Napalm's Billet Steel! The 2016 JKU Sport Build Thread and Picture Diary

sipafz

Caught the Bug
No need to eat words! I personally think that Steel looks outstanding with those Rubi Wheels! First and foremost you have to be happy with how it drives. Otherwise, what's the point? Glad to hear that you're not setting for mediocrity!

Napalm

Still looks good, dude.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks Clay!

Still looks great man. Good for you for taking a step back.

Sent from my Pixel using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks man. It was kind of a slap in the face realizing that it had to be done, but sometimes you have to go back to move forward.

Good for you on not pushing it. Steel still looks great! Glad you're happy with the ride of her now.

Thanks Mike, that's exactly what I felt like I was doing. Chasing down a problem that you can't find is very frustrating but I'm thankful that this alleviated the issue.

Such is life. Glad you're still enjoying your Jeep.

Thank you sir, I agree.

It still looks nice! I am not sure i would trim those fenders though.

Sent from my BNTV600 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thank you. The fenders will be staying as is! No cutting.

Still looks good, that Rubi wheel is one of my favorites!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mine too. It's just such a different looking wheel.

Steel is still looking good!!

Thank you! Driving much better now too :)

No need to eat words! I personally think that Steel looks outstanding with those Rubi Wheels! First and foremost you have to be happy with how it drives. Otherwise, what's the point? Glad to hear that you're not setting for mediocrity!

Thanks man. I appreciate the kind words, I also appreciate the tip on splitting the WAL decal in half. I may try this to make things easier.

I've passed up a few wheeling opportunities since I was having these problems so I am happy that I'll be able to get out on the trail and see just how far I can push my setup :)

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Napalm

Spent some time detailing Steel today and cleaning up his new wheels and tires. As you can see, they are in fantastic shape. I can't find anything wrong with them.
IMG_1447.jpg
Also, thanks and a big shoutout to SIPAFZ for the tip on cutting the windshield banner in half for install. Happy to be running one again and not having to buy another one! :)
IMG_1446.jpg

Last edited:

ROBnTANK

Spent some time detailing Steel today and cleaning up his new wheels and tires. As you can see, they are in fantastic shape. I can't find anything wrong with them.
View attachment 236166
Also, thanks and a big shoutout to SIPAFZ for the tip on cutting the windshield banner in half for install. Happy to be running one again and not having to buy another one! :)
View attachment 236167

Way too clean, find a mud pit!!

sipafz

Caught the Bug
View attachment 236166
View attachment 236167

Looks Perfect!

millerdavidf

So, let me be the first to eat my words and say I jumped into 35s probably sooner than I should have. Ever since I installed the 35s I've had issues with Steel. I haven't been posting many photos because I've been spending my time trying to figure out what's going on, or if it was all in my mind and just the way things were. I knew that one thing was for sure, I HATED the way Steel drove. It wasn't just the sluggishness from the bigger tires, it was shaky, roadwalked, vibrated, just didn't feel right. I spent a lot of time trying to troubleshoot, and just eventually threw my hands up and was done with it. I just decided it was time to start from scratch. So, I met an eager family with a 2016 Wrangler Rubicon looking for a set of 35s. We met today and made an even swap.

A few reasons why I went back to Rubi 32s:
- Going back to a Rubi 32 will give me my everyday practicality and driveability back.

-I wanted to get back to a 17inch wheel and couldn't do that with my other tires. The Rubi wheel is my favorite 17.

-going back to my original plan of staying on Rubi wheels and tires while still being capable off road.

-they were almost new at just 2500k miles and the wheels are flawless.

Now, this doesn't mean I'll never run a larger tire, I will but this experience has shown me that I don't need to run 35s and I may run something more like a 295. This just means I am taking a step back. If my Jeep doesn't drive the way I need it to, then there is no sense in driving it at all. This will allow me somewhat of a clean slate to restart.

With that being said, Stage 1 is complete.
View attachment 236061

What size r ur gears? If u have the 3:21's, 35's r to big for that gearing size. Also, if u haven't purchased a tuner so u can tell the transmission that u changed the tire size, it will contribute to the poor drivability. Just food for thought for whenever u decide to jump back up to 35's.

Napalm

What size r ur gears? If u have the 3:21's, 35's r to big for that gearing size. Also, if u haven't purchased a tuner so u can tell the transmission that u changed the tire size, it will contribute to the poor drivability. Just food for thought for whenever u decide to jump back up to 35's.

I have 3.21s. I'm working on a build plan for the next year for stage two that includes a programmer but still not looking at regearing.

In 2018 the next set of tires will come. I'm not sure if they will be a 35, or something slightly smaller like a 285 or 295.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I drove a Jeep with new engine and 33 x 12.50 x 17's with 3.21's and an auto. I thought it drove fantastic. The 295's would look sweet as well. I am running those Rubi wheels and love them. You rig still looks cute.:cheesy:

Joking brother! Awesome!:beer:

Napalm

I drove a Jeep with new engine and 33 x 12.50 x 17's with 3.21's and an auto. I thought it drove fantastic. The 295's would look sweet as well. I am running those Rubi wheels and love them. You rig still looks cute.:cheesy:

Joking brother! Awesome!:beer:

Cute was exactly what I was aiming for :) Only time will tell, but whatever tire I run next I'll keep the Rubi wheel. I love these wheels!

Napalm

Finally got a chance to snap a photo of Steel yesterday. Really wanting to try and get back into photography.
IMG_1463.jpg

With 2017 around the corner, it's time for stage 2. The goal for Stage 1 was to make the Jeep as capable on trails as possible while still retaining stock driving characteristics.

Stage 2 focuses on a few small things to really get ready for stage 3. I really plan to focus on saving money to purchase a smaller daily driver car for better mileage to commute to work.

Stage 3 will come in 2018 and will come with tires!

Here is Stage 2(2017-2018):

Rancho Shocks.
Spidertrax 1.5 wheel spacers.
Bestop Black diamond cloth half doors with NO Uppers.
Longer front sway bar links(quick disconnect most likely)
Programmer
Purchase a daily driver car for work commuting.
Put at least 250-500 miles on Steel just from Jeep trips to trails and destinations for off-roading.

:)

Top Bottom