Light 2 Dr and 2" Plush rides set up

desertrunner

so this weekend i finally got myself another JK, 2dr this time around and looking for some info i couldnt find while searching.

Looking either to get an EVO level kit or maybe 4dr Rubi set of coils and shocks. The ride of the Plush rides sounds more desirable though.

being that this round i am on a bit of a tighter budget i dont have any bumpers or a winch or anything yet i have a really light 2dr and i know i would end up with more than 2" with the plush rides up front so with that in mind i was curious about a few things.

1: If i end up with more than 2.5" of lift am i going to end up with issues on my front driveshaft boot? (2012' 6 speed)

2: I know the kit is intended to run the stock shocks and i have read of people running longer shocks or adapters and i am inclined to get some longer shocks but not sure if going with shocks made for 0-2" would be good or go longer???

3: also with getting that much lift i have a feeling ill need longer swaybar links? I have read of people running factory rear links since they are longer, but i have a sport and want some quick discos (for now) like the JKS set but not sure if the ones they advertise for a 0-2" lift would be long enough???

4: is there going to be a need for an adjustable front track bar if i end up with way more than 2"???

I didnt find any info on people with light 2 doors and plush rides needing a new driveshaft or adj track bar so maybe im way overthinking this but i would rather find out this info before i buy the coils

on a side note im wanting to cut the stock fenders and run 315/70/17s so maybe the plush rides would just be too much lift anyway and i could go a different route all together (jks or emu or 4dr set)

Clutch

Caught the Bug
You'll get about 3-3.25" of lift. Driveshaft and boot will be fine if you stay on the stock shocks or 2" longer max. You will probably end of wanting new swaybar links for the front, but not necessarily needed on a sport. You may need something to help with caster if you feel it wandering on the highway. Front brakeline extensions will be needed if you get shock extensions or new shocks. Also, 1.5" rear spacer or you'll be nose high. I think that is it. It really isn't as cheap of a proposition as you would initially think for a 2 door.

desertrunner

You'll get about 3-3.25" of lift. Driveshaft and boot will be fine if you stay on the stock shocks or 2" longer max. You will probably end of wanting new swaybar links for the front, but not necessarily needed on a sport. You may need something to help with caster if you feel it wandering on the highway. Front brakeline extensions will be needed if you get shock extensions or new shocks. Also, 1.5" rear spacer or you'll be nose high. I think that is it. It really isn't as cheap of a proposition as you would initially think for a 2 door.

totally forgot about the brake lines, didnt really think of the caster situation either. Damn i think 3" or even more lift is going to be just way too much
looking at notnalc68's rig it didnt look like it was that crazy high, he did have a winch which i know is some weight but not THAT much

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
IMG_1478486774.842948.jpg

IMG_1478486793.111811.jpg

IMG_1478486823.115303.jpg

2dr on leveling kit with 35s. Don't waste your money on a lift kit for 2.5". Just get the leveling kit. I love mine and you cant beat it for the money.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

View attachment 229808

2dr on leveling kit with 35s. Don't waste your money on a lift kit for 2.5". Just get the leveling kit. I love mine and you cant beat it for the money.

That massive bumper and winch adds a shit ton of weight that i do not have i would end up with WAY more lift than you got out of it. I agree i am not going to waste my money on a full kit but i dont want to end up with 3.5" of lift out of the 2" plush rides and end up buying all the extra shit listed above because its too high

JKbrick

I just removed my JKS lift today and put 18/59 springs on and left the 1/2" spacer I had in there to level the front up and I am right at 2" now

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

I just removed my JKS lift today and put 18/59 springs on and left the 1/2" spacer I had in there to level the front up and I am right at 2" now

Maybe ill just find some 4 dr springs and see how it feels, i have read it can be a bit harsh.

You running 4 dr shocks or stock or longer shocks?

catahoula

Caught the Bug
18/59 springs, rubi shocks TF 2" spacers in front 1" in rear and running 255's. Rubi shocks will help. Coils are a bit harsh. I do like the results. Very inexpensive. I will change to Plush coils later.

1476719436723.jpg

ForumRunner_20150518_184054.jpg

JKbrick

Maybe ill just find some 4 dr springs and see how it feels, i have read it can be a bit harsh.

