Let's See Your JK Weapon Mounts

WJCO

Meme King
That's an interesting choice...I wonder what the recoil is firing a .410 shell from a handgun (or .45 Long Colt for that matter)...

I've only had a couple encounters with predatory animals while fishing and not being armed...a fairly large grizzly in Alaska while catching dolly vardens (my companion did have a .44 mag on his chest) and a pissed off lynx in northern Vermont many years ago....and a fisher cat that jumped over my shoulder when I went to fetch a couple more logs for the fire (also in Vermont)...

While I was wheeling above Lone Pine CA near Sanger Meadows last summer, we saw what I believed to be a vary large coyote eating something in an alpine meadow (10k ft elev)...my friend had a good set of binoc's, and was convinced it was a wolf...he's been wheeling there for many years, and thought it was too large to be a coyote.

When in bear country, especially when there is fresh tracks & poop, I usually revert to loud renditions of Pink Floyd tunes so as not to surprise any bears while coming around the bend of a stream...but I think I'd feel better with a shotgun slung on my back as well...

I haven't fired one before. It's a popular enough gun now that you might be able to find a demo one at a range. If it's built right it may not be that noticeable. My 500 kicks like a mofo but it's so heavy and has a 4 way compensator so it doesn't feel that strong. I'm sure that if If i shot it all day I'd have a different story. 2 $ per round is to expensive for frequent practice though.

Evil

That's an interesting choice...I wonder what the recoil is firing a .410 shell from a handgun (or .45 Long Colt for that matter)...

I've only had a couple encounters with predatory animals while fishing and not being armed...a fairly large grizzly in Alaska while catching dolly vardens (my companion did have a .44 mag on his chest) and a pissed off lynx in northern Vermont many years ago....and a fisher cat that jumped over my shoulder when I went to fetch a couple more logs for the fire (also in Vermont)...

While I was wheeling above Lone Pine CA near Sanger Meadows last summer, we saw what I believed to be a vary large coyote eating something in an alpine meadow (10k ft elev)...my friend had a good set of binoc's, and was convinced it was a wolf...he's been wheeling there for many years, and thought it was too large to be a coyote.

When in bear country, especially when there is fresh tracks & poop, I usually revert to loud renditions of Pink Floyd tunes so as not to surprise any bears while coming around the bend of a stream...but I think I'd feel better with a shotgun slung on my back as well...

Have you looked at a Kel Tec KSG? Compact, high capacity. Fun as hell to shoot and accurate when sights are dialed in but kicks like a mule on crack with slugs in it.

Samlautranger

View attachment 196687

I'm leaning towards this...Mossberg 500 tactical

I would go with a Remington 870, or Benelli Nova. And would go with 12ga. More variety of ammo. You can get low recoil 12 ga rounds, in slugs or buckshot, if needed. More versatility, from bird shot to lethal. Even can get non-lethal rounds, flares, etc. Do not care much for the "tactical" M-4 style stocks either. Go with a traditional wood, or go with a Hogue. Now, if you have the extra coin, get a Wilson Combat border patrol, or check out Ithica's new model. Little pricy but very well made. They have a 20ga model as well, if you still want to go that route.

I also am of the belief, that a less "tactical" looking gun, in your vehicle or on your person (if hiking, camping, fishing, etc.) brings less attention to yourself.

If looking for a rifle, general purpose, I am a big fan of Henry's lever actions. For compactness, check out their .357 or .44 carbines, or for "Bear" defense go with their 45-70. Use to be a big fan of Marlins, and had many before, but their quality has really gone down.

Now of course if you want a "battle rifle", I am a HUGE advocate of the Steyr Aug platform. Much better in many many ways than the AR or AK platforms I carried/used for work for a couple of decades.

Last edited:

professorkx

We camp in grizzly country on the dual sport motorcycle, and I used to carry a Moss berg 500 with a folding stock in a holder on the back of the bike. Last summer, I was confronted by a moose when I came around a corner, and realized I couldn't get to the shotgun if he charged. A couple of shots in the ground from my 45acp and he moved along, but the 45 app is pretty light for bigger 4 legged threats.

I now carry a 44 magnum Ruger Redhawk with a 4.2 inch barrel loaded with 305 grain hard cast bear loads. I carry the 44 in a Double D leather chest rig, so it's easy to get to and it is sufficient to deal with any threat. I practice firing all rounds at a target coming towards me, so know I can empty the gun in less than 20 feet, just need to get it out and on target quickly. The chest holster makes easy to pack around and comfortable to carry on a 10 hour ride through the woods.

