My own JK 'Big Brake' research:

Majik, I couldn't quite tell from the photos: is there enough room inside the rim for stick-on wheel balancing weights? Most of my last 5 rigs have used them vs the pound-ons, especially with aluminum rims, beadlocks, etc.

As for the knuckle mod: I don't see the target customer for this being the guy who does simple Smittybilt & Omix-Ada bolt-ons. It's just my opinion, but it seems the guy that would do this mod is a little more hands-on & willing to work through issues to get superior braking for less cost. Just my 2 cents, but I would. :D

Excellent question!! That's why I post...to get suggestions along the way!! The outside weights (i.e. the ones that would go right behind the spokes) aren't an issue. The inner edge ones...hmm. I'll have to check! The main part of the caliper body probably is fine. There is that silly post that sticks out like 3/4" off the inner back side of the caliper. Still don't know why it's even there! I mention and take pictures of it many many pages back on this thread. That is definitely the closest part clearance-wise. I'm so tempted to just hack it off with the angle grinder! LOL. With my luck though, there would be some internal brake fluid passage way or some crap like that in there!

I may go outside in a bit and do a little assembly on the workbench and check fitment of the caliper on the knuckle... the downside is that I can't find the old unit bearing I had sitting around, so I've gotta unbolt mine off the jeep real quick to do the test! :doh:

I'll also be curious if we can use the stock caliper with a custom bracket and the 14" rotors, no doubt that will be a nice upgrade for the folks that don't want to pull the knuckles off for machining :rolleyes2:

I already have the Reid knuckles and Synergy ball joints installed (my time & labor), time wise I'm not looking forward to disassembling one more time :crazyeyes:

Thanks again for your efforts :beer:

I'll also be curious if we can use the stock caliper with a custom bracket and the 14" rotors, no doubt that will be a nice upgrade for the folks that don't want to pull the knuckles off for machining :rolleyes2:

I already have the Reid knuckles and Synergy ball joints installed (my time & labor), time wise I'm not looking forward to disassembling one more time :crazyeyes:

Thanks again for your efforts :beer:

Probably not, unfortunately. One perk of the fixed-style calipers is that there is minimal height protruding above the outer edge of the rotors. The factory calipers are alot 'thicker' over that single big piston which will likely hit the inside inner edge of the rim. I'll double-check, but I'm nearly positive. See my early side-by-side picks of the OEM vs fixed caliper.

Benchtop mock up!

OK, so in less than one hour, I was able to jack up my jeep, remove wheel, caliper, rotor, and unit bearing, and then transplant the unit bearing temporarily into the modified Reid knuckle, along with rotor, new caliper, etc. Pics were taken, and then my Jeep was put back together so I can drive it to work tomorrow! LOL! :icon_crazy: I just couldn't keep you guys hanging, though! So here's a few teaser pics to show that it WORKED!! The caliper fits perfectly with that hole on the knuckle slotted as I discussed above. Now I can finalize the adapter bracket that serves the purpose of both spacing the caliper to align with the rotor and adapting the mounting bolt patterns. And yes, I have a 0.250" hardened washer in the photos acting as a spacer between the knuckle and the caliper bracket. It was just for the mockup. That's where the adapter bracket will actually go.

test fit caliper to knuckle (29).jpg

test fit caliper to knuckle (28).jpg

test fit caliper to knuckle (24).jpg

test fit caliper to knuckle (23).jpg

test fit caliper to knuckle (21).jpg

test fit caliper to knuckle (18).jpg

test fit caliper to knuckle (16).jpg

test fit caliper to knuckle (13).jpg

test fit caliper to knuckle (9).jpg

test fit caliper to knuckle (8).jpg

test fit caliper to knuckle (5).jpg

Thanks for the encouragement!! Now if anyone has a scrap unit bearing sitting around so I don't have to keep pulling my DD apart!! LOL!!

Thanks for the encouragement!! Now if anyone has a scrap unit bearing sitting around so I don't have to keep pulling my DD apart!! LOL!!

If you would have mentioned a unit bearing a week ago, I would have shipped you one. I just replaced both front ones and trashed the old ones.

Aww, thanks guys :) I hadn't even thought about the benchtop mockup idea until the day I took those pics, so I hadn't planned in advance much for having an extra unit bearing around. I'm doing the front hub conversion on mine anyway, so I won't need mine soon, either. Again, many thanks for the encouragement. I will keep you all posted as I get the bracket designed.

P.S. I've already been investigating the rears. Looks like they will be a simple 4-hole bolt-on adapter bracket. The only thing I have to investigate for them is the diameter of the inner parking brake drum compared with stock...

But one thing at a time... :thumb:

Aww, thanks guys :) I hadn't even thought about the benchtop mockup idea until the day I took those pics, so I hadn't planned in advance much for having an extra unit bearing around. I'm doing the front hub conversion on mine anyway, so I won't need mine soon, either. Again, many thanks for the encouragement. I will keep you all posted as I get the bracket designed.

P.S. I've already been investigating the rears. Looks like they will be a simple 4-hole bolt-on adapter bracket. The only thing I have to investigate for them is the diameter of the inner parking brake drum compared with stock...

But one thing at a time... :thumb:

That is a bummer about the knuckles but like others have said...not a deal breaker at all. Cheers to you and I am still anxious to see this! :beer:

Majik,
What an awesome thread.
Fantastic to see the time, effort and enthusiasm you have had for this project. Quite an inspiration.
Steve

I have an extra unit bearing! i'm in Austin area, if your close we can meet otherwise PM me your address and i'll ship it out:beer:

I have an extra unit bearing! i'm in Austin area, if your close we can meet otherwise PM me your address and i'll ship it out:beer:

Just a big public shout out to jkbud for his assistance and generosity! It will help keep things progressing much faster! :clap2: :thumb:

P.S. Once I've got this brake project done, I'll have the unit bearings replaced on my with my manual hub conversion, so I'll put my low-mileage bearings up here for grabs...

Sorry I'm so slow on the updates - have been away from the forum for a couple days. I too have a spare unit bearing. It's a new in the box one, with ABS sensor & everything. I'm happy to ship it out if you'd be willing to ship it back when you're done. I'd even pay shipping both ways to help support the project. :D

Sorry I'm so slow on the updates - have been away from the forum for a couple days. I too have a spare unit bearing. It's a new in the box one, with ABS sensor & everything. I'm happy to ship it out if you'd be willing to ship it back when you're done. I'd even pay shipping both ways to help support the project. :D

No worries! Actually jkbud has a used one in route to me already. Thanks so much, though!!!

Top Bottom