Lift kits..

WheelinMatt

Caught the Bug
If I had the space, tools and time I would install a lift myself but I don’t have so I’m fine paying Good shop to install. Regarding $100-$120/hour for shop rates….. would you work for less than that? I’m amazed how people think shops should be installing parts for $50/hour now days….. the shops need to make a profit to keep their business open so $120/hour doesn’t seem unreasonable to me.

If I had the space, tools and time I would install a lift myself but I don’t have so I’m fine paying Good shop to install. Regarding $100-$120/hour for shop rates….. would you work for less than that? I’m amazed how people think shops should be installing parts for $50/hour now days….. the shops need to make a profit to keep their business open so $120/hour doesn’t seem unreasonable to me.
There is a guy living under the bridge who is willing to do it for less. 🤣

rubi_vette

Yeah I know, tons of overhead so that makes logically sense. It's ironic that Dealership shop prices are $150/hr+. But those are called stealerships for a reason!

WheelinMatt

Caught the Bug
The problem with dealerships is they hire low quality work for the most part …. People I don’t want working on my vehicle! A good Indy shop will have better quality work in my opinion, especially if they specialize in Jeeps and other off-road vehicles.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Yeah I know, tons of overhead so that makes logically sense. It's ironic that Dealership shop prices are $150/hr+. But those are called stealerships for a reason!
There is a few independent shops around my dealer that are priced only $10 less than us…

rubi_vette

Been going back and forth about this idea. If I should even lift the ride for now, as it won't see many off-roads for the majority of it's life. I mean it will, depending on how the trips in the future go, but it's also a daily. Some people have mentioned to me, if I go up in a lift kit with bigger tires at a later point It will be a harsh daily/ride. I've had some suggestions of just upgrading away from my chinese branded atturo tires and purchasing Wildpeaks/KO2s and calling it a day.

I know lifting the ride changes the dynamic of driving it daily, as well some smiles per gallon. So just trying to go back and forth to see if that part is even worth it (at least right now)

Would it be weird to purchase a set of 4 and than keep the spare from the Atturo (in the rear) until I sell the Atturo tires locally than buy another 5th wheel? Since the 5th wheel looks easy to unmount and remount.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Been going back and forth about this idea. If I should even lift the ride for now, as it won't see many off-roads for the majority of it's life. I mean it will, depending on how the trips in the future go, but it's also a daily. Some people have mentioned to me, if I go up in a lift kit with bigger tires at a later point It will be a harsh daily/ride. I've had some suggestions of just upgrading away from my chinese branded atturo tires and purchasing Wildpeaks/KO2s and calling it a day.

I know lifting the ride changes the dynamic of driving it daily, as well some smiles per gallon. So just trying to go back and forth to see if that part is even worth it (at least right now)

Would it be weird to purchase a set of 4 and than keep the spare from the Atturo (in the rear) until I sell the Atturo tires locally than buy another 5th wheel? Since the 5th wheel looks easy to unmount and remount.
Sounds to me that the people you've been talking to bought substandard lifts and or don't know what they're doing. Me, I ALWAYS make it a point to build my Jeeps in a way that ride far superior to stock.

As far as spares go, you can do whatever you want but on the trail, it really is helpful to have a FULL SIZE spare, regardless of make.

jeeeep

Hooked

different tread patterns roll/pull differently on the road, also need to consider the diameter size difference. Long term use with the odd spare can cause issues.

get all 5 and do a 5 tire rotation, you'll have a usable spare when the time comes

different tread patterns roll/pull differently on the road, also need to consider the diameter size difference. Long term use with the odd spare can cause issues.

get all 5 and do a 5 tire rotation, you'll have a usable spare when the time comes
Be aware that a lot of tire shops will do only a 4 tire rotation and will strongly resist 5 because there is only one price. They may also lie and skip rotating sometimes (as happened to me, rat-ass bastards!) even though it was paid for.

rubi_vette

Sounds to me that the people you've been talking to bought substandard lifts and or don't know what they're doing. Me, I ALWAYS make it a point to build my Jeeps in a way that ride far superior to stock.

As far as spares go, you can do whatever you want but on the trail, it really is helpful to have a FULL SIZE spare, regardless of make.
Your totally right. I've always done whatever I wanted to make stock better in any of my rides. I think I'll continue with the lift, and than move up in tire size later on in the fall. Sadly, my wallet can't always be open right? 🤣🤑

GP NOIR

Hooked
^^^ This

I only changed mine due to money burning a hole in my pocket & thought it would fix a slight wobble issue. Turns out that no matter what you spend on a stabilizer it wont hide a worn out track bar bushing.
You hit the nail on the head. There are a lot of experienced mechanics that insist installing a new steering stabilizer will fix Death Wobbles. Many insist a bad steering stabilizer causes DWs. That’s not my experience. I’ve driven many miles without a steering stabilizer without the slightest hint of DW. The only way I’ve been able to fix DWs is to find what part of the steering is loose, worn, flexing or cracked and replace/repair it.

