Jeep JK Wrangler 2.5" Budget Boost Installation Write-Up

JethroJK

Worth mentioning for folks with 2013 (maybe 2012's toos?):

I just finished the 2.5" BB on a 2013 JKU Rubicon. The front is pretty tight using the factory brake line mount. I'll have to test a bit, but I'm not sure I'll be able to use the electronic disconnect with stock brake lines this way. The stock rubi shocks have more travel than the brake line will allow in this configuration. I had a 2010 2dr before, and the new jeeps have a bracket mount for the axel that is crimped onto the brake line (not removable without some work) and then mounts with a 10mm bolt. Routing behind the shock with that crimped-on bracket in place seemed like a bad idea (at the least it would rattle), and prying the bracket off the line seemed a bit risky with the tools I had on hand, so I'll need to revisit this.

Yes I had posted this same issue. I routed behind shock and spring like a 2011 or older. I made a restraining strap to pull away from them and have had no issues.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
I have the rough country 2.5" lift kit came with front brake line drop brackets.

Sent from my EVO using WAYALIFE mobile app

GTMOSCUBA

I installed the 2.5" Teraflex spring lift, fox cd reservoirs, atx slabs on 315/70/17 today & I'm now hearing a rubbing noise when reversing fully to the left or right. Dark out now, but does anyone have any ideas what's causing it?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Tackerdown

Banned
I installed the 2.5" Teraflex spring lift, fox cd reservoirs, atx slabs on 315/70/17 today & I'm now hearing a rubbing noise when reversing fully to the left or right. Dark out now, but does anyone have any ideas what's causing it?

I had to trim that front skirt thing.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

GTMOSCUBA

Did you make sure to trim your pinch seams?

No I didn't, still had a couple inches of clearance or so I think I did. I'll take photos of the pinch seam tomorrow (daylight) & post them for review. Really appreciate the assistance!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How do you think I knew? Those couple of inches disappear real quick depending on what you're doing.

GTMOSCUBA

How do you think I knew? Those couple of inches disappear real quick depending on what you're doing.

LOL, I was planning on cutting them as soon as I get my metal cutting blades, saw I bought only came with a wood blade.

jkrossi

No I didn't, still had a couple inches of clearance or so I think I did. I'll take photos of the pinch seam tomorrow (daylight) & post them for review. Really appreciate the assistance!

Your pinch seams should be fine. My friend is running 35" terra grapper M/Ts and im running 35" toyo A/Ts and the tires dont rub the pinch seems on either of our jeeps at any time of articulation. Ok im sorry we did have to trim his but mine dont rub. I stand corrected.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Your pinch seams should be fine. My is running 35" terra grapper M/Ts and im running 35" toyo A/Ts and the tires dont rub the pinch seems on either of our jeeps at any time of articulation.

315's measure bigger than a 35.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
By how much? Like .5" or so? Its allways been an impression that a 315/70R17 is equivalent to a 35" tire.

As do most people who've never run both. Most advertised tires that are marked 35" typically measure about 33.5" or there about. Most 315's measure about 35". If you want to get a true metric equivalent of a stated 35" tire, you would need to get a 305. How do I know, I have run just about every size tire from 28" on up to 40" and most of the metric equivalents.

jkrossi

As do most people who've never run both. Most advertised tires that are marked 35" typically measure about 33.5" or there about. Most 315's measure about 35" If you want to get a true metric equivalent of a stated 35" tire, you would need to get a 305. How do I know, I have run just about every size tire from 28" on up to 40" and most of the metric equivalents.

Aawww gotcha thank you for the low down. I knew a 35" tire didnt actually measure 35" since ive measured mine. Thanks explaining the whole number thing I appreciate that. Tire sizes always seemed to throw me off. You learn something every day right.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Aawww gotcha thank you for the low down. I knew a 35" tire didnt actually measure 35" since ive measured mine. Thanks explaining the whole number thing I appreciate that. Tire sizes always seemed to throw me off. You learn something every day right.

It's all good. It's also the reason why I always tell people that when you're talking about tires regarding lift kits, clearance, etc, you should always go off of what is stated on the sidewalls and not what they actually measure up to. The only time you should ever take into consideration the "actual" size is when calibrating your speedometer. FWIW, a 315 is on the short side but, if anything, it measures closer to a lot of stated 37" tires.

IIWorlds

315 and 305 are the width of the tire in mm. If you want to find out the wheel diameter you need to factor in the ratio (second number) and the wheel diameter. If you are interested in the formula let me know.

Top Bottom