My Mall Crawler Build

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
In terms of install, this was pretty easy. Other than some sockets and wrenches, all you need is a caliper piston spreader to reset those. By the time I got to the 3rd wheel, those slabs really started getting heavy! :whew:

I will admit I made one stupid mistake of leaving my parking brake on when I was trying to get my rear rotor off. Took a few bfh whacks and a minute of head scratching to remedy that problem. :doh:

Now, for a review. First impressions were great! I just got used to using 75-90% of pedal throw to come to a stop. Right away you notice how much less pedal throw and effort it takes to get brake feel. I don't use more than 50-60% of throw to come to a complete stop. It's reassuring to know that there's still plenty of brake left in case of emergency. It honestly feels like I have stock tires back on, it stops that quick and easily.

Since I haven't had to hammer the brakes yet, I can't say how that feels. I'm hoping the rear end feels planted and stable. I'll update this once I get a chance to test that.

Well done Dynatrac! :thumb:

Nice to see! While I missed out on the sale, I will be ordering mine in the next few weeks/months. awesome to hear another positive review. :thumb: and good call on the locktite & Grease!

Spartan65USMC

I love them. Good road manners and they do well with rain. I haven't had a chance to use them on snow, but that may not matter in your part of the country. They're very quiet considering the tread pattern.

I do most of my driving on road commuting to work so I've considered going to something like the Ridge Grappler when it comes time to do it again, but they've done really well off-road too so I'm not sure. That's not a knock on their performance, I just may get more miles out of a milder tread pattern.

Thank you,

I might still need a little more review about snow. I live here at 7500 feet above sea level and to hit the San Juan River during winter I'll need to have decent tread pattern for those situations.

Did you fabricate the spare tire holder?
The EVO fascia is next on my list is why I'm asking.

Great Rig by the way.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Thank you,

I might still need a little more review about snow. I live here at 7500 feet above sea level and to hit the San Juan River during winter I'll need to have decent tread pattern for those situations.

Did you fabricate the spare tire holder?
The EVO fascia is next on my list is why I'm asking.

Great Rig by the way.

Thank you sir. The rear carrier is an AEV one which bolts to the frame rail. I've had the Evo fascia for awhile and I always liked the idea of marrying the two together. I saw another thread here where someone had done it and that sealed the deal. I ended up cutting a corner out of the fascia with a jigsaw and it came out really clean.

If your tires are going to see on-road snow a good bit, you might take a look at the Exo Grappler line from Nitto. It's not as hardcore for offroad as the Trail Grappler, but I'd sacrifice some road safety for off-road traction if I was on roads more than off.

Spartan65USMC

Thank you sir. The rear carrier is an AEV one which bolts to the frame rail. I've had the Evo fascia for awhile and I always liked the idea of marrying the two together. I saw another thread here where someone had done it and that sealed the deal. I ended up cutting a corner out of the fascia with a jigsaw and it came out really clean.

If your tires are going to see on-road snow a good bit, you might take a look at the Exo Grappler line from Nitto. It's not as hardcore for offroad as the Trail Grappler, but I'd sacrifice some road safety for off-road traction if I was on roads more than off.

Thanks Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Evo aluminum rock skins are on the way! Hopefully in a few months, I can pony up for the Evo sliders as well. That should round out all the armor needs except for maybe relocating the EVAP system up over the rear axle.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Website says off road use only, any issues? Where did you buy them.

Laws, at least in the US, vary state to state. In mine, it doesn't specifically say that you can't use beadlocks. I've had them for over 2 years and never been bothered. They do require some maintenance, like checking the torque on the bolts, but I've never had any issues with them. The most inconvenient part is that very few, if any, shops will mount tires for you so you'll need to do that yourself. It's not hard and you don't need any special tools other than a torque wrench, but it takes a few hours to mount a new set of tires.

I bought mine through Off Road Evolution in California back when they had a buy 4, get 1 free special. I did see this promo running around Christmas time, but it's not as common as it used to be. The deal with beadlocks is, you want to find the sturdiest outer ring you can that also protects the bolt heads and really thick bolts. Seems like so many use thinner material and have exposed bolt heads that get chewed up. ATX (or as it's known now, KMC) have ridiculously thick aluminum rings and the bolts are really thick and recessed. If they're good enough for King of the Hammers, they're good enough for me.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Rock skins test fitted, nutserts installed and skins are off for powder! New pics to come once I get those back and reinstalled. :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you sir! I really couldn't have gotten to this point without all the inspiration and advice I've gotten from your forum and all it's great members.

Well, I'm glad to hear the forum has been helpful to you. It's always fun see Jeeps like yours get built up :yup:

Top Bottom