My Mall Crawler Build

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Just picked up a slightly used Rigid E2 10" light bar (driving light pattern) to replace the one I have on the front bumper now. I'm interested in doing some comparisons of light output and beam patterns to compare your generic light bar to Rigid. Let's see if the name warrants the extra $$$.

I may end up putting my old light bar on the wife's car too just for the hell of it. We'll see. Hoping to get this install done this weekend. Pics to follow! :thumb:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Yup new drag link flip and ball joints. Gotta get this steering tightened up.

Nice! You won't be disappointed! The only thing I can suggest is if you go with the cheap Chinese 13/16" bit, DO NOT let the drill catch. It will bend the bit...

"Ask me how I know..." lmao

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Nice! You won't be disappointed! The only thing I can suggest is if you go with the cheap Chinese 13/16" bit, DO NOT let the drill catch. It will bend the bit...

"Ask me how I know..." lmao

That sounds painful. Since I don't have a ball joint press and I want the trackbar bracket welded on, I'm going to have a local shop do it all for me. Did you find that you needed the full 3" of bump stop in the front or could you run less?

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
That sounds painful. Since I don't have a ball joint press and I want the trackbar bracket welded on, I'm going to have a local shop do it all for me. Did you find that you needed the full 3" of bump stop in the front or could you run less?

I havent actually had a chance to flex out the jeep yet :doh: Been stuck on pavement. and because of it, I have been lazy and been putting off cutting the fenders :naw: So, in short... Don't know.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Here's the drag link, track bar bracket and ball joints all installed.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456776409.602887.jpg

I think I need some shorter sway link bars now! [emoji13]

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Here's the drag link, track bar bracket and ball joints all installed.

View attachment 190766

I think I need some shorter sway link bars now! [emoji13]

Its also interesting to see you also decided not to raise the factory steering dampener :yup: I didn't mess with mine either. While the relocation will pick it up higher, I dont feel being ABOVE the track bar is significantly better than behind the track bar... :thumb: Jeep looks good!

Yeah, your sway bar links look a little long. :crazyeyes:

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Just pulled the trigger on a new Bestop Trektop NX twill! Should be here early next week! :rock:

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Also forgot to mention I got these Delrin door hinge liners from TMR Customs. Had I known that Quadratec offers the exact same thing for half the price, I would have got those instead. Either way, the doors slide off so much easier now. I don't know why Jeep couldn't use these as stock parts!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1461099169.940274.jpg

KingCopperhead

That's awesome George! How was the install?

Being that mine is a 2 door I have a little less hardware than you will, but overall not awful. The hardware side of it is very simple.

Getting it all buttoned up takes some patience though. It was 70 and sunny here in NY yesterday and I had to run the jeep with the heat on full blast for over an hour before I could get the header bar latched onto the footman loops.

Also, find the Bestop install video on YouTube and watch it. They show how to get the back window on the right way (you kind of pull everything up and together, and just barely zip the window to the side panels. If you don't do it this way, you'll have a 1 or 2 inch gap on each side and won't even be able to get the windows to connect.

I shit you not, I though I'd gotten ripped off when I first tried to put the rear window on. (I bought my top new in box In a private sale)

Other than that it really wasn't difficult. I'm not very patient so some curse words may have been said. But it looks awesome. After sitting in the sun all day today all the zippers are easy to manipulate. I'm going to leave it on for a week or so to let it settle in then enjoy a naked day.

You going to be at Rausch at all this summer?

Attachments

• 1461099323598.jpg
    1461099323598.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 321

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Not the best pictures of the new top, but I installed this as the sun was waning so these were the first I could get the next day. I'll get some better quality pics posted soon.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1461932428.337758.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1461932446.184585.jpg

Top Bottom