LONG ROAD TO THE HAMMERS : A Behind the Scene Look of the 2013 King at the Hammers

seanb123

coilovers?

i saw on another thread that the tj wasnt running coilovers. But when i look at the tj its coil over shocks, isnt that a coilover? I'm not trying to be an ass, i'm just wonder why they arn't considered coilovers.

cj2jk

Great Film Great Team Effort!!!!!!!

Next Year will be Mels Year, Great job filming can't wait for the next release.

i saw on another thread that the tj wasnt running coilovers. But when i look at the tj its coil over shocks, isnt that a coilover? I'm not trying to be an ass, i'm just wonder why they arn't considered coilovers.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks guys. Normally, a video this long would take us several weeks to complete and we did it in about 5 days. We were running ragged by the time we released it and weren't sure if or how you all would receive it. We're so happy that you like it. :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

A coil over specifically is a single unit with a shock with coil or coils attached to it. What you see on the EVO TJ are a pair of coils attached to the frame with a separate shock attached to the frame as well that just happens to pass through the center of the coils. There is a difference and the prior has its advantages.

MikeD

Hard to believe how far this race has come in just a few years! Awesome vid, funny how it feels like you know some of the people after watching the vids for years now and forget you've never met!

seanb123

A coil over specifically is a single unit with a shock with coil or coils attached to it. What you see on the EVO TJ are a pair of coils attached to the frame with a separate shock attached to the frame as well that just happens to pass through the center of the coils. There is a difference and the prior has its advantages.

ahha thanks eddy makes things clearer. What types of advantages would there be from a separate coil and shock?

FallonJeeper

Hmm... Now to think on what it would take to qualify... I feel a 5 year plan in the works!

The qualifying races start right after KOH. Starting with:
April 5th-7th
MetalCloak Nor Cal Stampede
Prairie City SVRA, Rancho Cordova, CA

Each race has a set number of qualifying slots. Drivers who have not yet qualified and place within the top so many non qualified positions, will be qualified for the KOH.

The last options are to participate in the last chance qualifiers. These are held a couple days before the KOH race. In the 2012 KOH all last chance qualifiers who finished, were allowed to race in the KOH. This year it was limited to the top 15 last chance qualifier finishers.

Or... if you have lots of money and fame, you can buy your way in.

Last edited:

Chiromancer

Long Road to the Hammers - A Behind the Scene Look of the 2013 King at the Hammers

The qualifying races start right after KOH. Starting with:
April 5th-7th
MetalCloak Nor Cal Stampede
Prairie City SVRA, Rancho Cordova, CA

Each race has a set number of qualifying slots. Drivers who have not yet qualified and place within the top so many non qualified positions, will be qualified for the KOH.

The last options are to participate in the last chance qualifiers. These are held a couple days before the KOH race. In the 2012 KOH all last chance qualifiers who finished, were allowed to race in the KOH. This year it was limited to the top 15 last chance qualifier finishers.

Or... if you have lots of money and fame, you can buy your way in.

Lacking lots of money and fame right now... But that's what 5 year plans are for... So far, I got the Jeep and a good paying job, the rest will just fall into place as the time passes:-D

Yeahright

Eddie and Cindy,
Yet again you guys cease to amaze, this had me captivated from beguining to end, not only have you produced a awesome movie, you have imortalised the whole event and the people involved in it, for millions of people to enjoy.
You guys have me envious, and I cant wait to see more of your adventures. If it was easy for Aussies to come and live in the US I would be on the first plane over there. Thanks again, and keep them coming.

Luke

Last edited:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Long Road to the Hammers - A Behind the Scene Look of the 2013 King at the Hammers

Another spectacular production. Thanks! I have to say every time you release a video I think, "how can they possibly top the last one?" but you do it every single time! Congrats.

Tackerdown

Banned
Re: Long Road to the Hammers -

Trying to get an idea on the woops. Mel drives over them and it almost looks like the jeep is just floating , just how slow would a stock jeep have to go or what would happens if it went that fast?

Sent from my PC36100 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
ahha thanks eddy makes things clearer. What types of advantages would there be from a separate coil and shock?

