Let's See Your JK Weapon Mounts

JeepDrum

I wasn't going to post these pictures, but since it might give others ideas, I doubt the risk is too great. I built a permanently installed carpeted cover over the back cargo area so I could keep my trauma kit and 2 totes full of trail gear out of sight, and added a hidden gun compartment behind the back seat. These pictures aren't great, as this was right after the build and I had not yet vacuumed the carpet to get all the sawdust off.

With the seat folded down:

With the door opened:

Mossberg 500 with stock that folds over the top on bottom, with an AR on the top. This compartment also holds 500 rounds of 223 (including four 30 round magazines that are ready to go), 300 rounds of 45 ACP and several boxes of double OO and slugs for the Mossberg. Still need to install the electric latches on each side to add security, but no one every knows this is a compartment, even when the look under the deck in the cargo area. The door is a tight fit, and I stuff a tool bag on each side on top of the fenders that must be removed to open the door, so not real concerned about it being discovered by someone wanting a 5 figure discount.

The STI 1911 that's always on my hip is just to get me to this compartment if things get really ugly, but it's unlikely this will ever happen. These are just tools for particular situations, just like the welding system on one of the totes in the back. I hope I never need any of it...

Yeah that's really sweet

professorkx

This is a nice setup. Glad I saw this before I built mine.

It's hard to find spots to secure weapons in a JK, and I noodled this for a couple of months before I came up with a plan I liked. While I enjoy working with metal more than wood, 3/4 plywood was the right product for this job. I was also to match the stock carpet really close by using sub box carpet. It's easy to shape around corners since the backing isn't stiff, and holds in place with contact cement and T50 staples. For the top deck cover, I built it in 2 pieces, as I couldn't get it in place in one piece, as I didn't want to remove the top during the winter. So, I built it in 2 pieces, carpeted as if one solid piece, folded it in half at the seam to put it in place and seamed the underside by gluing in a 12 inch piece of 3/4 plywood. It's never going to break. The deck cover helps me keep things organized, as we toss the cooler, tent, etc on top of the deck and don't have to unload everything to get to my trail supplies if we need to winch, repair something or someone needs medical attention (don't want to be messing around unloading things when I need to access the trauma kit quickly for an Epipen).

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Fit in my hand is the reason I went with the Ruger Redhawk model 5026, as neither the smith nor the judge was comfortable in my hand, and the wood grip version of the Ruger was way too small for my hands. You don't want a loose grip on a 44 magnum...

Yep. I'm a big fan of Ruger. They always feel nice in the hand.

Brute

Hooked
I wasn't going to post these pictures, but since it might give others ideas, I doubt the risk is too great. I built a permanently installed carpeted cover over the back cargo area so I could keep my trauma kit and 2 totes full of trail gear out of sight, and added a hidden gun compartment behind the back seat. These pictures aren't great, as this was right after the build and I had not yet vacuumed the carpet to get all the sawdust off.

With the door opened:

Mossberg 500 with stock that folds over the top on bottom, with an AR on the top. This compartment also holds 500 rounds of 223 (including four 30 round magazines that are ready to go), 300 rounds of 45 ACP and several boxes of double OO and slugs for the Mossberg. Still need to install the electric latches on each side to add security, but no one every knows this is a compartment, even when the look under the deck in the cargo area. The door is a tight fit, and I stuff a tool bag on each side on top of the fenders that must be removed to open the door, so not real concerned about it being discovered by someone wanting a 5 figure discount.

The STI 1911 that's always on my hip is just to get me to this compartment if things get really ugly, but it's unlikely this will ever happen. These are just tools for particular situations, just like the welding system on one of the totes in the back. I hope I never need any of it...

That's a nice setup...I have room behind the rear long seat in the Brute to do something similar...I think I'll fab it out of alum and put a lock on it. I still think a Mossberg 500 with folding stock is a great truck gun...the reason I chose 20 ga was so my two teenage daughters would not be afraid to shoot it...they cringe at 12 ga (I still have my old man's 10 ga Ithaca Mag semi-auto, which actually has less recoil than my Browning 12 ga side by side)...

Your range drill sounds good too...now I know why you have the moniker of professor...mahalo.

GraniteCrystal

Just finished this up today. Full write up in build thread in my signature if interested. I'm happy with it.

Attachments

• 1460068587672.jpg
    1460068587672.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 407
  • 1460068598199.jpg
    1460068598199.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 412

GraniteCrystal

Would it still work if you flipped the rifle over...perhaps a Velcro strap on those washboard roads?...

Here is a pic of it flipped over. I don't like that it lowers the angle of the rifle but this would also work. My thinking was to cradle the scope in the cushion rather than have it rotating and hitting the door. It's a $1200 Leupold scope on Talley scope rings so it's not moving.

Wife had same idea to put strap over it. I'm gonna ride as is and we'll add strap if needed.

GraniteCrystal

Here is a pic of it flipped over. I don't like that it lowers the angle of the rifle but this would also work. My thinking was to cradle the scope in the cushion rather than have it rotating and hitting the door. It's a $1200 Leupold scope on Talley scope rings so it's not moving.

Wife had same idea to put strap over it. I'm gonna ride as is and we'll add strap if needed.

And the pic

Attachments

• 1460071949290.jpg
    1460071949290.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 410
That's a nice setup...I have room behind the rear long seat in the Brute to do something similar...I think I'll fab it out of alum and put a lock on it. I still think a Mossberg 500 with folding stock is a great truck gun...the reason I chose 20 ga was so my two teenage daughters would not be afraid to shoot it...they cringe at 12 ga (I still have my old man's 10 ga Ithaca Mag semi-auto, which actually has less recoil than my Browning 12 ga side by side)...

Your range drill sounds good too...now I know why you have the moniker of professor...mahalo.

Have you considered .300 black out? Depending on the load you have everything from a .45acp to roughly a .30-30 in ballistics from a very light weight and modular package. Although it's not very California friendly.

With the door opened:

This is awesome. If you have any more pictures I'd love to see them. I'm trying to figure out what to do for my truck gun and get home bag. Since I will have a soft top.

Jeepnoub

Have you considered .300 black out? Depending on the load you have everything from a .45acp to roughly a .30-30 in ballistics from a very light weight and modular package. Although it's not very California friendly.

Why would 300 black out be not California friendly?

Jeepnoub

AR pattern rifle (predominantly, AAC made their single shot "handi rifle").

I own 3 AR'S. Definitely nothing wrong with owning them in California . It's harder to get half the 1911s on the market then it is to get a AR. Everything could change after this year though. Love our gun laws.

Brute

Hooked

I think I'm still going with a shotgun for versatility & a sidearm...

Diablo

FatBob, ya I just un-screwed the paddle portion and used it to transfer the holes at the angle I wanted, drilled the holes then counter sunk them then screwed the holster on. Turned out great.

Top Bottom