JEEP TRAIL OFFROAD GPS: What GPS is everyone running?

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Why do you need nav? Get lost on the way to work....or maybe the roads to your new house aren't finished yet??? ;):cheesy:

You seriously need to get that thing offroad dude. Those shocks won't flex themselves ya know. :crazyeyes:

Sheeeeeit..... Finally have a few free days and I'm headed out this weekend.

I honestly don't need my Lowrance. I just got it because it was "jeep bling" and it was so ridiculously inexpensive.

I'll give you the $300 you paid for it.

Paid less than $200 when it was all said and done.

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Sheeeeeit..... Finally have a few free days and I'm headed out this weekend.

I honestly don't need my Lowrance. I just got it because it was "jeep bling" and it was so ridiculously inexpensive.

Paid less than $200 when it was all said and done.

So I'll give you $250 plus shipping. Pure profit.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
I'm in for 251!

All cynicism aside I am going to install this thing. Im just not going to have time to do a nice install until mid November.
New plan is to butcher the factory glove box door and glass my CB, VHF, and Lowrance into a custom panel. For parts I am missing the gps antenna but have the Eastern U.S. topo maps already. Just won't have time for a tedious electrical/fiberglass/bondo/vinyl project until the house is closed and the move is done.

Last edited:

Marauder

All cynicism aside I am going to install this thing. Im just not going to have time to do a nice install until mid November.
New plan is to butcher the factory glove box door and glass my CB, VHF, and Lowrance into a custom panel. For parts I am missing the gps antenna but have the Eastern U.S. topo maps already. Just won't have time for a tedious electrical/fiberglass/bondo/vinyl project until the house is closed and the move is done.

Why not just mount it on the roll bar cross brace or in the little area on the center or the dash?

I have a nexus 7 running backcountry navigator mid dash attached to my roll bar cross brace with a ram mount. Love it!

Last edited:

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Why not just mount it on the roll bar cross brace or in the little area on the center or the dash?

I have a nexus 7 running backcountry navigator mid dash attached to my roll bar cross brace with a ram mount. Love it!

I guess I thought it would be too damned big to be sitting up there all the time. I'll need to toss it up there and give it another look but it's s lot bigger than a nexus 7.

SoK66

Self-Banned
I have the 730n in my JKUR, my wife has the 430n in hers. the 730n is far better than the 430n. Having said that, either one is pretty useless when exploring off main roads.

I use an iPad Mini attached to a Ram Mount off the grab bar running Gaia GPS. I make sure I have the maps for the area I will be in before I go out. It's a pain, but the only way to insure I have the maps when I lose cell signal. It's a pain, but the maps are great.

View attachment 103511

View attachment 103510

Cool idea! I've been using a Garmin for most things, but the trails are pretty hit & miss no matter how much you update. Looked at finding one of the Chrysler RER (?) spec heads as a replacement for the unit in my '09, but figured the maps would be even more basic. Looks like you've found a better way.

Jombo

I use an android app called back country navigator pro. Has a good selection of free map sources and works great.

Off Pavement

Ipad 3 + GPS app - Which one?

I've been using a laptop with DeLorme Topo 6.0 for years with no problems for my back country navigation needs, except the laptop on it's RAM mount is always in the way when my co-pilot is with me. It's an XP machine and takes forever to get booted up and connected to the GPS receiver too. Additionally, the ToughBook lap top is pretty heavy and I think the Ram mount will eventually fail if I continue using it off road. I started looking into GPS enabled tablets and that search got me to thinking the Ipad 3 with a separate bluetooth GPS receiver, would be the cats meow for my middle of nowhere explorations.

Anybody using this sort of hardware arrangement, and what apps would you suggest for back country exploring?

TheDuff

Gaia GPS app is pretty good and only a few bucks. Can't tell you how it compares to others, as it's the only GPS app I've tried, but it's done everything I've wanted.

el_chupo_

How necessary is the separate GPS receiver? Havent tried running the ipad GPS when out of cell service, but that may be a needed item if that is handled with the separate BT receiver.

Off Pavement

Thanks...

Thanks for the response. From my research, it seems folks that run in remote areas are much happier with a separate GPS receiver.

For the Gaia app, is it capable of stitching topo maps together, or do you need to reload a different map each time you cross a map border?

MTG

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the response. From my research, it seems folks that run in remote areas are much happier with a separate GPS receiver.

For the Gaia app, is it capable of stitching topo maps together, or do you need to reload a different map each time you cross a map border?

Nothing is that remote in the US. As for Gaia, you download the map of the area you plan to travel in before you go. At least that is what I've done with it. It works great!

Last edited:

Krieger

I use the Gaia GPS app too. Hands down winner winner chicken dinner. I also use the Garmin GLO with it, it's a GPS that connects to your iPad using using Bluetooth. I think I paid around $100 for it. It's really helpful with location accuracy when you're in more remote areas.

ssgp2

Never felt like I needed an external GPS receiver.
GPS kit HD with Google Hybrid for me.

The satellite maps a very accurate.

But I also have a couple of other Apps so I can compare what maps/resolution are available for the region I'm planning on traveling.

Another map Apps that I just discovered:
http://www.avenza.com/products

Last edited:

Benny

I have an app on my Ipad called "you need a map" works very well for a free app. I used it on my trip to moab and it worked flawlessly. Kind of a pain to import GPX tracks but once you figure it out....easy. It is a huge app because you get the whole western USA topo.

Top Bottom