If I wanted to hunt, I'd bring a rifle, but I just need something to convince threats to move along. I've shot the ground for 2 moose and 2 bear to convince them I didn't want to play. I also see cougar each year, but they leave the area quickly when they see me, so I don't consider them a threat.

Check out a 44 magnum. They aren't that bad to shoot...

WJCO

Meme King
We camp in grizzly country on the dual sport motorcycle, and I used to carry a Moss berg 500 with a folding stock in a holder on the back of the bike. Last summer, I was confronted by a moose when I came around a corner, and realized I couldn't get to the shotgun if he charged. A couple of shots in the ground from my 45acp and he moved along, but the 45 app is pretty light for bigger 4 legged threats.

I now carry a 44 magnum Ruger Redhawk with a 4.2 inch barrel loaded with 305 grain hard cast bear loads. I carry the 44 in a Double D leather chest rig, so it's easy to get to and it is sufficient to deal with any threat. I practice firing all rounds at a target coming towards me, so know I can empty the gun in less than 20 feet, just need to get it out and on target quickly. The chest holster makes easy to pack around and comfortable to carry on a 10 hour ride through the woods.

If I wanted to hunt, I'd bring a rifle, but I just need something to convince threats to move along. I've shot the ground for 2 moose and 2 bear to convince them I didn't want to play. I also see cougar each year, but they leave the area quickly when they see me, so I don't consider them a threat.

Good example of a moose story. Almost once a year here someone gets hurt by a moose ( or elk) because they don't understand the dangers. These animals have gotten so used to people that they don't perceive us as a threat and they just stick around but will stand their ground. Backpacker magazine did a great article a couple years ago mainly about bears, one of the subsections was 'take pictures or take cover.' Good read. 44 Magnum is a strong sidearm.

Brute

Hooked

Sound advice...I think I'll go out to a range that has a 44 mag and fire off some rounds for the feel of it...and speaking of the feel of it, I roger that concerning double D...

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
The Judge isn't bad to shoot, just remember what it is. My stepdad and father in law both have one. I wanted one for the simple idea of it being a 410 and a 45. After they got theirs, I just don't like the feel of them in the hand. They are a little awkward per say. I may still get one but its farther down on the list.

professorkx

Sound advice...I think I'll go out to a range that has a 44 mag and fire off some rounds for the feel of it...and speaking of the feel of it, I roger that concerning double D...

At the range, I use what I call the "running man drill". My wife loads her .380 and has it on the counter in her lane with her hands below the counter or the gun at low ready. The target is set at 20 feet, with my finger on the switch that brings the target into the counter. Without warning, I hold the switch to make the target "run" towards the counter, and she has to bring gun to high ready and put 5 rounds in the target before it touches the counter. This teaches instinct shooting, as there is no time to get your sight picture, just point and shoot. I use this drill with new shooters as well to help them understand the difference between range shooting and self defense shooting, as the vast majority of self defense shootings are at bad breath distances, so no sight picture. The first time through the drill, very few folks ever hit 5 for 5 anywhere on the target, but with practice, 5 for 5 center mass shots gets easier. I use this same drill with my wife on the switch to get used to sending five 44 magnum shots downrange. Yes, it kicks, which is one of the purposes of the drill, to get used to overcoming the kick with each round and stay on target, as I wouldn't get a second chance at eliminating a threat from a charging 4 legged animal. The second purpose is to get used to engaging the threat in double action, as the trigger pull in double action is very long. When I run this drill with a semi auto pistol, I also load a snap cap at random somewhere in the magazine (my wife loads the magazine with the snap cap in a random spot, and she always tries to be tricky) so I have at least one clearing drill while the target is rushing towards me. My wife LOVES this drill, and she can burn a box of 50 just on this one drill...and she's deadly accurate.

