Light wheeling, possible snow, northern Colorado, 1/28

WJCO

Meme King

bigcale

Caught the Bug
Well, you did a hell of a job spotting us, guiding us, and helping us get unstuck. Thanks again for all the help today. And yes on the snow shovels, gotta have em.

More than happy to pass on what knowledge I have. I wish you all had a different first experience with snow wheeling. While we were getting beers and food afterwords both Jeff and Doug said this might be a one time only experience for them. To be honest the snow was not ideal, the crust on top was good but once you fell off the previous set of tracks it was just to difficult to get back on. It is just hard to plan around the snow conditions like that. I look at it similar you were saying about snow camping, for most it just takes time to refine your setup and gain experience.

WJCO

Meme King
More than happy to pass on what knowledge I have. I wish you all had a different first experience with snow wheeling. While we were getting beers and food afterwords both Jeff and Doug said this might be a one time only experience for them. To be honest the snow was not ideal, the crust on top was good but once you fell off the previous set of tracks it was just to difficult to get back on. It is just hard to plan around the snow conditions like that. I look at it similar you were saying about snow camping, for most it just takes time to refine your setup and gain experience.

Agreed. After today, I don't plan on doing snow that deep if I can avoid it. It was fun but challenging too. And as I said today, I really expected less snow based on being up there last January.

Slimebones

Was good meeting new people on this run. Need to do it again under more favorable conditions. Everyone worked together really well. Trudging through that snow and all that shoveling made for a long day for sure.

Slimebones

If you all have not seen Eddie's write-up on full circle ujoints, I would highly advise looking into it. After breaking the joint on the left side of axle, I decided to inspect the other side. Sure enough, one of the retaining clips was starting to come off! Good Spicer joints, but are the c-clip version. Need to upgrade to chrome-moly shafts with full circle clips. Any recommendations?

Slimebones

Dave's Coopers got around great. He only got stuck once and was able to pull me out with no trouble. Great traction. Would also like to mention that Jeff's Goodrich All Terrains got around better than my Mud t/a's

WJCO

Meme King
If you all have not seen Eddie's write-up on full circle ujoints, I would highly advise looking into it. After breaking the joint on the left side of axle, I decided to inspect the other side. Sure enough, one of the retaining clips was starting to come off! Good Spicer joints, but are the c-clip version. Need to upgrade to chrome-moly shafts with full circle clips. Any recommendations?

Thanks for posting this up, Doug. You said your ujoints weren't even that old. Goes to show the full circle clip really is the way to go. As far as chromoly, I'm running the Dynatrac ones. They're a little more, but I just had them do it while they were building my axle. I've heard good things about revolution and ten factory as well. Here's another thread that has a lot of good info:
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?41789-RCV-Axle-Shafts

This one too:
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?37030-Axle-shafts-for-37-s

How do you feel the coopers did compared to the mud t/a in the snow?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

I've run both. Coopers had much better traction IMO.

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug

Thanks for posting up. Immediately started looking for some rubi takeoff spares just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

gheller

Looks like good fun and getting out there is all that matters even if the conditions weren't ideal.

Wish there were trails around near me that I could hit up sometimes.

Had to laugh about those shovels. I just bought two of those exact ones in December and have one in my Jeep. Fits nicely between the roll bar and rear side window.

Sent from Earth to Space and back...can ya give it a second!? WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Looks like good fun and getting out there is all that matters even if the conditions weren't ideal.

Wish there were trails around near me that I could hit up sometimes.

Had to laugh about those shovels. I just bought two of those exact ones in December and have one in my Jeep. Fits nicely between the roll bar and rear side window.

Sent from Earth to Space and back...can ya give it a second!? WAYALIFE mobile app

I've probably got a good 50 hours of use with those shovels. They are awesome for the price. As long as you don't overload them and bend them, they'll last.

gheller

I've probably got a good 50 hours of use with those shovels. They are awesome for the price. As long as you don't overload them and bend them, they'll last.

Good to know. I figured they were cheap enough that I'd take a chance with them.

DeadHead

I'm in!

Good morning, Team! Good times this weekend. I just got logged in and don't have access to my photos from this work computer. I'll upload when I get a chance. Can't wait to get out and do this again with you all sometime. Hit me up if you need a partner!

- Jeff

WJCO

Meme King
Good morning, Team! Good times this weekend. I just got logged in and don't have access to my photos from this work computer. I'll upload when I get a chance. Can't wait to get out and do this again with you all sometime. Hit me up if you need a partner!

- Jeff

Welcome to Wayalife, Jeff. Thanks for heading out with us. Good times. I think you were the only one who didn't get stuck, lol.

Top Bottom