New Evo Mfg pro series hinged gate

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

Good stuff man. Can't wait to see the install and final product pics. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Probably tomorrow night. The more I was looking at it and doing some research...I'm going to replace my no-name CB antenna cable with the FireStick Firering cable. It (should) mount with the EVO carrier without any modifications. I'll have this all itemized in my build thread. The cable and compatible stud mount will be here tomorrow so I have to wait for those as well.

Rival

Hey guys, thought I'd share in case others were thinking of adding a third brake light..

I modified a Rugged Ridge bracket to fit. Note: I didn't add any additional spacers to the four bolts on the right side, just used the spacers that came with the kit.

Last edited:

DanQuixote

Hey guys, thought I'd share in case others were thinking of adding a third brake light..

I modified a Rugged Ridge bracket to fit. Note: I didn't add any additional spacers to the four bolts on the right side, just used the spacers that came with the kit.

Did you just slip the Rugged Ridge bracket behind the carrier? That looks nice. I was going to use a version of the Teraflex license plate & third brake light relocation bracket but customized for the wider, sideways bolt pattern on the Evo, but maybe this is a better solution.

Rival

Did you just slip the Rugged Ridge bracket behind the carrier? That looks nice. I was going to use a version of the Teraflex license plate & third brake light relocation bracket but customized for the wider, sideways bolt pattern on the Evo, but maybe this is a better solution.

The only thing that had to be done was to provide a little clearance so it could slip behind. Here is a pic of what I did, just made a cut and then hammered it flat. Primitive but effective.

Optional is to cut the antenna bracket off. It doesn't foul on anything but is redundant to the one on the EVO.

IMG_0364.jpg

DanQuixote

Got it; thanks. Nice and simple. I've also been waiting because Evo is any day releasing their own license plate/brake light relocation bracket that attaches to the lug bolts on the spare. The extra CB antenna mount is actually kind of handy since you need a very low profile setup to fit directly on the Evo. I had swapped my cable to a Firestik firering but this setup would make the change unnecessary.

dchew

Although not yet on the website, ORE now has the license plate relocation bracket available. Combined with the PS 3rd brake light/license plate light, I will be driving at night again...

Dave

dchew

Installed the license plate relocation along with PS brake/license light. It comes with the adapter plate, mounting plate and small bolt kit. This kit can also be used for a Rotopax so the instructions follow two paths.

Simple install. I must say EVO's install instructions have improved dramatically in the last few years.

Remove the tire
IMG_2404.JPG

Add the adapter plate.
IMG_2405.JPG

Mount the tire. Unexpected benefit: sooo much easier to mount with the post there so you don't have to aim for the studs.
IMG_2406.JPG

Attach the LP mount.
IMG_2408.JPG

Finished
IMG_2410.JPG

Last edited:

matt87951

I'm in the market for a spare tire carrier, wasn't able to fit my 35" tire on the factory mount. I assume it's a backspacing issue since I am running factory wheels?

Anyways... That being said, I was originally looking at the AEV JK Tire Carrier, since it'll work with my bumper (10th Anniversary Edition rear bumper) and put the weight of the spare on the frame instead of the body of the Jeep. However, since this carrier has been out a while, and there are a few folks using them, what are the overall thoughts? Anyone having any vibration, rattles, noises, hard to open/close, etc. from the carrier? It definitely looks like a solid piece of hardware, and try to buy American when I can, so that helps this. I need the ability to open the gate and tire carrier in one motion since this is my only vehicle, and use the rear for hauling whatever I need to haul.

Rival

I'm in the market for a spare tire carrier, wasn't able to fit my 35" tire on the factory mount. I assume it's a backspacing issue since I am running factory wheels?

Anyways... That being said, I was originally looking at the AEV JK Tire Carrier, since it'll work with my bumper (10th Anniversary Edition rear bumper) and put the weight of the spare on the frame instead of the body of the Jeep. However, since this carrier has been out a while, and there are a few folks using them, what are the overall thoughts? Anyone having any vibration, rattles, noises, hard to open/close, etc. from the carrier? It definitely looks like a solid piece of hardware, and try to buy American when I can, so that helps this. I need the ability to open the gate and tire carrier in one motion since this is my only vehicle, and use the rear for hauling whatever I need to haul.

Mine has been great. I did have some rattles at first but it was because I didn't follow the instructions. It is important to tighten the bolts that secure the hinge brackets after the door has been bolted to the carrier. You will be tempted to tighten them before you install the carrier...don't! I even found it beneficial to even lift up a bit on the door to compensate for the weight of the wheel/tire. The door latch should align perfectly with the striker. No more rattles and he door opens and closes like factory.

Make sure to get an extended torx bit (T50 I believe). The largest I could find at the local hardware store was a T45 which did get the job done. Also, see posts above for options if you'd like to retain the third brake light.

boardsurfer

Mine squeals like a stuck pig. For th first week it was perfect. Rock solid and dead silent. Then I went wheeling, got covered in dirt and now it won't shut up. I've taken it apart twice. Every single nook and cranny in the road makes a squeak and I just can't figure out where it's coming from. The one piece I have not taken apart yet is where the piece that holds the studs mates to the body of the carrier. That has to be it. Two big flat surfaces rubbing together.