I shoot a local USPSA style competition at this range, so I know everyone and they allow me to rapid fire in this drill and double tap in other drills, which is not allowed at most indoor ranges.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
At the range, I use what I call the "running man drill". My wife loads her .380 and has it on the counter in her lane with her hands below the counter or the gun at low ready. The target is set at 20 feet, with my finger on the switch that brings the target into the counter. Without warning, I hold the switch to make the target "run" towards the counter, and she has to bring gun to high ready and put 5 rounds in the target before it touches the counter. This teaches instinct shooting, as there is no time to get your sight picture, just point and shoot. I use this drill with new shooters as well to help them understand the difference between range shooting and self defense shooting, as the vast majority of self defense shootings are at bad breath distances, so no sight picture. The first time through the drill, very few folks ever hit 5 for 5 anywhere on the target, but with practice, 5 for 5 center mass shots gets easier. I use this same drill with my wife on the switch to get used to sending five 44 magnum shots downrange. Yes, it kicks, which is one of the purposes of the drill, to get used to overcoming the kick with each round and stay on target, as I wouldn't get a second chance at eliminating a threat from a charging 4 legged animal. The second purpose is to get used to engaging the threat in double action, as the trigger pull in double action is very long. When I run this drill with a semi auto pistol, I also load a snap cap at random somewhere in the magazine (my wife loads the magazine with the snap cap in a random spot, and she always tries to be tricky) so I have at least one clearing drill while the target is rushing towards me. My wife LOVES this drill, and she can burn a box of 50 just on this one drill...and she's deadly accurate.

I shoot a local USPSA style competition at this range, so I know everyone and they allow me to rapid fire in this drill and double tap in other drills, which is not allowed at most indoor ranges.

That sounds like a lot of fun also while still learning. [emoji106]

JeepDrum

All these make me jealous of our strict laws in NJ

DITTO! I just purchased my first firearm. My uncle has a farm near me and shoots in his back yard a couple times a month. It's illegal for me to even bring my pistol to his house to shoot with him! Wouldn't want to get caught breaking transport laws lol.

professorkx

The Judge isn't bad to shoot, just remember what it is. My stepdad and father in law both have one. I wanted one for the simple idea of it being a 410 and a 45. After they got theirs, I just don't like the feel of them in the hand. They are a little awkward per say. I may still get one but its farther down on the list.

Fit in my hand is the reason I went with the Ruger Redhawk model 5026, as neither the smith nor the judge was comfortable in my hand, and the wood grip version of the Ruger was way too small for my hands. You don't want a loose grip on a 44 magnum...

professorkx

I wasn't going to post these pictures, but since it might give others ideas, I doubt the risk is too great. I built a permanently installed carpeted cover over the back cargo area so I could keep my trauma kit and 2 totes full of trail gear out of sight, and added a hidden gun compartment behind the back seat. These pictures aren't great, as this was right after the build and I had not yet vacuumed the carpet to get all the sawdust off.

With the seat folded down:

With the door opened:

Mossberg 500 with stock that folds over the top on bottom, with an AR on the top. This compartment also holds 500 rounds of 223 (including four 30 round magazines that are ready to go), 300 rounds of 45 ACP and several boxes of double OO and slugs for the Mossberg. Still need to install the electric latches on each side to add security, but no one every knows this is a compartment, even when the look under the deck in the cargo area. The door is a tight fit, and I stuff a tool bag on each side on top of the fenders that must be removed to open the door, so not real concerned about it being discovered by someone wanting a 5 figure discount.

The STI 1911 that's always on my hip is just to get me to this compartment if things get really ugly, but it's unlikely this will ever happen. These are just tools for particular situations, just like the welding system on one of the totes in the back. I hope I never need any of it...

WJCO

Meme King
I wasn't going to post these pictures, but since it might give others ideas, I doubt the risk is too great. I built a permanently installed carpeted cover over the back cargo area so I could keep my trauma kit and 2 totes full of trail gear out of sight, and added a hidden gun compartment behind the back seat. These pictures aren't great, as this was right after the build and I had not yet vacuumed the carpet to get all the sawdust off.

With the seat folded down:

With the door opened:

Mossberg 500 with stock that folds over the top on bottom, with an AR on the top. This compartment also holds 500 rounds of 223 (including four 30 round magazines that are ready to go), 300 rounds of 45 ACP and several boxes of double OO and slugs for the Mossberg. Still need to install the electric latches on each side to add security, but no one every knows this is a compartment, even when the look under the deck in the cargo area. The door is a tight fit, and I stuff a tool bag on each side on top of the fenders that must be removed to open the door, so not real concerned about it being discovered by someone wanting a 5 finger discount.

The STI 1911 that's always on my hip is just to get me to this compartment if things get really ugly, but it's unlikely this will ever happen. These are just tools for particular situations, just like the welding system on one of the totes in the back. I hope I never need any of it...

That is awesome.

Top Bottom