New Evo Mfg pro series hinged gate

RUBIBLUE

EVO Hinged tire carrier

Installed, toyo rt 37x12.5r17. Mount is solid.

View attachment 235651

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

I have just installed the EVO hinged tire carrier on my 2015 JKU Rubicon and here are a few issues that I ran into. I agree this is a very well built tire carrier, quality welds and finish. The few issues I experienced was the delrin (plastic) flanged bushings fit nicely into the carrier but the DOM steel pins had about .019" slop and I thought this was to much. I ended up ordering some flanged bronze bushings from McMaster-Carr with the same OD dimensions but a tighter ID dimension that removed all the extra play. Second issue was the directions want you to use the factory hinge bolts, 4 each, to secure the EVO carrier, but with lower bolts were to short because of the double stacked spacers you need to install on the lower hinge area per the directions. I had to use .250" longer bolts on the lower two holes to get correct amount of thread engagement. The third was very minor, as you can see in previous posts with pics, the pass side upper corner of the tail gate door sticks out .090", not flush with body. The unit functions perfect, very smooth and opens/closes like original. I do recommend this carrier, but is you are like me and like things made correctly, the bushings may be an issue for you and the you need to install longer bolts in the two lower hinge holes because you will pull the threads when tightening because of a lack of thread engagement. I also recommend that you prime and use RTV on the mating surface between the hinge brackets and the body of you jeep to protect from moisture. :thumb:

tgoss

Second issue was the directions want you to use the factory hinge bolts, 4 each, to secure the EVO carrier, but with lower bolts were to short because of the double stacked spacers you need to install on the lower hinge area per the directions. I had to use .250" longer bolts on the lower two holes to get correct amount of thread engagement.

I had this issue as well. So badly that I ended up stripping both sides of that lower plate which resulted in cutting a pocket in those lower vents to run some stainless hardware through both holes. I really wish EVO would supply longer hardware for both the top and bottom, only makes sense considering you are throwing those spacers on.

31967128966_6bff21950e_b.jpg

I wasn't too pleased about that but in the end this carrier kinda blew me away with how simple it really is. I just pulled the CC body mounted carrier in favor of this can say overall I'm glad I switched.

The CC carrier was always making noise. Squeaking terribly that would have to be addressed constantly.

Second, didn't matter how much I sucked the tire into the CC carrier and torqued all the bolts... The tire would still hinge itself upward (I know this is by their design if you were to come down on the tire off an obstacle) and would jiggle... Wasn't the best feeling but every time I inspected it I couldn't get things any tighter.

Lastly, the CC carrier was a bitch to open. If I didn't have it as tight as I did, it would rattle and squeak. I was used to it coming from a PS brawler II which was just as bad. What a difference when I first opened the tailgate with the Evo installed. It's truly effortless, which was a very nice surprise

While the CC carrier looks way cooler and yes it did get the job done just fine, the Evo unit simply works better for my needs (which I find mostly in all their products, some may look like shit but they function and others are well just made purely for aesthetics and no functional purpose whatsoever.... looking at you mini liners).

32004816565_7b107468bc_b.jpg

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I had this issue as well. So badly that I ended up stripping both sides of that lower plate which resulted in cutting a pocket in those lower vents to run some stainless hardware through both holes. I really wish EVO would supply longer hardware for both the top and bottom, only makes sense considering you are throwing those spacers on.

31967128966_6bff21950e_b.jpg

I wasn't too pleased about that but in the end this carrier kinda blew me away with how simple it really is. I just pulled the CC body mounted carrier in favor of this can say overall I'm glad I switched.

The CC carrier was always making noise. Squeaking terribly that would have to be addressed constantly.

Second, didn't matter how much I sucked the tire into the CC carrier and torqued all the bolts... The tire would still hinge itself upward (I know this is by their design if you were to come down on the tire off an obstacle) and would jiggle... Wasn't the best feeling but every time I inspected it I couldn't get things any tighter.

Lastly, the CC carrier was a bitch to open. If I didn't have it as tight as I did, it would rattle and squeak. I was used to it coming from a PS brawler II which was just as bad. What a difference when I first opened the tailgate with the Evo installed. It's truly effortless, which was a very nice surprise

While the CC carrier looks way cooler and yes it did get the job done just fine, the Evo unit simply works better for my needs (which I find mostly in all their products, some may look like shit but they function and others are well just made purely for aesthetics and no functional purpose whatsoever.... looking at you mini liners).

32004816565_7b107468bc_b.jpg

Thanks for that comparison. I've been debating between the two.

