Napalm's Billet Steel! The 2016 JKU Sport Build Thread and Picture Diary

Napalm

The audience is strong in this one :)

Steel is officially on 35s and looking incredible!!! Wow is all I can say! It didn't come without work though.

After completing the install, I realized I made a rookie mistake and put the two newest(lowest measured wear) on the front when they should be on the back since our Jeeps are rear wheel drive most of the time. So, I had to do a tire rotation. I have one floor jack and no jack stands, so a rotation is a pain.

Oh and by the way, these 35s are freakin' heavy. I took the spare off to put it on and definitely had a tough time getting the other spare on to the tire carrier.

Haven't had a chance for a test drive yet, because I'm taking my union allowed lunch break, so here is a driveway shot. :)

IMG_1475603810.666849.jpg

Wow!

PROJKUR

Steel is officially on 35s and looking incredible!!! Wow is all I can say! It didn't come without work though.

After completing the install, I realized I made a rookie mistake and put the two newest(lowest measured wear) on the front when they should be on the back since our Jeeps are rear wheel drive most of the time. So, I had to do a tire rotation. I have one floor jack and no jack stands, so a rotation is a pain.

Oh and by the way, these 35s are freakin' heavy. I took the spare off to put it on and definitely had a tough time getting the other spare on to the tire carrier.

Haven't had a chance for a test drive yet, because I'm taking my union allowed lunch break, so here is a driveway shot. :)

View attachment 225601

Wow!

Looking great steel!!

WJCO

Meme King

Wow!

Looks great! But actually, you want the newer tires on the front even on a RWD vehicle. The weight of your engine and turning forces wears out tires much more than the rear axle (unless it's a vette or mustang :D ) Either way, don't stress about it too much. It's fine. Jeep looks great!

Kyle7R

Looks great! But actually, you want the newer tires on the front even on a RWD vehicle. The weight of your engine and turning forces wears out tires much more than the rear axle (unless it's a vette or mustang :D ) Either way, don't stress about it too much. It's fine. Jeep looks great!
He and I literary just had this same convo via text, lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteCrystal

I've actually heard the opposite. To resist hydroplaning and fish-taling, best pair should always go in the rear, regardless of front or rear wheel drive. Some googling will result in some links on this.

Build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=32769

Napalm

Looking great steel!!

Thank you :)
Like a completely new JK. Looks awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks Mike!

Looks good!

Thank you sir!

Now we're talking. Now we're talking.

Yes indeed. The perfect tire size for Steel!

Thank you! And I'm torn since I've heard both.. i swapped them just because I called my local Discount Tire to verify and they told me to put the newest ones in the rear. If I change my mind though, they will rotate them for free thankfully. :)

I've actually heard the opposite. To resist hydroplaning and fish-taling, best pair should always go in the rear, regardless of front or rear wheel drive. Some googling will result in some links on this.

This is what Discount Tire told me. They said you want the new tires in the rear for traction purposes but also since it's a rear wheel drive vehicle. Interested to here some other people's thoughts on this!

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Just got back from the gym! Looking MEAN sir!

As far as the tires go, why does it matter if you are going to rotate them anyway? its not like you will be doing 100 mph in the rain :idontknow:

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Looking good man!

Thank you! And I'm torn since I've heard both.. i swapped them just because I called my local Discount Tire to verify and they told me to put the newest ones in the rear.

I would've done the same. I can see both schools of thought, but if you pay attention to wear and rotate often enough it will be fine either way. I usually put the best balanced tires in the front as well.

Napalm

Looking good man!

I would've done the same. I can see both schools of thought, but if you pay attention to wear and rotate often enough it will be fine either way. I usually put the best balanced tires in the front as well.

Steel is looking meaty now. Congrats!

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106] Steel looks great! Don't stress about the tire wear too much.

Thank you guys!

I've been doing a ton of research, and I cannot find a definitive proof for either or. Some articles say they wear faster on the front, some say they wear faster on the rear!

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Looking good! IMO the front tires wear more than the rears, but I wouldn't worry or change anything at this point. You're probably going to rotate them every oil change anyway. In the meantime, enjoy!

Napalm

Just got back from the gym! Looking MEAN sir!

As far as the tires go, why does it matter if you are going to rotate them anyway? its not like you will be doing 100 mph in the rain :idontknow:

You know me Dave, I've got to drive 100mph everywhere!

Looks great! This thing has really grown up lately.

Thanks Swampdog. Glad to be apart of the KO2 family!

Looking good! IMO the front tires wear more than the rears, but I wouldn't worry or change anything at this point. You're probably going to rotate them every oil change anyway. In the meantime, enjoy!

Thanks man! I actually started a thread in the Wheels & tires section just for good discussion!!

Top Bottom