Light wheeling, possible snow, northern Colorado, 1/28

WJCO

Meme King
Anyone want to do some easy wheeling on Saturday with the possibility of some snow? There are 3 short trails up here: Ironclad area, Taylor Mountain (Bright Trail), and Rock Creek (Ski Road). Thought it might be fun for a short get out.

Going:

1) WJCO
2) bigcale +1
3) Slimebones
4) Vanv39

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Always interested.

Nice! I assume you're familiar with all of these? They're really close to each other. I'm never actually done the full ironclad loop, something has always come up where we couldn't complete it.

Slimebones

I think I can get Saturday off work. Wife and I would like to join. Jonesin. Jeep needs to get out more. Daily driver makes for boring life.

bigcale

Caught the Bug
Nice! I assume you're familiar with all of these? They're really close to each other. I'm never actually done the full ironclad loop, something has always come up where we couldn't complete it.

Been down a bunch of the trails up there around Ironclads. Not sure is the gate for Taylor will be open, they usually close it about the same time as Johnny Park.

WJCO

Meme King
Been down a bunch of the trails up there around Ironclads. Not sure is the gate for Taylor will be open, they usually close it about the same time as Johnny Park.

I think we may be the last group through. It's still open as of now, but Johnny Park is already closed: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/arp/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5339508

I figure Taylor will be a good starting run, it gets a lot more sun, so we'll have an idea of what the snow is like. Most of the Ironclad gets sun as well. Last year in February it was dry for us. The loop itself may be sketchy if there's deep snow. Then Rock Creek is pretty straightforward, but it's a canyon with little sun, so it may be deep snow.

bigcale

Caught the Bug
I think we may be the last group through. It's still open as of now, but Johnny Park is already closed: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/arp/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5339508

I figure Taylor will be a good starting run, it gets a lot more sun, so we'll have an idea of what the snow is like. Most of the Ironclad gets sun as well. Last year in February it was dry for us. The loop itself may be sketchy if there's deep snow. Then Rock Creek is pretty straightforward, but it's a canyon with little sun, so it may be deep snow.

They shut Johnny Park on Dec 1st. The trail is still doable, or it was a week ago, but the gates were shut.

WJCO

Meme King
Gotta work unless I catch a cold!:D

It could happen. Would love to have you up here wheeling with us.

They shut Johnny Park on Dec 1st. The trail is still doable, or it was a week ago, but the gates were shut.

Ok. Well that's good news. Hopefully Taylor will be similar as far as trail-ability.

Wish I could go but I have a hockey game, have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Have fun at the game. We have plenty of months of wheeling coming up. It's not ideal wheeling weather here, but wife and I have been really wanting to get out on some trails.

WJCO

Meme King
So I'm thinking we meet at the gas station in Lyons at 9am Saturday if that works for everyone. It's the gas station on the North side of the road pictured below. As of now, I don't know how much snow is up there, but per the weather report, it is saying that Saturday's temperatures will be in the high teens or low twenties but a clear day, so definitely bring cold weather gear. All 3 trails are around 8000-9000 elevation.

ll.jpg

lllllllll.jpg

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
So I just talked to the Forest Service. Taylor gate will be open until Monday, so that's good. Based on their most recent sources, the snow depth is between 12 and 20 inches. That should be a good trail for us to start on and go from there.

TOPLESS

Caught the Bug
Make sure you guys throw up plenty of pics for us poor souls who are stuck inside all day! Safe travels guys!!

Top Bottom