Newbie Coilover Question

seanb123

He also stated that he wanted to do things right the first time, and coilovers would be the way to go in my opinion. Are they needed for a daily driver and light off road? No. Are coilovers better for daily driver and light off road? You bet ya!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I agree with you but doing it right the first time doesn't have to mean coilovers could be long arm. For what's its worth all I was trying to say was they aren't necessary to do coilovers and they tried to ream me for "not knowing" and "hearing" from people

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Excuse me for not seeing you chrisfromoffroad taking your kicks at me for not having coilovers but the question asked was are they necessary for dd with mild offroading. Wasn't sure but it seamed like you we're saying that if you don't have coilovers but have money for them you rig isn't built right. But of course everyone will defend their purchases in life to make them selves feel better about the money they have spent. So yes I don't have coilovers and my rig does just fine for mild offroading so I feel I have the right to answer the question that he asked and shouldn't have to be scrutinized for it.

We also have the right to state our opinions. I was not scrutinizing your comments or your lift kit. I'm simply putting out another point of view. Is this not what this thread is for?

There's no need to defend the purchase of coil-overs, unlike chrome these will get you home on a smooth ride.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I agree with you but doing it right the first time doesn't have to mean coilovers could be long arm. For what's its worth all I was trying to say was they aren't necessary to do coilovers and they tried to ream me for "not knowing" and "hearing" from people

Bolt on Coilover kit around $3000. (run with short arms)

Average long arm system around $3000.

The coil overs on a short arm kit will far out perform any long arm kit with coils and shock set up. It will ride better too.

RanchoRubi

Caught the Bug
Bolt on Coilover kit around $3000. (run with short arms)

Average long arm system around $3000.

The coil overs on a short arm kit will far out perform any long arm kit with coils and shock set up. It will ride better too.

For my:twocents:, I waited two years and had two previous lift kits, and yes they performed well offroad and hardcore. But once I got the coilovers(still running short arms), everything became more comfortable and especially my daily drive. More cushioned with better handling. I've been kicking myself for waiting. My family and wife comfortably drive the jeep now because of the coilovers.

GCM 2

......taking your kicks at me for not having coilovers but the question asked was are they necessary for dd with mild offroading.

You quoted my post within your post....however, you responded to Chris @ ORE, so I am unclear on who you are directing this at. No one here was taking a kick at anyone for not being able to afford coilovers. If you can afford them, it's absolutley one of the greatest performance upgrades you can do and most importantly, the performance is available ALL THE TIME. A properly set up coilover is easily capable of superceding the ability of any traditional shock and coil set up, both off road and on road. That is a fact. What some of us will always correct, is anyone who posts something either non-factual or something based on hearsay. If an individual does not currently run a coilover set up, or has not run them in the past on another vehicle, they are basically not qualified to comment on the comparison of the difference between the two set ups. So I state again for the record; The only reason to NOT run coilovers, your budget does not allow it. Other than that, run what you feel is the best you can afford

Last edited:

seanb123

You quoted my post within your post....however, you responded to Chris @ ORE, so I am unclear on who you are directing this at. No one here was taking a kick at anyone for not being able to afford coilovers. If you can afford them, it's absolutley one of the greatest performance upgrades you can do and most importantly, the performance is available ALL THE TIME. A properly set up coilover is easily capable of superceding the ability of any traditional shock and coil set up, both off road and on road. That is a fact. What some of us will always correct, is anyone who posts something either non-factual or something based on hearsay. If an individual does not currently run a coilover set up, or has not run them in the past on another vehicle, they are basically not qualified to comment on the comparison of the difference between the two set ups. So I state again for the record; The only reason to NOT run coilovers, your budget does not allow it. Other than that, run what you feel is the best you can afford

I was talking to both because you both took shots at me.

So the guy asks if he lifts should run coilovers, and according to you only people with coilovers are qualified to answer. Then he only gets one answer. Good logic 😉.

GCM 2

I was talking to both because you both took shots at me.

So the guy asks if he lifts should run coilovers, and according to you only people with coilovers are qualified to answer. Then he only gets one answer. Good logic .

