www.craftsman.com/products/craftsman-11-piece-metric-combination-wrench-set

When you need a tool, go buy it and add it to the collection.

S-K makes good made-in-the-USA stuff, but of course it's more expensive.
Really appreciate the thoughts, my man. Thank you so much. Especially the safety side. Thanks again.

jeeper52

LOSER
I wouldn't trust my life with harbor freight jack stands or sears for that matter but that's just me. I purchased 4 2ton stands from harbor freight jacked the jeep up and sat them on the jack stands it it was the scariest thing I've seen in a while lol. Super unstable and the higher I went the worse it got. I couldn't work on the jeep with it only 12" or so above the ground for more than 30min before my back and neck were driving me nuts. So I took them back and ordered real jack stands. Super stable and I think they go all the way up to 48". A little spendy but well worth it for how long I was under the jeep. Think I paid like $400 for the whole set on eBay. If you decide to use the smaller stands at least place a couple tires under the jeep i case it falls so you don't get crushed.

jeeper52

LOSER
Here's a pic, also I forgot to say I bought a real nice jack from Costco. It's very heavy duty and lifts up to 28".

Attachments

• IMG_0095.JPG
    IMG_0095.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Half inch metric socket set. Some combination wrenches in metric. You'll need a 21mm for the track bar. You'll be surprised how glad you are to have the half inch sockets, if you've only ever used 3/8. I prefer 6 point sockets and wrenches. Later you can add gear wrenches, & even a cordless impact, but to get started, just a socket set and combination wrenches. I really like the tools at Lowes, but I have some Home Depot stuff, too, and an old Craftsman set I've had a long time. Get tall jack stands.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
And you need torque wrenches too. I know it sounds like a lot, but think how much you pay to have it done. I'm by no means a mechanic, but I love wrenching on the Jeep. Once you put a budget boost on a Jeep a couple of times, it'll be easy to you. The first time is slow going.

Most people don't realize but harbor freight actually has a lifetime warranty on their hand tools.

On that same logic lets just go out and buy MetalJoke and Terrabreak parts because they have lifetime warranties. lol

Friends don't let friends shop at Harbor Freight.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
On that same logic lets just go out and buy MetalJoke and Terrabreak parts because they have lifetime warranties. lol

Friends don't let friends shop at Harbor Freight.

I think spending $13 bucks on a socket set is not quite on the same level as spending a couple grand on suspension. To each their own though. But judging from the previous posts, I don't think others have much of a problem shopping there either. I'm not too proud to shop at harbor freight from time to time.

Chris1015

I wouldn't trust my life with harbor freight jack stands or sears for that matter but that's just me. I purchased 4 2ton stands from harbor freight jacked the jeep up and sat them on the jack stands it it was the scariest thing I've seen in a while lol. Super unstable and the higher I went the worse it got. I couldn't work on the jeep with it only 12" or so above the ground for more than 30min before my back and neck were driving me nuts. So I took them back and ordered real jack stands. Super stable and I think they go all the way up to 48". A little spendy but well worth it for how long I was under the jeep. Think I paid like $400 for the whole set on eBay. If you decide to use the smaller stands at least place a couple tires under the jeep i case it falls so you don't get crushed.
Yeah, that's a solid idea. The whole idea is super spooky to me. I want some sort of plan B if whatever brand my mighty stands i buy are shit the sheets.

Top Bottom