LS swap into a 97 TJ

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
A lot of wrapping and taping today. I'm trying to get the under hood all done except for wiring up the electric fan and running wires to the interior of the Jeep. Using liquid electrical tape has been a lifesaver for a lot of my Spade connectors, and keeping them attached. I have the driver side all finished the passenger side needs a little bit of work and it looks like I'll be able to run the vortec cover on the top of the engine. IMG_20180904_130135%7E2.jpg IMG_20180904_130140%7E2.jpg IMG_20180904_142716%7E2.jpg IMG_20180904_142722%7E2.jpg IMG_20180904_142726%7E2.jpg

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
The transfer case is in! I have to of course now need to remember to fill with fluid before I start the engine like I usually do so I have to transfer the drain plugs for my old one since the new one came without plugs. Also letting the gasket between the transfer case and transmission cure for the next couple hours. Fun fact my front stock driveshaft fits perfect so I will be able to use that and will only have to need a rear drive shaft made. Running to napa now for some new U-joint straps. if all goes well then after my meeting tonight I should be able to back of that baby out of the shop.

BaddestCross

The transfer case is in! I have to of course now need to remember to fill with fluid before I start the engine like I usually do so I have to transfer the drain plugs for my old one since the new one came without plugs. Also letting the gasket between the transfer case and transmission cure for the next couple hours. Fun fact my front stock driveshaft fits perfect so I will be able to use that and will only have to need a rear drive shaft made. Running to napa now for some new U-joint straps. if all goes well then after my meeting tonight I should be able to back of that baby out of the shop.

Awesome! Looking forward to a video of the first time moving under it's own power. 👍

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
🙄🙄 I jacked up the transfer case somehow... I know the transmission is engaging because I saw that the rear shaft was moving before I put on the transfer case. With the transfer case on there is no movement from either yoke so that's fantastic. It's weird to me because before I did the final assembly I checked the gear selector and it seemed to work fine. It looks like the transfer case is sitting in neutral no matter what. I'll pull that heavy bastard down tomorrow and check it again.

WJCO

Meme King
🙄🙄 I jacked up the transfer case somehow... I know the transmission is engaging because I saw that the rear shaft was moving before I put on the transfer case. With the transfer case on there is no movement from either yoke so that's fantastic. It's weird to me because before I did the final assembly I checked the gear selector and it seemed to work fine. It looks like the transfer case is sitting in neutral no matter what. I'll pull that heavy bastard down tomorrow and check it again.

That sucks. Did the tcase come with that power train or is it custom? Are you sure the linkage is hooked up correctly?

jdofmemi

Maybe something just came loose and it will be a simple fix.
I will be hoping for you to have an easy fix

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
Not a lot of updates for me because I honestly haven't even touched it. Just a little frustrated that I'm going to have to drive that transfer case down and crack it open again. May get to it tonight but chances are it's probably going to have to wait until Thursday.

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
So I did some work over the past couple months and put the old transfer case in and ran that without the drive shaft to see if that was the grinding that have been the culprit with my TJ long before last September. To my surprise it wasn't but when I put the drive shaft in the grinding came back. To me that would sound like the grinding noise coming from the rear axle which would suck because I don't have the time to swap in the Ford 8 inch I have. Here's what I found, the driver side brake shoe disintegrated out of the axle as soon as I took the drum off. I ran the Jeep and cycledt all the way up through 5th gear on jack stands and what had previously produced a grinding was now silent.. My problem and the reason why I parked it and started the swap when I was ill prepared to do so what's something as simple as a brake shoe falling apart and I for some reason did not have the wisdom to check something as simple as that. This means I get to daintily ride around with a Dana 35 behind a V8. Legally the only thing I need now is an exhaust system built and this thing is good to go. No guages or anything but psshh who needs those.

Top Bottom