Napalm's Billet Steel! The 2016 JKU Sport Build Thread and Picture Diary

Napalm

Disclaimer : LONG POST WARNING! [emoji23]

Haven't updated in a few days, but a few things have happened.

At 75 degrees outside, it was nice enough to pull back the top. Steel at the dealer for her second oil change. After this one, I'll be doing them on my own with Royal Purple Synthetic.
IMG_1617.jpg

I've been rolling the factory soft top for a little less than a month now(longer than the last time) and I must say, I am happy with my decision to swap from the TrekTop NX. While at first I was a little concerned that I'd want to swap back, I have found that the longer I look at it, the more I like the look. One down side that I have found though, is that the wind noise is stronger with the factory soft top as opposed to the TrekTop. Didn't surprise me though since the factory soft top sticks up more.

My birthday is coming up and one of my firehouse brothers got me an awesome gift. He surprised me with a set of 5.5 inch LED lights. These suckers look like they will be super bright. Because They are so large, I think I am going to have to mount them on the A pillar. It's either ordering some EVO A Pillar light mounts or trying to find a way to get them onto my quarter pounder without rubbing my winch. Thoughts?
IMG_1601.jpg

And last but not least, I spent the morning installing my 1.5 inch Spydertrax Spacers. This was probably one of the most OCD installs I've ever done just because I have experienced a spacer failure before and I wanted to make sure everything was perfect.

I spent the last few days examining and looking over these spacers for flaws, failure points, whatever. I have to say that the Spydertrax spacer is top notch quality when I compare it to the other spacers I've seen/used. The aluminum feels strong, sturdy and durable, and the studs are BEEFY. I think they are beefier than my factory studs.

Here are some before photos.
IMG_1631.jpg
IMG_1630.jpg
IMG_1629.jpg
IMG_1628.jpg
IMG_1627.jpg

So after cleaning up the factory wheel studs with a wire brush and some air duster, I mounted the wheel spacers using red Loctite and torqued the bolts down to 95 ft/lbs.
IMG_1626.jpg

And after putting all the wheels back on, torquing then down, then deciding to pull them back off to visually inspect each spacer and making sure everything look the way it should, putting them back on and torquing them once again, I am done!

IMG_1632.jpg

Now, this is a terrible finished picture but I am going to let the Loctite cure for 24 hours before moving the Jeep. I know this is overkill but as I said before, I am more OCD about these spacers than probably anything else. One of my favorite mods though!

Sorry about the long post.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Surprising how much of a difference 1.5" makes, isn't it? Totally changes the look.

If it were me, I'd mount those lights on the A-Pillar. I plan on mounting whatever brand I get there soon. Without covers it'll help keep them up & out of the way from getting whacked by rocks & also stay cleaner up there.

Jackal01

So I've had my KCs on the A pillar and now on my 1/4. The issue on the A pillar was my view was obstructed. Did not like it at all. I now use the PSC hawse fairlead light mount and it's perfect. That won't work for you since you have steel cable and roller farilead.

I DO have the EVO 1/4 offset fairlead light mount new in box. I mistanglingly bought it not knowing it's for roller fairlead not hawse. PM if you want it.

Screenshot_20170131-155450.jpg

Napalm

Ha. Hey, fool me twice man. Good for you for doing it right. I loved the way spacers changed my look. Steel will be looking good [emoji106]

Thanks man! It really does make a huge difference and is the way it should look.

Surprising how much of a difference 1.5" makes, isn't it? Totally changes the look.

If it were me, I'd mount those lights on the A-Pillar. I plan on mounting whatever brand I get there soon. Without covers it'll help keep them up & out of the way from getting whacked by rocks & also stay cleaner up there.

Yeah, I think this will be the route I take. When I do the mock up on the quarter pounder, the back part of the drivers side light rubs on my Warn Winch control box. Can't get my cover on and off.

Looks good! Man, you act like you've had a spacer come apart on you before or something :idontknow:

I know, right?! Seriously though, that is my biggest fear. I knew I wanted to run spacers because I love the look.. but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned the safety/possible breaks.

Steel looks great. Those spacers give it a great looking stance.

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks man! I can't deny, I love it!

Yeah, agreed on A pillar assuming no weird whistling noises

Between the noises of my soft top, stereo, and all those odd undiagnosed Jeep noises, I don't even know if I would be able to hear it if it did! Hah! [emoji23]

Good to see that Steel is still getting some upgrades.

Thanks Mark! Hope I can get out on the trail with you soon.

So I've had my KCs on the A pillar and now on my 1/4. The issue on the A pillar was my view was obstructed. Did not like it at all. I now use the PSC hawse fairlead light mount and it's perfect. That won't work for you since you have steel cable and roller farilead.

I DO have the EVO 1/4 offset fairlead light mount new in box. I mistanglingly bought it not knowing it's for roller fairlead not hawse. PM if you want it.

View attachment 241757

Thanks Man! I knew that would be an issue, and one of the reasons why I haven't pulled the trigger on the EVO mounts. Being that I have one of the newer 1/4 pounders, does that mean my lights will be offset to one side ?

Steel is looking good! Make sure you post up those after shots after the Loctite sets!

Thanks man. Just want to be fully sure the loctite has had more than enough time to cure before giving it a test drive!

Steel is looking good brother. Those spacers make a big difference in both stance and look!

Thanks man!! I'm loving it!! Can't wait to get it out of the garage.

Napalm

So after 30 hours of letting the Loctite cure, I checked the torque of the outer lugs at 80ft/lbs one more time, and then headed out. I am PLEASED with the results!
IMG_1646.jpg
IMG_1647.jpg

One thing I've noticed is that Steel feels like she drives slightly better after the install. I don't know if this is because I now have the piece of mind of running a made in the USA quality product or the fact that I checked the torque of the outer lug nuts(not the ones holding the spacer on) about 80 times.

I'll be watching these things like a hawk the next few weeks to make sure I don't have another failure.

gheller

When you say "another failure" did you have a problem with spacers in the past or having lug nuts come off a wheel?

Btw, I did feel the ride was better after I put the spacers on. The wider stance makes it feel more stable.

Sent from Earth to Space and back...can ya give it a second!? WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom