Napalm's Billet Steel! The 2016 JKU Sport Build Thread and Picture Diary

Napalm

I have first dibs on any mod you take off right after you put it on.

It will probably be the tires..

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Wrong.. it'll definitely be the miles from wheeling. But wait, I don't wheel so they will never go on in the first place. ;)
Hah!

Yesssssssssss!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yes sir. Barnwell and Hidden Falls are my goal. Not sure if I will be able to do the Exodus. Big plans for 2017!

dcbjk

Caught the Bug
Nathan I just caught on your thread I've been out of the circle with my build lately busy with life and holidays.
I'm glad you figured out your issue with Steel and stepping back and looking at the bigger picture going back to stock rubi wheels and tires the new look is awesome can't wait to finally see how well it does on the trail.
Also love the new decals gives Steel more character keep up the good work.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Just catching up with your thread again. Steel is still looking great. The color of the Rubi wheels looks great with silver IMO. The leveling kit with those factory Rubi wheels and tires look damn good in my opinion brother!

Napalm

Finally picked up four stainless steel D rings. Not sure if I'm sold on the color though, might put a coat of paint on them either black or red.
IMG_1473.jpg
IMG_1472.jpg
IMG_1474.jpg

Nathan I just caught on your thread I've been out of the circle with my build lately busy with life and holidays.
I'm glad you figured out your issue with Steel and stepping back and looking at the bigger picture going back to stock rubi wheels and tires the new look is awesome can't wait to finally see how well it does on the trail.
Also love the new decals gives Steel more character keep up the good work.

Thanks David!! Excited to get it out on the trail as well.

Just catching up with your thread again. Steel is still looking great. The color of the Rubi wheels looks great with silver IMO. The leveling kit with those factory Rubi wheels and tires look damn good in my opinion brother!

Thanks man!! I appreciate it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'd have to agree on keeping them stainless. They'll just look like crap after the first couple of runs if you paint them.

Kyle7R

Keep em stainless. Few tugs on em and that paint will start chipping anyways!

I'd have to agree on keeping them stainless. They'll just look like crap after the first couple of runs if you paint them.

Keep them as they are! Don't paint
Y'all acting like he actually wheels, and will have to use them [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Napalm

Keep em stainless. Few tugs on em and that paint will start chipping anyways!

Keep them as they are! Don't paint

This is the plan, thanks for all the input fellas :)

Y'all acting like he actually wheels, and will have to use them [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Hahaha. That's some funny stuff right there.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=32769

IMG_1477.JPG

gheller

So, let me be the first to eat my words and say I jumped into 35s probably sooner than I should have. Ever since I installed the 35s I've had issues with Steel. I haven't been posting many photos because I've been spending my time trying to figure out what's going on, or if it was all in my mind and just the way things were. I knew that one thing was for sure, I HATED the way Steel drove. It wasn't just the sluggishness from the bigger tires, it was shaky, roadwalked, vibrated, just didn't feel right. I spent a lot of time trying to troubleshoot, and just eventually threw my hands up and was done with it. I just decided it was time to start from scratch. So, I met an eager family with a 2016 Wrangler Rubicon looking for a set of 35s. We met today and made an even swap.

A few reasons why I went back to Rubi 32s:
- Going back to a Rubi 32 will give me my everyday practicality and driveability back.

-I wanted to get back to a 17inch wheel and couldn't do that with my other tires. The Rubi wheel is my favorite 17.

-going back to my original plan of staying on Rubi wheels and tires while still being capable off road.

-they were almost new at just 2500k miles and the wheels are flawless.

Now, this doesn't mean I'll never run a larger tire, I will but this experience has shown me that I don't need to run 35s and I may run something more like a 295. This just means I am taking a step back. If my Jeep doesn't drive the way I need it to, then there is no sense in driving it at all. This will allow me somewhat of a clean slate to restart.

With that being said, Stage 1 is complete.
View attachment 236061

I appreciate and respect your rational reasoning and sensibility. I've been very tempted to get up to 35's but as much as I like the way they look I know it's not practical for my needs. Light off road and mostly pavement trips.

I think Steel is looking excellent with the Rubi wheels and tires. I was very impressed with the ride quality of my Willys with the stock tires, and now having the Cooper SST PROS in 295 I find the ride to be almost identical. They have a nice beefy look to them too, although I seem to have taken a slight hit in mpg. That doesn't bother me

As others mentioned already, I think the Red Daystar isolators will do the trick.

Looking real good dude.

Top Bottom