Also, if you plan to use the antenna mount, you'll need a right angle antenna stud. NOT just a 90 degree adaptor, that will be too long.

PokerStogey

If you don't want to put out the $$ for a new carrier right now, a wheel spacer (I used 1 1/2") works perfectly. Then throw some rubber couplers on the isolaters to get it nice and tight. I did it this weekend and don't foresee any issues yet.

matt87951

Mine has been great. I did have some rattles at first but it was because I didn't follow the instructions. It is important to tighten the bolts that secure the hinge brackets after the door has been bolted to the carrier. You will be tempted to tighten them before you install the carrier...don't! I even found it beneficial to even lift up a bit on the door to compensate for the weight of the wheel/tire. The door latch should align perfectly with the striker. No more rattles and he door opens and closes like factory.

Make sure to get an extended torx bit (T50 I believe). The largest I could find at the local hardware store was a T45 which did get the job done. Also, see posts above for options if you'd like to retain the third brake light.

Awesome, glad to hear that feedback.

I read through every post in this thread (Some for a second time) before I posted last night, so I saw your third brake light, and the other with the license plate mount. I will need to do one or the other. I am leaning more toward the license plate relocation, as I like seeing the plate on the spare. Cleans up the back of the Jeep a bit.

Mine squeals like a stuck pig. For th first week it was perfect. Rock solid and dead silent. Then I went wheeling, got covered in dirt and now it won't shut up. I've taken it apart twice. Every single nook and cranny in the road makes a squeak and I just can't figure out where it's coming from. The one piece I have not taken apart yet is where the piece that holds the studs mates to the body of the carrier. That has to be it. Two big flat surfaces rubbing together.

Also, if you plan to use the antenna mount, you'll need a right angle antenna stud. NOT just a 90 degree adaptor, that will be too long.

Again, thanks for the feedback. I know I don't wheel as much as some of you on here, but my Jeep will definitely see plenty of time off road, especially since I finally have a lift and tires. I was just out last weekend, wheeling in a fresh 6-8" of snow. It is a bit discouraging to hear about the noise, but I appreciate the feedback none the less. I will keep checking back, to see if there are any updates. The information on the antenna mount is helpful as well, I will definitely be utilizing that if I end up getting this tire carrier.

If you don't want to put out the $$ for a new carrier right now, a wheel spacer (I used 1 1/2") works perfectly. Then throw some rubber couplers on the isolaters to get it nice and tight. I did it this weekend and don't foresee any issues yet.

I thought about this as well. Since I'm running factory wheels, I of course have to use wheel spacers all around my Jeep as it is. I was hoping to get away without using one on the factory spare tire mount. I might give this a shot though, as my spare is currently taking up the entire rear storage of my Jeep. Do you think 1.5" is too much of a spacer? Could I get away with just using a .75" or 1" spacer? I'd like to keep the spare as close to the tailgate as possible.

PokerStogey

Awesome, glad to hear that feedback.

I read through every post in this thread (Some for a second time) before I posted last night, so I saw your third brake light, and the other with the license plate mount. I will need to do one or the other. I am leaning more toward the license plate relocation, as I like seeing the plate on the spare. Cleans up the back of the Jeep a bit.

Again, thanks for the feedback. I know I don't wheel as much as some of you on here, but my Jeep will definitely see plenty of time off road, especially since I finally have a lift and tires. I was just out last weekend, wheeling in a fresh 6-8" of snow. It is a bit discouraging to hear about the noise, but I appreciate the feedback none the less. I will keep checking back, to see if there are any updates. The information on the antenna mount is helpful as well, I will definitely be utilizing that if I end up getting this tire carrier.

I thought about this as well. Since I'm running factory wheels, I of course have to use wheel spacers all around my Jeep as it is. I was hoping to get away without using one on the factory spare tire mount. I might give this a shot though, as my spare is currently taking up the entire rear storage of my Jeep. Do you think 1.5" is too much of a spacer? Could I get away with just using a .75" or 1" spacer? I'd like to keep the spare as close to the tailgate as possible.

I will check the clearance after work and let you know, but I don't think there is a whole lot of room to spare. I am running the STT Pros in 315/70 17 on stock Rubi rims.

PokerStogey

Awesome, thanks!

I am running Nitto Ridge Grapplers, 35x12.5x17.

Sorry man, dark and stormy when I got home... I will try for some better clearance pics tomorrow. IMG_4393.jpg IMG_4394.jpg IMG_4395.jpg

But either way, it appears it would be pretty close for the 3/4" spacer. Hopefully this storm passes tomorrow and I'll let you know for sure

boardsurfer

The piece that holds the tire is adjustable. It moves about 2 inches, maybe a tad more. So with my 3.5 inch back spacing, I have the piece mounted all the way in, as tight as it will go. This leaves the tire just shy of touching the body of the carrier. You could go all the way to 5.5 inch back spacing and still be nice and snug.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom