New Poison Spyder Tire Carrier

wwood

And another note, the EVO tire carrier distributes the weight when closed to both sides of the Jeep. 50/50

Respectfully, I don't believe that is correct. Since 100% of the weight of the carrier and the wheel/tire is carried by the passenger side carrier hinges when open, the only weight carried by the driver's side latch plate when closed is the small amount of flex remaining in the carrier system. I don't have any way to measure the actual forces on both sides but I am betting that the driver's side never sees more than 10% of the total weight, even on a heavy bump. As I am closing the Genright carrier into the driver's side latch plate pockets, I can feel that there is almost no weight on the driver's side. Pretty sure the EVO carrier setup is the same. That is why I was surprised to read that PSC accuses competing products of major weaknesses particularly on the driver's side.

Last edited:

NAUJK

My only thought is in the video they have they say it had a 35 on it that 35 was hanging super low and they said it can hold up to a 40 I can't imagine a 40 in that sucker and how low it would hang down I feel like it works run on step departures...

SFNick

Respectfully, I don't believe that is correct. Since 100% of the weight of the carrier and the wheel/tire is carried by the passenger side carrier hinges when open, the only weight carried by the driver's side latch plate when closed is the small amount of flex remaining in the carrier system. I don't have any way to measure the actual forces on both sides but I am betting that the driver's side never sees more than 10% of the total weight, even on a heavy bump. As I am closing the Genright carrier into the driver's side latch plate pockets, I can feel that there is almost no weight on the driver's side. Pretty sure the EVO carrier setup is the same. That is why I was surprised to read that PSC accuses competing products of major weaknesses particularly on the driver's side.

No worries....I see what you're saying but the EVO carrier is nothing like the Genright. In order to get the EVO carrier seated on the driver side you have to lift it up 3 to 4 inches. Which is one reason why the EVO carrier is so quiet. I have no experience with the Genright. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418736410.785439.jpg

wwood

No worries....I see what you're saying but the EVO carrier is nothing like the Genright. In order to get the EVO carrier seated on the driver side you have to lift it up 3 to 4 inches. Which is one reason why the EVO carrier is so quiet. I have no experience with the Genright.

Thanks for the great pic....really helps me understand this question. I have no experience with the EVO except what I have read, but in your pic it is clear that 100% of the weight is on the passenger side hinges. When you lift the driver's side arms a couple of inches and put them in the pockets, how much weight are you lifting? I am guessing maybe 15-20lbs? Maybe 10% of the total weight of the carrier and tire?

My point is that simply closing the carrier does not transfer any significant weight to the driver's side. The passenger side does not somehow automatically adjust to balance the weight 50/50. Not arguing with you, just a little annoyed at PSC for accusing competitors of weaknesses instead of just pumping up their own products. Never knew them to use that tactic before.

No worries....I see what you're saying but the EVO carrier is nothing like the Genright. In order to get the EVO carrier seated on the driver side you have to lift it up 3 to 4 inches. Which is one reason why the EVO carrier is so quiet. I have no experience with the Genright.

The Genright is the same way, but there is a slot in the upper passenger bracket and they instruct you to adjust it so the carrier doesn't have to be lifted.
The bushings fit so tightly that there is no movement. The only noise the carrier has comes from the pins rattling. The fix for this is similar to the EVO (I think).

LeighP

I like it.
It incorporates some accessory mountings that people have mentioned they'd like to see, it makes the opening and closing a much more user friendly procedure than others....meaning everyone who travels with the Jeep is going to like it better.
I hope they do well with it. Having more choices is always nice. :cool:

dirtlimo

Thanks for the great pic....really helps me understand this question. I have no experience with the EVO except what I have read, but in your pic it is clear that 100% of the weight is on the passenger side hinges. When you lift the driver's side arms a couple of inches and put them in the pockets, how much weight are you lifting? I am guessing maybe 15-20lbs? Maybe 10% of the total weight of the carrier and tire?

My point is that simply closing the carrier does not transfer any significant weight to the driver's side. The passenger side does not somehow automatically adjust to balance the weight 50/50. Not arguing with you, just a little annoyed at PSC for accusing competitors of weaknesses instead of just pumping up their own products. Never knew them to use that tactic before.

Don't quote me, but I do not think GR or EVO are the competitors they are referring to :beer:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I haven't found the answer but do we know if this carrier will work with Evo corner skins?

