Jon Snow (formerly Plan-C) The WAYALIFE XJ Build

dcbjk

Caught the Bug
Okay, just finished my write-up for our new rocker guards and have it posted up here:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...herokee-Super-RockRails-Installation-Write-Up

main.php

main.php

main.php

:cool:

Eddy the XJ looks awesome bud I had a buddy of mine here that had one like that but it was green

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Looks awesome, as I've already said I would love to get my hands on an XJ one day. Do you have any plans for an axle swap? Do you have any plans to reinforce the unibody? Thanks in advance for your time. :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looks awesome, as I've already said I would love to get my hands on an XJ one day. Do you have any plans for an axle swap? Do you have any plans to reinforce the unibody? Thanks in advance for your time. :thumb:

No plans on swapping any axles. I don't really foresee us running tires much bigger than what we have now and from past experience, have found the Dana 30/Chrysler 8.25 setup to be strong enough. As far as reinforcement of the unibody goes, I don't know. I'm trying really hard to keep this build on a budget and something anyone can get into for cheap. I guess we'll have to see.

dcbjk

Caught the Bug
No plans on swapping any axles. I don't really foresee us running tires much bigger than what we have now and from past experience, have found the Dana 30/Chrysler 8.25 setup to be strong enough. As far as reinforcement of the unibody goes, I don't know. I'm trying really hard to keep this build on a budget and something anyone can get into for cheap. I guess we'll have to see.

I think it makes an awesome daily driver and very capable for light wheelin. If I owned it I would prolly would put alittle armor on it just to protect the investment, but there again I'm pretty crazy when it comes to armor.

But I love the XJ can't complain just my 2 cents

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think it makes an awesome daily driver and very capable for light wheelin. If I owned it I would prolly would put alittle armor on it just to protect the investment, but there again I'm pretty crazy when it comes to armor.

But I love the XJ can't complain just my 2 cents

LOL!! Yeah, I guess I'm the opposite in that I only like to armor what I really need. Hell, I still run all factory skid plates on my JK's :yup:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy

Thanks for the reply! I did read that you are keeping this rig for more exploring than wheeling. Funny how I kind of want to do the opposite if I get ahold of one of these. I asked about the axles because I stumbled over the “trail 44s” that Dynatrac offers. I think that those would be a good option if I get one with the 30/35 axle combo, and then decide on a tire size. (this is all speculation and dreams because I don’t have one yet. Lol) What year XJ do you recommend?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the reply! I did read that you are keeping this rig for more exploring than wheeling. Funny how I kind of want to do the opposite if I get ahold of one of these. I asked about the axles because I stumbled over the “trail 44s” that Dynatrac offers. I think that those would be a good option if I get one with the 30/35 axle combo, and then decide on a tire size. (this is all speculation and dreams because I don’t have one yet. Lol) What year XJ do you recommend?

Yeah, if I had a 35, I'd want to get it replaced with a 44 or an 8.8. There isn't too much support for a Chrysler 8.25 but it's a solid axle. As far as XJ's go, I prefer anything 1991 or newer - basically, something with a 4.0L high output instead of the old carbureted 258. I really like the 97-01 body styling better but, you can trim and run bigger tires easier with the gen 1 body. Of course, a 2-door would be a lot easier to work with but, having had one, I found getting in and out of the back to be a bit of a pain.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Yeah, if I had a 35, I'd want to get it replaced with a 44 or an 8.8. There isn't too much support for a Chrysler 8.25 but it's a solid axle. As far as XJ's go, I prefer anything 1991 or newer - basically, something with a 4.0L high output instead of the old carbureted 258. I really like the 97-01 body styling better but, you can trim and run bigger tires easier with the gen 1 body. Of course, a 2-door would be a lot easier to work with but, having had one, I found getting in and out of the back to be a bit of a pain.

The only two doors I’ve found have been the 4 cylinder model. I don’t really know anything about that engine other than it is smaller than the I6….. :idontknow: They are also the only manuals that I’ve found which is kind of depressing. :naw:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The only two doors I’ve found have been the 4 cylinder model. I don’t really know anything about that engine other than it is smaller than the I6….. :idontknow: They are also the only manuals that I’ve found which is kind of depressing. :naw:

Yeah, I personally wouldn't bother with the 2.5L motor. Works fine but for what you can get a 4.0L, I would hold out for one of them. As far as manuals go, I had one on my old 94 XJ 2-door and it worked well. They are harder to come by but they are out there.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Yeah, I personally wouldn't bother with the 2.5L motor. Works fine but for what you can get a 4.0L, I would hold out for one of them. As far as manuals go, I had one on my old 94 XJ 2-door and it worked well. They are harder to come by but they are out there.

Again thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind when I go to get one. :thumb:

dcbjk

Caught the Bug
LOL!! Yeah, I guess I'm the opposite in that I only like to armor what I really need. Hell, I still run all factory skid plates on my JK's :yup:

I here ya bud I may change my mind once I get my Jeep and start using it.

vonguido

Glad to see you got them installed! I have yet to get mine installed yet on my 98.....working 80hrs a week, a kid, and full time school has been keeping me from working on it.

The XJ looks killer man. Can't wait to see what else you have in store for it.

mcgeex88

the XJ is looking good eddie cant wait to see some trail pictures im running a similarsetup as you

3in lift and 285s
10559761_912929902055646_3838481990188621682_n.jpg

you still get some good flex from a small lift
10530778_742722449120017_1599510574864896241_n.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Tearing into the dash today to see if I can fix a broken HVAC door that's been driving me crazy...
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1407516846.635211.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is a solenoid busted or is the actual broken? :thinking:

The solenoid is fine, it's the actual blend door that's broken at the shaft that controls it. It's a real common problem on XJ's and it allows the door to flap open and closed just by turning the vent fan on high or even when climbing a hill. I'm gonna see if I can't just wedge something in place to prevent it from flapping around. Replacing the whole box would be epic and would require the entire dismantling of the dash.

Top Bottom