LOD Bolt On vs EOV Weld On Rock Sliders

SavageMonkey

Can someone please give me the rundown on Bolt On vs Weld On... Pros, cons, myths, truths... I'm planning on getting sliders next week and would appreciate advice on who runs what kind of setup and how well it has worked for them...

spinuck

I haven't tried the EVO sliders, but I do have the LoD and like them. They seem very durable, only have one dent in them after having drug them across numerous rocks. Only downside I can see is the small hex bolts that hold the inserts on. they stick out and the head of the bolts can get ground down, making it hard to remove the inserts. I would recommend them.

bkac

Caught the Bug
Ok, heres my thoughts, i have the LoDs, love the steps,they are solid and can be installed without welding. They're built really well.
Cons.. They hang up so easily with all the extra lips and bolts hanging down, I did the Rubicon last week and now I can't unbolt any of the hex bolts or the allen heads that are in them because they are all shaved down. So my opinion would be I would go with the Evo sliders for sure now that I've seen both and own LoDs. I can tell you I'll be upgrading to the EVO's soon and after I cut the bolts off to remove them. Lol
The LoDs did do an amazing job protecting the body from any body damage.
At least your comparing two great products. Both will do what they're intended to do.

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

pvanweelden

Irregardlessly- weld on is proven the strongest as long as the metal is quality American steel and the welder does a good job at getting good penetraction (giggidy)

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Honestly you can't go wrong with either of them. It comes down to looks. The LOD are bolt on but can be welded on for added strength. They also have a step.

Evo is all weld on so you know it's strong from the get go. Also you can order the evo sliders with a "custom angle" like I did to simulate a step.

Like I said before, both are really solid and prob the best on the market. You can't go wrong with quality products

MTG

Caught the Bug
... and now I can't unbolt any of the hex bolts or the allen heads that are in them because they are all shaved down. ...I can tell you I'll be upgrading to the EVO's soon

As soon as you can get them off? :idontknow: :cheesy:

Panda

But if you buy the LOD sliders don't look to long at jeep with EVO sliders because you will have slider envy :D

I have bolt on ACE sliders that did very well at the last RC trip. These happen to be mounted using the body mount bolts. Given where the mount they have a little bit of flex in them. I'm actually going to be changing these out to weld on EVO sliders with a custom angle like Steve or building my own weld on. The ACE sliders have been great and have provided me a fair amount of protection. However after the RC trip I decided that if I'm going to continue to do runs like that I need weld on sliders so I don't damage my body mounts. Nothing is damaged now and again they did awesome, but for piece of mind and a better track record I'm going with a weld on next.

Last edited:

Tdkrawler

What is this custom angled evo sliders, you speak of?
Anyone have a comparison between the two evo slider types?

JKWrang

The regular evo sliders tuck tight against the body. The custom angle sliders are angled out a bit so as to still offer significant and solid protection but provide a step for you and your passengers. Its really just a change in where the slider body, not the mounting points, sit in relation to the rocker panel but, IMO is just as solid.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
The regular evo sliders tuck tight against the body. The custom angle sliders are angled out a bit so as to still offer significant and solid protection but provide a step for you and your passengers. Its really just a change in where the slider body, not the mounting points, sit in relation to the rocker panel but, IMO is just as solid.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yup this ^^ if you take a look at my build I have the custom angle. If it wasn't raining I would go out an post up another pic

SavageMonkey

I appreciate all the input and as always it is excellent! I Googled this topic last night and a guy wrote that he has seen 2 rigs with weld on rails that took hard hits, came down square on an obstacle and he stated this caused bending of the frame or hairline stress cracks by the welds.

He prefaced this by pointing out that the weld job of the sliders to the frame may not have been done to the highest standards. I'm not sure if that makes a difference as I know nothing about welding.

I can say I'm leaning more towards the EVO Rails but what to have this issue with cracking addressed first, if anyone has some input.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I appreciate all the input and as always it is excellent! I Googled this topic last night and a guy wrote that he has seen 2 rigs with weld on rails that took hard hits, came down square on an obstacle and he stated this caused bending of the frame or hairline stress cracks by the welds.

He prefaced this by pointing out that the weld job of the sliders to the frame may not have been done to the highest standards. I'm not sure if that makes a difference as I know nothing about welding.

I can say I'm leaning more towards the EVO Rails but what to have this issue with cracking addressed first, if anyone has some input.

Sounds like just shitty welds. I have landed on mine a few times pretty hard and the welds still look brand new. You just need to find a good welder that knows what they are doing to make sure they are on there right

SavageMonkey

Sounds like just shitty welds. I have landed on mine a few times pretty hard and the welds still look brand new. You just need to find a good welder that knows what they are doing to make sure they are on there right

Ok... That pretty much seals it then... I don't like the idea of having bolts hanging down and getting caught on obstructions... I know a few quality welding shops in my area that can tackle the job... Thanks for the feedback... I just have to make sure I order the special flared out ones for the step.. Otherwise I'll have to get my kid a step ladder or milk crate to get in....

KingCopperhead

For reference sake, here's a pic of how far the NON custom angle stock out. It isn't much but my son uses it for a small step.

Attachments

• 1413031899004.jpg
    1413031899004.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 247

SavageMonkey

For reference sake, here's a pic of how far the NON custom angle stock out. It isn't much but my son uses it for a small step.

That's the ticket!!! Exactly what I need... I might even pop for the skins depending on final figures... Not looking forward to buying tires...
Nitto 37" Trail Grapplers

I have the LoD sliders and love them. Have not been on the rocks with them but the have saved Canvas from the swamps of Florida. Hoping to put them to use here in Texas.

I went with a weld nut insert instead of tapping into the frame. Also upgraded the bolts to grade 8. Cost a bit more but I feel was worth it.

R/
Will

Top Bottom