LOD Bolt On vs EOV Weld On Rock Sliders

jedg

I too am running LOD sliders on my JKU. They've been on the rocks several times and have only surface scratches. I did choose to weld mine on after I ran them with bolts for a bit.

bkac

Caught the Bug
I think the LoDs would be so much better if I just welded them on and cut the tabs of the bottom. Yep, just might be the way to go for me!

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rccrwlr

I think the LoDs would be so much better if I just welded them on and cut the tabs of the bottom. Yep, just might be the way to go for me!

Bad idea. Get the EVO like you want. Get them tilted for the wife and kids and sell the LoD to me!!

--rccrwlr.

bkac

Caught the Bug
That just might work too! :thumbup:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
For reference sake, here's a pic of how far the NON custom angle stock out. It isn't much but my son uses it for a small step.

That's the ticket!!! Exactly what I need... I might even pop for the skins depending on final figures... Not looking forward to buying tires...
Nitto 37" Trail Grapplers

and here is a shot of the angled sliders

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1384660327.558826.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1384660327.558826.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 214

bkac

Caught the Bug
We used sliders like this on the east coast to pivot around trees

I prefer how the LoDs stick out farther than the factory EVOs just for that reason to. It keeps the body off the rocks or whatever you're up against...

SavageMonkey

So cutting the tabs and welding the LoD sliders is an option? There won't be an issue with the integrity of the bracket? Would it not just be easier and give more support to weld the entire bracket (side and bottom) to the frame?

If this is a viable option I may have to rethink the EVO sliders as I am going with the LoD front bumper and rear tire carrier and like the idea of keeping things as uniformed as possible.

bkac

Caught the Bug
I would say it will work fine. I might give that a shot myself. There's only 2 tabs on the bottom per side.

I would say it will work fine. I might give that a shot myself. There's only 2 tabs on the bottom per side.

O come on you no you would rather have the Evo sliders. I love mine and would highly recommend them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using WAYALIFE mobile app

SavageMonkey

In the grand scheme of off road fun these seem like two amazing companies who put out quality products otherwise they would not be Advertising Partners on WAL! I'm guessing either one would be an exceptional purchase. Now I have confirmation that I can weld the LoD Sliders; for me that is the way to go.

I say this because:

1. I am getting the LoD front bumper and rear Bumper Tire Carrier combo and I like uniformity.
2. While EOV puts out an exceptional product, it is bare metal and I don't want to go through the extra step of taking it to get power coated.
3. The LoD Sliders can be welded to the frame just as the EVO's can as discussed in the previous comments.

I will be ordering soon and will keep everyone posted on my build thread...

GCM 2

2. While EOV puts out an exceptional product, it is bare metal and I don't want to go through the extra step of taking it to get power coated.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the LoD sliders, they have always been a great heavy duty choice for those wanting a true step built into a slider, or for those wanting to stick with a "one mfg's parts theme" during their build, since they do make great looking and completely functional heavy duty bumpers too. However, regarding your #2 bullet statement, there is no reason to powder coat EVO's sliders if your budget is tight. Many people just prep, prime and spray paint them at home. Its actually a great option to consider doing yourself since sliders are an intended sacrificial piece of armor on your rig that will become scraped when used in any terrain. Once there is superficial paint damage, you just do the touch ups yourself as a part of regular jeep maintenance.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Absolutely nothing wrong with the LoD sliders, they have always been a great heavy duty choice for those wanting a true step built into a slider, or for those wanting to stick with a "one mfg's parts theme" during their build, since they do make great looking and completely functional heavy duty bumpers too. However, regarding your #2 bullet statement, there is no reason to powder coat EVO's sliders if your budget is tight. Many people just prep, prime and spray paint them at home. Its actually a great option to consider doing yourself since sliders are an intended sacrificial piece of armor on your rig that will become scraped when used in any terrain. Once there is superficial paint damage, you just do the touch ups yourself as a part of regular jeep maintenance.

This ^^^ I hit mine up with frame paint on a regular basis and would recommend it over powder coat regardless of what you go with.

bkac

Caught the Bug
Paint actually works better then powdercoating for the sliders because the powdercoating is thicker and when you touch them up with a rattle can it leaves deep marks where the powdercoating got scraped off by the rocks. I touched up my LoDs yesterday. I guess the good thing about the LoDs not being welded is one can take then off, get them sandblasted, repaint them, and put them back on. That's if one can get the shaved bolts out to take them off...

Top Bottom