My own JK 'Big Brake' research:

interesting

so waiting with patience until the secrets get revealed.....

From a jk guy in the Dominican Republic with some brake problems...

2012 jku / 37"

So I think I have found the magic combination :)

And I have an additional option, for those interested, in a unique twist that will surely turn heads and add performance...

On a separate note, I mentioned last week about doing some baseline testing on my JK with the ABS disabled, and comparing with a friend's much heavier vehicle on 35s, with the ABS disabled on that vehicle. All I can say is OMG. :shock:

The Jeep brakes, on stock Rubi wheels and tires, were barely able to chirp the tires to a stop once, maybe twice, from about 35mph. After that, the brake fade was terrible. I could barely lock the rear tires with no ABS. And for anyone interested, these were 'panic braking' scenarios. Trialed from various speeds up to 70mph. Hard enough that I made the bolts on the front axle pinion yoke contact my RockHard 4x4 skid plate mounting brace next to the oil pan. That makes an odd noise, btw :) And after 2 stops from maybe 35-40 mph, the stopping distances horrendously increased. The pedal feel didn't change, so I don't think it was due to localized brake fluid boiling within the caliper cylinder. I think it was simply overheating the pads and rotors. Thus the need for more heat dissipating capacity.

The comparison vehicle, which weighs 1700 lbs more than my Rubi, and rides on 35s, with 4 piston OEM front calipers, repeatedly locked all 4 tires, over and over and over. I had them hot, and wheels COVERED with brake dust, and it just kept asking for more. Oh, and that vehicle has a SMALLER master cylinder than our JKs. (Which helps to assure compatibility with our rigs) And the rear calipers are the SAME piston size as ours (but the rotors are much bigger), for what that's worth.

We've got this locked down. I have spent more money and have new test calipers and a rotor with a new offset on order, to be delivered any day now. Please stay tuned. It will be worth it. I wouldn't keep spending my hard-earned money if I didn't think I could make it happen ;)

Last edited:
And just to head off at the pass any criticisms of my 'test methodology'...

I know that my testing of these rigs side by side is SO informal. I just wanted a very, very rough idea of what a better-designed factory setup is capable of. And also within the realm of OEM master cylinder sizes. I know that we are unlikely to be doing repeated panic-braking situations in our Jeeps. I just wanted to see the limitations of the OEM setup and how much 'pushing' it took to get to those limits. So...please... just take that really rough test scenario as simply a reassurance that much, much better is easily possible. :thumb:

And I have an additional option, for those interested, in a unique twist that will surely turn heads and add performance...

On a separate note, I mentioned last week about doing some baseline testing on my JK with the ABS disabled, and comparing with a friend's much heavier vehicle on 35s, with the ABS disabled on that vehicle. All I can say is OMG. :shock:

The Jeep brakes, on stock Rubi wheels and tires, were barely able to chirp the tires to a stop once, maybe twice, from about 35mph. After that, the brake fade was terrible. I could barely lock the rear tires with no ABS. And for anyone interested, these were 'panic braking' scenarios. Trialed from various speeds up to 70mph. Hard enough that I made the bolts on the front axle pinion yoke contact my RockHard 4x4 skid plate mounting brace next to the oil pan. That makes an odd noise, btw :) And after 2 stops from maybe 35-40 mph, the stopping distances horrendously increased. The pedal feel didn't change, so I don't think it was due to localized brake fluid boiling within the caliper cylinder. I think it was simply overheating the pads and rotors. Thus the need for more heat dissipating capacity.

The comparison vehicle, which weighs 1700 lbs more than my Rubi, and rides on 35s, with 4 piston OEM front calipers, repeatedly locked all 4 tires, over and over and over. I had them hot, and wheels COVERED with brake dust, and it just kept asking for more. Oh, and that vehicle has a SMALLER master cylinder than our JKs. (Which helps to assure compatibility with our rigs) And the rear calipers are the SAME piston size as ours (but the rotors are much bigger), for what that's worth.

We've got this locked down. I have spent more money and have new test calipers and a rotor with a new offset on order, to be delivered any day now. Please stay tuned. It will be worth it. I wouldn't keep spending my hard-earned money if I didn't think I could make it happen ;)

So excited to see that we are close!!!! I just lifted the Sahara and got 35's going on this week. And with just the lift I can tell the braking difference. So I need this soon! Like I said before, I can order parts and do test fits if you need a second unbiased test. Let be know brother!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

what's the twist!! ohh the humanity!!! so cool you're getting ready unveil :rock:

I'm so tempted to spoil the surprise on the "optional upgrade" part. OK...how about a clue?

Clue: think about Unimogs... (some of them, anyways...)

And BTW, although the upgrade will have a cool factor to it, it actually will serve a good purpose...

An auxillary braking system maybe? Such as compression or trans brake (if there is such an animal), I know rockwells have a diff brake but I dont know a lot about what mogs have.

We are Jeep..Resistance is futile..

An auxillary braking system maybe? Such as compression or trans brake (if there is such an animal), I know rockwells have a diff brake but I dont know a lot about what mogs have.

You should wipe the drool off your face Lee~~~:cheesy:

Ah come on, a guy can't dream ? Lol, I like to dream big.

Nothing wrong with that!

No, it's not an auxiliary braking system, or a pinion brake (although I've thought heavily about a pinion-mounted e-brake conversion). It is much simpler...

Has anybody had any problems or complaints about the teraflex big brake kit??

It was on my Heep when I got it, calipers and slotted rotors and so far it seems to be working great.

I had to stand on them a couple weeks ago to keep from making a Honda a hood ornament and it made 37's howl. Kinda surprised me how good they did. Made the lady in front of me realize what she did.... I mean c'mon, how do you NOT see a huge BRIGHT RED in the lane next to you??

Has anybody had any problems or complaints about the teraflex big brake kit??

It was on my Heep when I got it, calipers and slotted rotors and so far it seems to be working great.

I had to stand on them a couple weeks ago to keep from making a Honda a hood ornament and it made 37's howl. Kinda surprised me how good they did. Made the lady in front of me realize what she did.... I mean c'mon, how do you NOT see a huge BRIGHT RED in the lane next to you??

Same way an old Geezer looked dead at me before jumping out in front of a 65mph Jeep, after actually seeing the 2 motorcycles he let pass first. Selective vision I tell ya.:D

Top Bottom