Edit: I've also been debating frame VS body mounted but that's a different story. [emoji23]

benatc1

Hooked
debating pulling the trigger on this soon as I am tire carrier-less at the moment. Seems like regardless of the issues with hardware overall people are happy with the product. does anyone have any suggestions on what other hardware I will need to make this install correctly? I am hopeful that EVO has remedied these issues as time has gone on and it will be a non issues for me, but just in case! choosing this over the EVO rear tire carrier as price is right and I do not want to put corners on my 4 month of Jeep just yet. any advice or information would be great, thanks!

tgoss

debating pulling the trigger on this soon as I am tire carrier-less at the moment. Seems like regardless of the issues with hardware overall people are happy with the product. does anyone have any suggestions on what other hardware I will need to make this install correctly? I am hopeful that EVO has remedied these issues as time has gone on and it will be a non issues for me, but just in case! choosing this over the EVO rear tire carrier as price is right and I do not want to put corners on my 4 month of Jeep just yet. any advice or information would be great, thanks!

The only thing I would recommend is pulling one of the 4 bolts holding the hinges to the gate, taking it to fastenel and buying stainless bolts that are roughly 8-10mm longer.

After having it on for a while I'm going to try and shorten the mounts for the tire to suck the tire against the carrier more. Everything is torqued and as close as I can make it but the tire barely touches the isolator and the bottom of the carrier thus it shakes a bit on the freeway. It's just unnerving watching it in the mirror.

Everything else I'm super happy with...

benatc1

Hooked
The only thing I would recommend is pulling one of the 4 bolts holding the hinges to the gate, taking it to fastenel and buying stainless bolts that are roughly 8-10mm longer.

After having it on for a while I'm going to try and shorten the mounts for the tire to suck the tire against the carrier more. Everything is torqued and as close as I can make it but the tire barely touches the isolator and the bottom of the carrier thus it shakes a bit on the freeway. It's just unnerving watching it in the mirror.

Everything else I'm super happy with...
thanks for the info! very helpful!

Sent from my SM-G928V using WAYALIFE mobile app

berick1

What license plate relocate mount did you use? Also curious what brake / license light you used. Thanks!

Installed the license plate relocation along with PS brake/license light. It comes with the adapter plate, mounting plate and small bolt kit. This kit can also be used for a Rotopax so the instructions follow two paths.

Simple install. I must say EVO's install instructions have improved dramatically in the last few years.

Remove the tire
View attachment 233567

Add the adapter plate.
View attachment 233568

Mount the tire. Unexpected benefit: sooo much easier to mount with the post there so you don't have to aim for the studs.
View attachment 233569

Attach the LP mount.
View attachment 233570

Finished
View attachment 233571

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

aermotor

I installed this recently with zero issues (except a couple missing bolts and intern f'ed up). Very straight forward and simple, and beast mode. I miss having my jerry cans but the convenience, engineering, and low-profile factory are just awesome. No complaints. I also got the EVO license plate carrier which is a nice touch.

dchew

What license plate relocate mount did you use? Also curious what brake / license light you used. Thanks!
Relocate mount:
https://www.offroadevolution.com/product/evo-mfg-license-plate-relocaterotopax-can-mount/

Plate light and third brake light:
http://shop.poisonspyder.com/LED-License-Plate-3rd-Brake-Light-p/41-04-406.htm

PSC makes two versions of the light with different wiring connections. I got the generic one.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

tgoss

I'll throw a quick follow up review on here since it's been on for a few weeks now and I've had it on and off road a good bit.

I really do like the ease of operation and the simplistic design. I think Evo nailed it out of the park on this.

Their materials used to construct the gate and the hinges is always stellar.

Now for my gripes to add on top of what I've already had to go through installing it (see above).

I reamed out the top two tailgate hinge holes just enough to re-tap them for a slightly larger (and longer) bolt to match what I did on the bottom two holes. Just gives me peace of mind.

It has developed a rattle on the upper body mounted hinge that I cannot subdue. I've taken it apart multiple times now to rectify and I've come to the conclusion that it it what it is. The bushing and steel sleeve do not offer tight enough clearances to negate all the movement. It bugs me but isn't a deal breaker.

I've also taken it a step further to have a fab shop modify the tire mounting brackets by shortening and welding them together. I did this to bring the tire closer in to offer a little preload. I could see the tire shaking pretty bad going down the freeway and while I didn't really feel it would fall off, it gives more peace of mind now that it is hugged against the gate. This has unfortunately rendered the antenna mount useless but that can be solved easily by other means.

