New Poison Spyder Tire Carrier

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie,

Hope you don't take this the wrong way. I have never seen the EVO carrier in real life so I am seeking info not arguing. You are certainly right, by my logic, the weight would all be carried on the driver's side if you switched the bolts. You say that is simply not true, but why?

The EVO carrier setup is unique in that it mounts on super strong rear corners with equally strong driver and passenger mounts. So switching the bolts from passenger to driver side would be possible (the tailgate opening situation might be a little odd). :)

But consider this..... Just before the carrier is closed, 100% of the weight is held by whatever side has the bolts (hinged side). How can closing the carrier suddenly equally balance the weight between the driver and passenger sides?? I don't see how that is possible. The only weight being transferred from the hinged side to the latched side is the amount of flex in the system. From the photo I quoted above, it looks like you have to lift the latch side of the EVO carrier a couple of inches to seat the arms in the pockets. But I would certainly think the amount of weight you are lifting and thus transferring from the hinged side to the latch side is minor compared to the total weight of the carrier/tire.

And I hope you don't take this the wrong way. I have 2 EVO tire carriers, one on both my Jeeps and I'm not trying to argue anything.

But consider this.... without changing a thing, I can take the passenger side hinge bolts and put them on the driver side and just like that, it opens the other way. Again, without changing a thing, I can also take all the bolts out and let the tire carrier just sits in its 4 mounts. Which side is now holding up most of the weight? :thinking: :idontknow:

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
I think it's perfectly obvious that with it mounted up the weight is distributed equally because both sides are identical. Another thing to think about is that when your lifting the carrier into place your essentially using the carrier as a big lever to move the weight, your not having to lift the entire weight of what is about to be supported.

mastrcruse

Would there be any benefits going with this vs. going with the Exp-1 rear bumper and tire carrier combo? Is it just a preference if the tire is inside or out? I see a lot of the JK-experience jeeps running it inside like this would do.

NAUJK

Would there be any benefits going with this vs. going with the Exp-1 rear bumper and tire carrier combo? Is it just a preference if the tire is inside or out? I see a lot of the JK-experience jeeps running it inside like this would do.

You save weight by not having a full bumper in the rear.

Sithwindu

I'm liking this! You could always body match paint the block latch so it's not as noticeable! Which I might do if I go this route

wwood

And I hope you don't take this the wrong way. I have 2 EVO tire carriers, one on both my Jeeps and I'm not trying to argue anything.

But consider this.... without changing a thing, I can take the passenger side hinge bolts and put them on the driver side and just like that, it opens the other way. Again, without changing a thing, I can also take all the bolts out and let the tire carrier just sits in its 4 mounts. Which side is now holding up most of the weight? :thinking: :idontknow:

Ok, I am convinced. :) I was wrong on the EVO carrier and I thank you for setting me straight with a very clear explanation.

Obviously the Genright carrier is different since it definitely holds virtually all of the weight on the passenger side, there is no way I could take out the passenger side hinge bolts without anything changing.

I was under the mistaken impression that with EVO carriers you could screw in the top passenger side adjuster farther than the bottom adjuster so as to hold the carrier level so it would not droop below the driver's side latch pockets. This would be similar to the way the Genright passenger side hinge works - there is an elongated hole in the top hinge that allows the carrier to be held slightly above level as the bolt is tightened. Then the passenger side hinges hold all the weight and the driver's side arms just slide into the latch plate pockets without being lifted. You can literally open/close the carrier with one finger as there is no weight on the driver's side.

Ok, I am convinced. :) I was wrong on the EVO carrier and I thank you for setting me straight with a very clear explanation.

Obviously the Genright carrier is different since it definitely holds virtually all of the weight on the passenger side, there is no way I could take out the passenger side hinge bolts without anything changing.

I was under the mistaken impression that with EVO carriers you could screw in the top passenger side adjuster farther than the bottom adjuster so as to hold the carrier level so it would not droop below the driver's side latch pockets. This would be similar to the way the Genright passenger side hinge works - there is an elongated hole in the top hinge that allows the carrier to be held slightly above level as the bolt is tightened. Then the passenger side hinges hold all the weight and the driver's side arms just slide into the latch plate pockets without being lifted. You can literally open/close the carrier with one finger as there is no weight on the driver's side.

It doesn't matter what carrier it is.... If it is firmly mounted on both sides all loads are shared equally by both sides. The passenger side adjustment does nothing more than allow for easier closure.

wwood

It doesn't matter what carrier it is.... If it is firmly mounted on both sides all loads are shared equally by both sides. The passenger side adjustment does nothing more than allow for easier closure.

We will have to agree to disagree on that one at least as to the Genright carrier. :)

On my Jeep there is no weight on the driver's side latch plate with the carrier closed and the Jeep at rest. The driver's side latch plate handles the flex in the system as the Jeep moves and goes over bumps but most of the weight is always on the passenger side hinges.

In the first pic, the carrier is open. All of the weight is on the passenger side hinges and zero weight is on the driver's side latch plate. The passenger side hinges are adjusted to level the driver's side arms so they slip right into the latch plate pockets without lifting up or down.

In the second pic the carrier is closed. But there is still zero weight on the driver's side latch plate because nothing has changed except the carrier arms have been pushed about 2" into the latch plate pockets. All of the weight is still carried by the passenger side hinges.

When the Jeep is driven, there will be up/down forces on the driver's side latch plate as the carrier flexes over bumps etc., but most of the weight is always carried by the passenger side hinge system. The driver's side latch plate and light duty bolts and the moderately reinforced Jeep sheet metal is much lighter construction than the passenger side hinge system by design since equal strength is not needed on the driver's side.

Attachments

• DSC01149.jpg
    DSC01149.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 222
  • DSC01148.jpg
    DSC01148.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 221
Yes we will, you are adjusting for the spring in the carrier not deflection of the body. When the carrier is closed, the load is supported 50/50. It's true there are static load variances but any additional forces on the carrier are split evenly between both sides.

tapcola

Once it is closed and pins are in and you start bouncing around and flexing the body. the Wight will move all around on all of the points .

noroad

Yes we will, you are adjusting for the spring in the carrier not deflection of the body. When the carrier is closed, the load is supported 50/50. It's true there are static load variances but any additional forces on the carrier are split evenly between both sides.

Why even bother he is trolling, has been told by a couple people now and knows way more then the people that make then with his high school diploma, physics class was not his strongest subject!

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I have read a lot of stupid stuff in my day, but some of the comments on this thread take the cake.

wwood

Once it is closed and pins are in and you start bouncing around and flexing the body. the Wight will move all around on all of the points .

Why even bother he is trolling, has been told by a couple people now and knows way more then the people that make then with his high school diploma, physics class was not his strongest subject!

Guys, why would Genright use a soft aluminum driver's side latch plate, held on with only light duty 1/4" bolts, in holes drilled through very thin sheet metal if the driver's side needed to be as strong as the passenger side and handle 50% of the weight? Why would Genright use extra strong steel hinges on the passenger side bolted into the super solid fully reinforced factory hinge mounts, if the passenger side hinges were not intended to carry most of the weight?

And Noroad.... why do you find it necessary to be unfriendly, call me a troll, etc? We are all Jeepers, right?

I love Jeeps, I really like this forum, Eddie's writeups and his many posts and the posts of others have helped me tremendously in my Jeep build. Discussions like this one help me learn. I want correct facts. If I am wrong, I want to know that. Eddie corrected me about the EVO carrier which I now see is designed to carry the weight 50/50. But as to the Genright which I have on my Jeep and can see for myself, it is clear that the passenger side is built much stronger for a reason - it carries most of the weight. If you guys disagree that's ok, no hard feelings here. :)

Discussions like this one help me learn. I want correct facts.

It appears you are more interested in arguing your point than learning.

If I am wrong, I want to know that.

This is good, you have been told this several times, although I'm not sure it's sinking in.

If you guys disagree that's ok, no hard feelings here. :)

I have no hard feelings either, but if it's okay to disagree why keep trying to sell your inaccurate views?

I have said my piece about the PSC carrier and will no longer be participating in this thread derail.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I thought I would like this carrier, but that price tag. Also funny how a carrier can get peoples panties in a ruffle. Wow

KingCopperhead

Just read some of the comments in their Facebook thread. Dusty says this isn't the best setup for a hard core rock crawler. Without taking the comment out of context, could the same be said for the genright carrier? Does the way the evo carrier mounts to the skins make it leaps and bounds more durable and less likely to cause tub damage in the event of a rear tire hitting a rock on a drop off? (spreading the load across a much greater surface area)

If so, this narrows my choice down to one carrier and it won't be the genright or ps.

I'm still relatively new to playing in the rocks, anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm a few months away from doing a tire carrier upgrade but I plan my mods well in advance. Any input would be appreciated.

Top Bottom