I’ve also found there is a difference between wobble in the steering and wander.

The steering stabilizer does serve a purpose. It damps hits from the road which reduces wear on steering components.

Last edited:

rubi_vette

You hit the nail on the head. There are a lot of experienced mechanics that insist installing a new steering stabilizer will fix Death Wobbles. Many insist a bad steering stabilizer causes DWs. That’s not my experience. I’ve driven many miles without a steering stabilizer without the slightest hint of DW. The only way I’ve been able to fix DWs is to find what part of the steering is loose, worn, flexing or cracked and replace/repair it.

I’ve also found there is a difference between wobble in the steering and wander.

The steering stabilizer does serve a purpose. It damps hits from the road which reduces wear on steering components.
Won't lie. The death wobble thing is scaring me. I've seen and read things on it. I'm like .... EEK

WJCO

Meme King
There is a few independent shops around my dealer that are priced only $10 less than us…
Seems like most independents and dealers are running 150-200 per hour nationwide. Just the cost of doing business. It is what it is in modern times.

GP NOIR

Hooked
Won't lie. The death wobble thing is scaring me. I've seen and read things on it. I'm like .... EEK
Every time my Jeep had the Death Wobbles, it scared the Hell outta me! DWs takes away all steering control from the driver. It won’t go away if you speed up. It won’t go away if you slow down until you come almost to a stop. You can’t force the steering wheel. The Death Wobbles are appropriately named.

That’s why I take finding the source and fixing it seriously. The last case of DWs was my Rubicon and fortunately it was minor. The cause was worn ball joints in the steering knuckles complicated by a worn drop pitman arm.

In all, I had to install a factory pitman arm, 1 ton high steer drag link, 1 ton tie rod and new ball joints. Parts weren’t cheap and it was a lot of work in a cold shed, but the results were worth it.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Seems like most independents and dealers are running 150-200 per hour nationwide. Just the cost of doing business. It is what it is in modern times.
Yup, average price for my area outside Philly is $165 and we are at $175/hr. $195 for medium duty work

rubi_vette

Every time my Jeep had the Death Wobbles, it scared the Hell outta me! DWs takes away all steering control from the driver. It won’t go away if you speed up. It won’t go away if you slow down until you come almost to a stop. You can’t force the steering wheel. The Death Wobbles are appropriately named.

That’s why I take finding the source and fixing it seriously. The last case of DWs was my Rubicon and fortunately it was minor. The cause was worn ball joints in the steering knuckles complicated by a worn drop pitman arm.

In all, I had to install a factory pitman arm, 1 ton high steer drag link, 1 ton tie rod and new ball joints. Parts weren’t cheap and it was a lot of work in a cold shed, but the results were worth it.
I guess the question would be- if a person adds a lift and steering stabilizer, is it a higher possibility to recieve the death wobble? as a daily, I don't really want to pour money into fixing something like that since it can mean a few things.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I guess the question would be- if a person adds a lift and steering stabilizer, is it a higher possibility to recieve the death wobble? as a daily, I don't really want to pour money into fixing something like that since it can mean a few things.
If a person buys ANY vehicle with a solid front axle and a track bar, they would have a higher possibility of getting death wobble. There are TONS of JL owners who had/have it on their bone stock Jeeps.

That said, a new steering stabilizer will NOT fix death wobble and if anything, it would simply mask the real problem. Installing a lift 'can' open the door to it being that anytime you work on things like your track bar, the possibility exists that a bolt will not be tightened to torque spec and that will lead to death wobble.

rubi_vette

If a person buys ANY vehicle with a solid front axle and a track bar, they would have a higher possibility of getting death wobble. There are TONS of JL owners who had/have it on their bone stock Jeeps.

That said, a new steering stabilizer will NOT fix death wobble and if anything, it would simply mask the real problem. Installing a lift 'can' open the door to it being that anytime you work on things like your track bar, the possibility exists that a bolt will not be tightened to torque spec and that will lead to death wobble.
Won't lie. This makes me want to just swap my tires and call it a day until some later point. Lol They should advertise this on their website 😏😂

Top Bottom