A standard coil needs to have spring perches positioned in a way that that the coil is optimally seated at ride height. As your axles articulate, your coils will bow, twist, catch on things and even potentially fall out of their perches if your shocks are too long or if you're not running a limiting strap. By integrating the coils onto the shock and having the whole unit attached to the frame at one at the frame and one point at the axle and both points using a heim, the coils will always follow the shock and perform just as effectively regardless of the position they are in.

Eddie and Cindy,
Yet again you guys cease to amaze, this had me captivated from beguining to end, not only have you produced a awesome movie, you have imortalised the whole event and the people involved in it, for millions of people to enjoy.
You guys have me envious, and I cant wait to see more of your adventures. If it was easy for Aussies to come and live in the US I would be on the first plane over there. Thanks again, and keep them coming.

Luke

Another spectacular production. Thanks! I have to say every time you release a video I think, "how can they possibly top the last one?" but you do it every single time! Congrats.

Thanks guys, we really appreciate it and are so glad you enjoy our films :)

Trying to get an idea on the woops. Mel drives over them and it almost looks like the jeep is just floating , just how slow would a stock jeep have to go or what would happens if it went that fast?

On the big whoops, maybe 5-10 MPH. By the way, EVO 1 is just running an off the shelf Double Throw Down system. :yup:

GCM 2

This is where long suspension travel comes in, the more travel you have, the faster you can go in deep stuff. A stock jeep only has a couple of inches of travel so it is forced to go slow, if you try to run fast the stock suspension bottoms out and tops out quickly creating a very harsh ride. You actually can run just as fast across deep whoops in a stock jeep, but it will tear the rig apart quickly and injure the passengers probably faster. However, going slow through deep whoops and ruts in any rig, stock or race, is like being on a little roller coaster for the passengers that is absolutely no fun, it's slow and painful:icon_crazy: With a long travel race car, the faster you go the more the suspension is allowed to work at is job of falling into the deep holes and then compressing up, which makes the body of the vehicle remain a level/stable platform. So if you have around 14-16" of usable travel like EVO1, and 12-14" of usable travel on EVO TJ, you can attack whoops at speeds that would destroy a stock rig. Another example is a Baja 1000 Trophy Truck, these have around 28-30" of travel up front and about 32-36" in rear. This is why Trophy Trucks can hit the same stuff at 120mph, that we were hitting in the KOH at 60+mph (EVO TJ) and 75-90+mph (EVO1). Also you will notice the Independent Front Suspension race cars handle the open desert much faster than a Solid Front Axle car. Two more things that many people don't know that makes this kind of high speeds safe and possible are the 5 point race harnesses we wear, and the suspension race seats. The seats in EVO TJ are the same Mastercraft Baja RS seats my EVOJEEP, Moby, and a ton of other rigs are running in our daily drivers, they're good but not nearly as good as the full blown Mastercraft 3G's that most of the Unlimited class cars like EVO1 were running. The 3G is insanely comfortable!

Hope this was somewhat understandable :doh:

G

Tackerdown

Banned
1361115694924.jpg
Understood, explained very well thank you both. This is my race car although it hasn't been out in a while. I should probably sell it and get a skid plate.

GCM 2

View attachment 16069
Understood, explained very well thank you both. This is my race car although it hasn't been out in a while. I should probably sell it and get a skid plate.

Nice race car! I was checking out the Axial booth at King of the Hammers and I was sooooo close to dropping some cash on an RC. Need to limit my side hobbies :icon_crazy:

Tackerdown

Banned
Behind the Scene Look of the 2013 King at the Hammers

Nice race car! I was checking out the Axial booth at King of the Hammers and I was sooooo close to dropping some cash on an RC. Need to limit my side hobbies :icon_crazy:

Thanks, It's a blast, it was my midlife crisis that never took off. I just couldn't get the time with several tracks near by. We even put a track out back. It is amazing at how you can set these things up to shave a little time off though.

MTG

Caught the Bug

I was eyeing those too! Was hoping to have time to drive one at that little track, but never made it back there.

Tackerdown

Banned
A Behind the Scene Look of the 2013 King at the Hammers

Hmm maybe I should put it up for sale here. :D

FallonJeeper

Lacking lots of money and fame right now... But that's what 5 year plans are for... So far, I got the Jeep and a good paying job, the rest will just fall into place as the time passes:-D

Every Man Challenge is another option. That only takes a vehicle that falls into one of their classes and an entry fee.

Top Bottom