Lastly, and I think this is a consensus from most everyone, Evo's powder coat and packaging is lacking. All pieces I have were delivered with some sort of damage and the powder coat is peeling off. Their metal work is top notch but whoever they use to finish these pieces could up their game and for the love of God please stop using popcorn and use foam lol. That shit goes everywhere and doesn't protect the parts for shit.

I think when I have nothing else to blow money on I'll ditch this for either a genright carrier or evo's corner/carrier set up.... Should have just done this from that in hindsight but still wanted single operation of the gate. Live and learn.

Last edited:

TOPLESS

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the follow up! I've been watching this thread for awhile.
Anybody else have anything to add to the pro's and con's??

dchew

I've had mine a few months.
  • I didn't have the same install issues tgoss did with the bottom bolts; mine threaded on ok.
  • I must have gotten lucky with my hinge assemblies fitting together. No issues there either.
  • No rattles (yet), but I have wheels with 4-5/8" back spacing, so I can put a bit of pressure on the structure and gate. I don't drive the Jeep much in the winter because of salt so too early to really tell. Probably ~500 miles so far.
  • The gate opens like butter. You would never guess there is a 135 lb tire/wheel on there.
  • I wish they would have thought out the antenna mount better. You do need a special angle mount to get the wire to clear, which I don't have yet.
  • We will see how well the paint holds up. I haven't had much luck with paint from aftermarket suppliers lasting very long (including EVO). I was told these were primed prior to painting so maybe they will be fine.
  • I did not change the interior hinge stop bracket. It seems to work well enough with the OEM bracket still on there.

All in I'm very satisfied.

Dave

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'll throw a quick follow up review on here since it's been on for a few weeks now and I've had it on and off road a good bit.

I really do like the ease of operation and the simplistic design. I think Evo nailed it out of the park on this.

Their materials used to construct the gate and the hinges is always stellar.

Now for my gripes to add on top of what I've already had to go through installing it (see above).

I reamed out the top two tailgate hinge holes just enough to re-tap them for a slightly larger (and longer) bolt to match what I did on the bottom two holes. Just gives me peace of mind.

It has developed a rattle on the upper body mounted hinge that I cannot subdue. I've taken it apart multiple times now to rectify and I've come to the conclusion that it it what it is. The bushing and steel sleeve do not offer tight enough clearances to negate all the movement. It bugs me but isn't a deal breaker.

I've also taken it a step further to have a fab shop modify the tire mounting brackets by shortening and welding them together. I did this to bring the tire closer in to offer a little preload. I could see the tire shaking pretty bad going down the freeway and while I didn't really feel it would fall off, it gives more peace of mind now that it is hugged against the gate. This has unfortunately rendered the antenna mount useless but that can be solved easily by other means.

Lastly, and I think this is a consensus from most everyone, Evo's powder coat and packaging is lacking. All pieces I have were delivered with some sort of damage and the powder coat is peeling off. Their metal work is top notch but whoever they use to finish these pieces could up their game and for the love of God please stop using popcorn and use foam lol. That shit goes everywhere and doesn't protect the parts for shit.

I think when I have nothing else to blow money on I'll ditch this for either a genright carrier or evo's corner/carrier set up.... Should have just done this from that in hindsight but still wanted single operation of the gate. Live and learn.

Thanks for the honest review.

Resqnu

I'm interested in this tire carrier. Anyone else have any input on the EVO carrier? Looking between this one and the Rugged Ridge.

aermotor

I'm interested in this tire carrier. Anyone else have any input on the EVO carrier? Looking between this one and the Rugged Ridge.

Rugged Ridge, Teraflex and all the likes are completely inferior to the USA made EVO carrier. Accept no imitations.

Resqnu

I will be putting a tire carrier on my 2017 JKUR HR. I like the current bumpers. I do like that the Evo is made in USA and it is 1 large piece. Seems that a one piece would give better support than the others that have a separate hinge and carrier. Thoughts?

boardsurfer

I will be putting a tire carrier on my 2017 JKUR HR. I like the current bumpers. I do like that the Evo is made in USA and it is 1 large piece. Seems that a one piece would give better support than the others that have a separate hinge and carrier. Thoughts?

Well it isnt necessarily all one piece. There's the main body assembly, a piece that bolts to that which serves as a foundation to the wheel mounting surface, and then the wheel mounting surface. So 3 pieces in all. 5 if you count the hinge brackets, but you know what I mean. It is super beefy and very solid. Opens easily.

Top Bottom