You running 4 dr shocks or stock or longer shocks?

I left my fox shocks on, haven't driven it yet. My wife is a 3rd shift paramedic and I didn't get it back on the ground until our daughter went to bed and can't leave. I noticed since I have rockstar skids on the back the rear coils will fall out but the fronts dont. I changed due to having shitty steering and not being able to find it so I lowered it and put the stock drag link back on and the track bars back down to stock mounting locations

Clutch

Caught the Bug
View attachment 229806

View attachment 229807

View attachment 229808

I don't see how a lift kit is much different than the levelng kit once you start factoring brakeline, sway bar links, bumpstops and shocks; stuff to make the leveling kit complete. Really all you add is rear coils, so when you boil it down cost differential is really negligible. Unless you're talking about a budget boost, which I think is a viable option.

BTW, gregmort, your jeep is really sweet. One of my favorites.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I don't see how a lift kit is much different than the levelng kit once you start factoring brakeline, sway bar links, bumpstops and shocks; stuff to make the leveling kit complete. Really all you add is rear coils, so when you boil it down cost differential is really negligible. Unless you're talking about a budget boost, which I think is a viable option.

A leveling kit with spacers or a BB with spacers do not change the ride. Coils will change the ride.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
I left my fox shocks on, haven't driven it yet. My wife is a 3rd shift paramedic and I didn't get it back on the ground until our daughter went to bed and can't leave. I noticed since I have rockstar skids on the back the rear coils will fall out but the fronts dont. I changed due to having shitty steering and not being able to find it so I lowered it and put the stock drag link back on and the track bars back down to stock mounting locations

Good luck! Be sure to let us know the resolution.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
A leveling kit with spacers or a BB with spacers do not change the ride. Coils will change the ride.

The leveling kit, ie plushrides will certainly change the ride especially if it give 3" of lift. A budget boost will only in the fact that it raises the cog a bit.

Edit, I re-read your post. Yes, I agree with you.

desertrunner

that was one thing i was a little worried about with going with the longer shocks is having the coil fall out at full flex but then again i do want it to flex haha
heard good things about the rancho 9000s maybe 4dr springs and a set of those for a 0-2" lift might be good to go until i get some weight on the front

desertrunner

well typically a "leveling" kit only gives you a small lift and usually mostly up front to fix the factory rake, its not intended to "need" break lines shocks control arms, sway bar links etc.... it just so happens the 2" plush rides give the 2 drs way more than 2"

JKbrick

that was one thing i was a little worried about with going with the longer shocks is having the coil fall out at full flex but then again i do want it to flex haha
heard good things about the rancho 9000s maybe 4dr springs and a set of those for a 0-2" lift might be good to go until i get some weight on the front

I just looked at the receipt for my shocks when I purchased them. They are Fox for 1" to 3" lift. I think the rockstars just let the back droop lower. I had the retainer clips on the top of the rear coils before and don't think I would have needed them but maybe I'll put them back on now

desertrunner

18/59 springs, rubi shocks TF 2" spacers in front 1" in rear and running 255's. Rubi shocks will help. Coils are a bit harsh. I do like the results. Very inexpensive. I will change to Plush coils later.

so you have the 4dr springs AND a 2" puck up front? That actually looks like it would be good looking for 315s and cut stock fenders.

How does it flex? any other parts you needed to make it work like brake lines?

BTW i also have a Catahoula AWESOME breed couldnt be more happy with her. (edit: come to think of it i think we have had that convo already haha)

Last edited:

catahoula

Caught the Bug
so you have the 4dr springs AND a 2" puck up front? That actually looks like it would be good looking for 315s and cut stock fenders.

How does it flex? any other parts you needed to make it work like brake lines?

BTW i also have a Catahula AWESOME breed couldnt be more happy with her. (edit: come to think of it i think we have had that convo already haha)

I know! Just working on the boss for those! The flex seems to be alright. If I stay with this set up I will get longer brake lines and 2" shocks.

LOL! You bet awesome awesome breed!

Jealous of your Gecko too!

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Oooooo here is a pic I saved you might like!

wrh3 18 59 tf leveling kit.jpg

18/59's with leveling kit and 255's I believe.

Later with 2.5" lift and 35's

wrh3 2.5 35.jpg

Top Bottom