My own JK 'Big Brake' research:

Jeez , you guys don't know when someone is kidding or being sarcastic - I love the idea of heavier brake upgrades
We all know that the jeeps lack in this department , especially those of us that trail ride or rock crawl . I was poking fun at the factory jeep braking system - when someone told me to leave because they got offended . It's not my fault they don't realize humor when they see it . The upgrades that are out there are great , some more expensive than others . And if you are handy enough to be able to make and modify your own then hats off too ya , wish I could !

Damn what's with the hostility take that crap to another thread or another forum rather. Keep this thread on topic.

Yeah. Ouch. I saw two new pages on my thread and I thought "Great! New discussion!!". I was sadly disappointed. Sense of humor is awesome. Life needs more of it. But lets just be sure everyone knows when you're joking :thumb:

I don't wear my feelings on my sleeve , I save that for mud , grease and sweat .
So if I offended someone I apologize lets move on - oh by the way Awesome original thread ! 👍 OIIIIO

I don't wear my feelings on my sleeve , I save that for mud , grease and sweat .
So if I offended someone I apologize lets move on - oh by the way Awesome original thread ! ddc4d OIIIIO

No offense man, I don't know you from Adam. However all the post before this one, Contradicts everything you said in this statement.

Please let's keep it on the subject at hand.

Hey...just curious if anyone here happens to know someone very knowledgable on custom brakes and possibly willing to talk with me on the phone? I have a few very detailed questions regarding the master cylinder selection and I figured I would check incase someone had a contact person in their pocket :)

Hey...just curious if anyone here happens to know someone very knowledgable on custom brakes and possibly willing to talk with me on the phone? I have a few very detailed questions regarding the master cylinder selection and I figured I would check incase someone had a contact person in their pocket :)

You are my very knowledgable person lol. According to all the way over my head stuff you have been putting on here.

You are my very knowledgable person lol. According to all the way over my head stuff you have been putting on here.

Lol. I post only what I am certain of. I just know my limitations :) Just a few minor details I wanted to ask... more of a curiosity :) Thanks for the vote of confidence though!!

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...brakes.com/&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_137200665115910

ask for Blaine. Been told he is the formost expert on JK brakes. :standing wave:

Thanks!! BTW love the pics of you working with your kids on your build thread. Exactly like what I do with them... I have hundreds of 'kids with tools' pics I have cherished. Shoulda done my own build thread!! Keep up the great work. I follow yours as well and the similarities to our build are many...

Thanks!! BTW love the pics of you working with your kids on your build thread. Exactly like what I do with them... I have hundreds of 'kids with tools' pics I have cherished. Shoulda done my own build thread!! Keep up the great work. I follow yours as well and the similarities to our build are many...

Thank you. I take that as a huge complement. :)

Hijacking my own thread for a second... LOL :yup:

...with a few pics of my kids helping me mount tires on the beadlocks!

(Hey...there is a pertinent issue here to my brake thread: I needed the new wheels to measure clearances with the new caliper! Backspacing is key here... )

Mounting beadlocks (1).jpg

Mounting beadlocks (2).jpg

Mounting beadlocks (4).jpg

Mounting beadlocks (6).jpg

Mounting beadlocks (16).jpg

Mounting beadlocks (25).jpg

Mounting beadlocks (28).jpg

Mounting beadlocks (29).jpg

Nice!
So to continue the hijack, did your TPM sensors go right in that mounting hardware? I had to drill mine a bit bigger to get them to squeeze in.

Dave

Nice!
So to continue the hijack, did your TPM sensors go right in that mounting hardware? I had to drill mine a bit bigger to get them to squeeze in.

Dave

Nope. Had to drill mine, too :) I bet an older TPMS sensor was used when they designed them...

I've been lurking and following this thread for the last few weeks. Majik, thank you for taking the time to figure this out. I am considering the Wilwood big brake kit but am holding out until you finish your research. Saving money is always up my alley!!! Keep up the great work!

ive been creepin as well, and only signed up to this forum for this thread...

i canceled my teraflex kit order once i saw the work here.....:thumb:

subscribed and thanks for all the research!!!

No prob, guys! It's hard to do independent research like this for the good of the Jeep community in general without stepping on toes, so I'm trying to be as cautious as possible :)

On a separate note... I'm doing some recalculations. After re-researching the floating vs fixed caliper issue, I'm having to adjust my calculations. As discussed on numerous other threads and forums, and brake discussion sites in general, there is an adjustment to calculating effective caliper piston surface area for a floating piston caliper: the equivalent surface area must be multiplied by 2 to be compared with a fixed 4-piston caliper, for example. This has created a bit of a bump in the road for me. I'm trying to determine whether a fixed 4-piston caliper will perform better than a floating 2 piston caliper (with actually larger pistons than the fixed caliper). There are advantages to the fixed caliper like the one I've been pursuing: larger, more rigid housing, more area for heat dissipation, more even pad clamping force distribution. BUT... will my caliper with 44mm pistons x 4 perform better than say the Jeep J8 brakes I discussed way back on page 1 and 2 of this thread, with only 2 x 54mm pistons in a floating caliper body?? (assuming same rotor to keep things simple) THAT is the key question. The problem is that to test these against each other, I'd have to buy 8 calipers (set of 4 fixed and set of 4 sliding) and machine 8 adapter brackets. Kinda cost prohibitive for my little research project :)

Here's another interesting point, though: The fixed calipers I have been pursuing, because they have the smaller 44mm pistons, will actually match BETTER with our stock master cylinders than the larger 54mm x 2 calipers used on the Jeep J8. The pedal feel with the smaller pistons in the fixed caliper will be much firmer. In fact, the original vehicle that these calipers were used on had the same bore size master cylinder as our JKs do. That's encouraging. But the key is whether or not the performance increase will be "Oh, that's a bit better..." or "DAMN! Now that's a brake system!!" My goal with all of this research is the second response :yup:

So...

Maybe my next phase should be a little numerical data: find a strain gauge...some kind of numerical indicator of clamping force... that I can put inside each caliper, and measure the clamping force generated by each. Do 3 trials: Stock, 2-piston floating (like something along the lines of a Dodge Ram 1500 caliper), and 4-piston fixed (that has a smaller piston size than the floating variety). Then see which has the most squeeze for a given brake pedal force.
Because there are 3 key ingredients to maximizing braking:

1. Rotor size - bigger = more braking torque. Pure and simple.
2. Clamping force
3. Pad coefficient of friction (often overlooked!! good race-quality pads can 'grab' the rotor up to 50% better than cheaper OEM pads)

Well, we already know I'm trying to maximize #1 with a 14" rotor. I'm of course going to get the best pad I can reasonably find for helping with #3. So all this caliper and master cylinder research comes down to helping #2. (Who...does...number....2....work...for!!???? :cheesy: Sorry. Couldn't resist.

So if anyone has any suggestions of some type of pressure gauge I could fit in between the pads of a caliper (in place of a rotor) than can measure a few thousand psi, please let me know. I've used them in engineering school. Just need to find a cheap equivalent in the real world. :)

Top Bottom