LS or HEMI?

CarsonCindy

Administrator
Staff member
Just curious to see what the consensus would be here. If you had the choice, would you run an LS or a HEMI? What say you?

hemivsls.jpg

TheDuff

Hemi, I don't like to mix manufacturer's when it comes to engine swaps:)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

GCM 2

Hemi if you want to do a swap and leave it alone. LS if you want to be special (in a JK anyways) and want to have the absolute greatest choice of performance engine add-ons in the entire market place of horsepower.

I keep leaning back towards the LS3 at a minimum (430hp stock), but really want an LS7 dry sump or an LSX 454 (both of these could have as much horsepower potential as you absolutely ever wanted)

Attachments

• image-2791984018.jpg
    image-2791984018.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 389
Last edited:

Beyrgut

Growing up around Chevy I am biased to the LS but I wouldn't turn down a Hemi either. Hell the JK is one of 3 automobiles I have ever owned that wasn't a Chevy.

Skid_Kid

I would go HEMI just for it being Mopar on Mopar.

I am guessing this has to do with Plan B for Moby?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I have to agree with GCM2. Having grown up with GM rigs, I've always wanted to drop a 454 into something smaller than a Suburban or full-size pickup. A buddy of mine put a 454 in his K-5 in high school and man, was that thing fun to drive. Can't say I have ever driven an LSx454, but I can only imagine what it would be like.

Getting back down to reality, I think it would come down to what I could do and (1) remain street legal; (2) not throw computer codes; (3) not overheat; and (4) get the best mix of power and range for the buck (more heavily weighted to the power side of course).

Last edited:

GCM 2

I have to agree with GCM2. Having grown up with GM rigs, I've always wanted to drop a 454 into something smaller than a Suburban or full-size pickup. A buddy of mine put a 454 in his K-5 in high school and man, was that thing fun to drive. Can't say I have ever driven an LSx454, but I can only imagine what it would be like.

Getting back down to reality, I think it would come down to what I could do and (1) remain street legal; (2) not throw computer codes; (3) not overheat; and (4) get the best mix of power and range for the buck (more heavily weighted to the power side of course).

Sharkey, just remember that this LSX 454 is a small block, bored and stroked. It's not the ultra-cool old school Big Block 454, there would never be enough room in the JK's engine bay :icon_crazy: As far as street legal, that may differ from state to state. Throwing codes is a thing of the past, you just end up running what is basically two seperate computers; one (GM) for only engine, one (Mopar) for the rest of the vehicle. Not overheating is just not skimping on a radiator, go bigger.

Realistically, the 6.1L/6.4L Hemi is pretty badass too, and anything over 400hp like these offer stock is more than enough. I surely wouldn't turn one down if it was a low mileage junkyard pulled motor.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Sharkey, just remember that this LSX 454 is a small block, bored and stroked. It's not the ultra-cool old school Big Block 454, there would never be enough room in the JK's engine bay :icon_crazy: As far as street legal, that may differ from state to state. Throwing codes is a thing of the past, you just end up running what is basically two seperate computers; one (GM) for only engine, one (Mopar) for the rest of the vehicle. Not overheating is just not skimping on a radiator, go bigger.

Realistically, the 6.1L/6.4L Hemi is pretty badass too, and anything over 400hp like these offer stock is more than enough. I surely wouldn't turn one down if it was a low mileage junkyard pulled motor.

Fair points across the board. I haven't looked at GM motors in a long time, and you are spot on that I was talking about a Big Block 454 in my buddy's K-5. That motor would roast his 35x12.5 BFG Mud Terrains on the street like their was no tomorrow. ;) His family had big money, which meant he had big toys. For his 16th B-day he got the BB454 K-5, a matching BB454 Ski Nautique (both had custom paint), and a BMW M-3. Not bad for a sweet 16, eh? :crazy eyes:

Indefatigable

My own money, it would be the LS. Not as common as a Hemi swap, but probably better overall long term - in my neck of the woods anyways.

If I really wanted to be different, I would go diesel or put a Ford V8 in.

Final answer = diesel :thumb:

rtguy1

LS for the win! Hemi's are easy to come by though. Just saw one on eBay for 4k with tranny and only 3k miles.

Philip *AZ*

Banned
I would go LS. I plan on the swap in the future anyway. Mo Tech (www.lswrangler.com) makes a kit that is designed to make the LS computer play nice with the JK CANBUS. You will never throw codes, CANBUS recognizes the LS as stock. Plus you can use many of the original JK parts. A big plus with the LS is the aftermarket parts availability, it is huge. With the LS you most likely get better gas mileage over a Hemi (guesstimate 25-27mpg with the LS). The Hemi takes up the entire engine bay as well. The LS will look like it belongs in there, plus you would have room for a couple extra goodies. The LS will take a bit more work fitting it in the bay, but the final payout is key. I could keep rambling on with this. Ultimately in the end, there are going to be more factors that you and Eddie are looking at before making your choice.
Personally, I would like to see you two get a new JK and get it hooked up with a Prodigy turbo charger kit with the 12psi add on. V8's are great, but the cost versus what youre getting can be hard to swallow. An LS/Hemi swap, you are easily looking at $20k if not more. I think that might be a bit lower if EVO helps you out, but it is still going to be a high dollar build.
Either way. Good luck to you both, we are all looking forward to seeing what your final decision may be.:thumb:

Top Bottom