Just like the genright, with some work it will work with evo skins...I have genright and will be making it work once I build my own side plate that I can weld on.

To me this is just a rip off of the genright carrier, or an updated version that has ways to mount a rotopax and stuff. The side brackets that replace the tailgate hinges are basically the same, and have the same install process. The only thing they changed is the latch plate side which to me, looks like a weak point how its like a standard drawer lock thing in there. Id trust my carrier holding a 40 before that one with the double pins.

the "builtnotbought" people :crazyeyes:

Oh, I see...

This seems like a pretty involved home brew project. And I doubt there is any cost savings in making this on your own. I've said it before and I'll say it again... I am capable of making my own stuff, but often can't purchase the material for the cost of the already fabricated products.

Jackal01

Just like the genright, with some work it will work with evo skins...I have genright and will be making it work once I build my own side plate that I can weld on.
Got it.

The only thing they changed is the latch plate side which to me, looks like a weak point how its like a standard drawer lock thing in there. Id trust my carrier holding a 40 before that one with the double pins.

Agreed. I actually like the carrier but the latch just seems chincy. Perhaps it does well but just from the video and pics it seems like a weak point. I like the Evo method more with the pins.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Sorry pal but you're wrong on this one and here's why. Unlike the PS tire carrier, you can take the bolts out of the passenger side EVO tire carrier hinges, put them on the driver side and just like that, you've changed the direction upon how it opens. By your logic, all the weight is now all being supported on the driver side and this is simply not true.

SFNick

I'm no Mechanical Engineer but
The horizontal load from the weight of the door can be easily calculated as the total weight of the door plus anything hanging from it.

W = (md + ms) g

where md = mass of the door, ms = mass of anything suspended on the door, and g = gravitational constant, 9.8 m/sec2.

If we assume the door has four hinges aligned horizontal, the horizontal force is divided equally between them:

W = FA + FB

Equal load distribution between hinges requires the hinges be made exactly to nominal dimensions and installed precisely. Tolerances in hinge manufacture or placement cause the load to be distributed unequally. In the extreme case the passenger hinges take all the vertical force because the gap between the two halves of the passenger hinge prevents load transfer between the driver side. That is what the Genright tire carrier is doing in order to allow a easier method of opening & shutting the carrier. The EVO carrier does not & load is distributed as described in the equation.

Last edited:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Agreed. I actually like the carrier but the latch just seems chincy. Perhaps it does well but just from the video and pics it seems like a weak point. I like the Evo method more with the pins.

Yeah that's why I went genright originally, and I never planned on using skins at that time. However for 2 door guys that want to do a stretch eventually like I do, genright makes the most sense due to how it latches. I was going to switch over to the evo carrier but then remembered I couldn't use it with a comp cut out back.

wwood

Sorry pal but you're wrong on this one and here's why. Unlike the PS tire carrier or Genright, you can take the bolts out of the passenger side EVO tire carrier hinges, put them on the driver side and just like that, you've changed the direction upon how it opens. By your logic, all the weight is now all being supported on the driver side and this is simply not true.

Eddie,

Hope you don't take this the wrong way. I have never seen the EVO carrier in real life so I am seeking info not arguing. You are certainly right, by my logic, the weight would all be carried on the driver's side if you switched the bolts. You say that is simply not true, but why?

The EVO carrier setup is unique in that it mounts on super strong rear corners with equally strong driver and passenger mounts. So switching the bolts from passenger to driver side would be possible (the tailgate opening situation might be a little odd). :)

But consider this..... Just before the carrier is closed, 100% of the weight is held by whatever side has the bolts (hinged side). How can closing the carrier suddenly equally balance the weight between the driver and passenger sides?? I don't see how that is possible. The only weight being transferred from the hinged side to the latched side is the amount of flex in the system. From the photo I quoted above, it looks like you have to lift the latch side of the EVO carrier a couple of inches to seat the arms in the pockets. But I would certainly think the amount of weight you are lifting and thus transferring from the hinged side to the latch side is minor compared to the total weight of the carrier/tire.

Jackal01

Yeah that's why I went genright originally, and I never planned on using skins at that time. However for 2 door guys that want to do a stretch eventually like I do, genright makes the most sense due to how it latches. I was going to switch over to the evo carrier but then remembered I couldn't use it with a comp cut out back.

Yea. I think you made the right decision with yours. :yup:

Top Bottom