Actually, yes it is good logic; who better to give a personal opinion on the difference of coil and shock suspension versus coilovers, weigh their benefits and their negatives, than someone who has run both set ups. That SHOULD be the person you look to for an opinion.......or we can simply ask someone who has only had experience with one set up, and then have them comment on both the coilovers and the coil and shock suspension set ups. Your are right, that does make perfect sense :thinking:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
The coilover vs spring/shock debate is the same as the 33 vs 35 debate. If you get 33's when you want 35's you won't be happy. When you get a traditional spring/shock setup when you want coilovers you won't be happy.

Atch

I completely agree with Greg. If you want an opinion on one thing vs another you always want someone's advice that used both products not just one.

seanb123

Actually, yes it is good logic; who better to give a personal opinion on the difference of coil and shock suspension versus coilovers, weigh their benefits and their negatives, than someone who has run both set ups. That SHOULD be the person you look to for an opinion.......or we can simply ask someone who has only had experience with one set up, and then have them comment on both the coilovers and the coil and shock suspension set ups. Your are right, that does make perfect sense :thinking:

You really don't get it. No one is saying spring are better then coilovers that's a clear answer. He asked if for MILD OFFROADING do you need coilovers. Being a mild offroader I can compare. Unlike the trails you run where coilovers are almost a necessity. Being more comparable,than you, I felt my opinion could be valued. But if you think my opinion isn't valued bc I don't have coilovers that's your deal not mine.

seanb123

I completely agree with Greg. If you want an opinion on one thing vs another you always want someone's advice that used both products not just one.

Yes this is true if he was asking coilovers or not coilovers but simply that is not the question the op asked is it necessary for mild offroading do you need coilovers. You don't need to be coilovers to qualified to answer that question.

GCM 2

You really don't get it. No one is saying spring are better then coilovers that's a clear answer. He asked if for MILD OFFROADING do you need coilovers. Being a mild offroader I can compare. Unlike the trails you run where coilovers are almost a necessity. Being more comparable,than you, I felt my opinion could be valued. But if you think my opinion isn't valued bc I don't have coilovers that's your deal not mine.

Ok, this will be my last post to you.....I promise, but only if you answer this one question:

What is YOUR personal experience with coilovers, since this is what the original post/thread starter person wanted an opinion on?

Anyone can throw their opinion out on what the jeep comes with, which is a coil and shock set up :thumb:

Now here are some related examples of why I think someone who has never run coilovers is not qualified to answer the questions that pertain to comparing coil and shock suspension versus coilover suspension, but is going to answer anyway.....

Original poster-Thinking of switching to a MAC computer, what should I expect?

Forum member reply- I have never owned a MAC, but I run a Windows based Operating System, and here are my thoughts on MACS......

Comparison- both are computers, both are different

Original poster- Newbie question about owning a Corvette

Forum member reply- I drive a Mustang, never owned a Corvette, but here is my opinion on Corvettes......

Comparison- both are American made muscle, both are different

Original poster- Just adopted 5 cats, need advice

Forum member reply- I own a dog care center and take care of 72 dogs a day, but when it comes to felines I know this....

comparison- both are pets, both are different

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Forum member reply- I own a dog care center and take care of 72 dogs a day, but when it comes to felines I know this....

I think the real question is how many cats do YOU own GCM2?

StrizzyChris

Ok, this will be my last post to you.....I promise, but only if you answer this one question:

What is YOUR personal experience with coilovers, since this is what the original post/thread starter person wanted an opinion on?

Anyone can throw their opinion out on what the jeep comes with, which is a coil and shock set up :thumb:

Now here are some related examples of why I think someone who has never run coilovers is not qualified to answer the questions that pertain to comparing coil and shock suspension versus coilover suspension, but is going to answer anyway.....

Original poster-Thinking of switching to a MAC computer, what should I expect?

Forum member reply- I have never owned a MAC, but I run a Windows based Operating System, and here are my thoughts on MACS......

Comparison- both are computers, both are different

Original poster- Newbie question about owning a Corvette

Forum member reply- I drive a Mustang, never owned a Corvette, but here is my opinion on Corvettes......

Comparison- both are American made muscle, both are different

Original poster- Just adopted 5 cats, need advice

I'm always a contrarian, and enjoy a clean debate like this one where no one is being an asshat like I've seen of a few scarce trolls previously...so I'll chime in on what I think Sean is saying to the OP

Op- I want a car that'll do 0-60 in 5.5sec. Do I need to buy a lambo?

Forum member - no a camero will do that in 5.0sec

Comparison - lambo is best and can do it in 2.9sec but still under requested parameters the camero can do it as well while saving your piggy bank.

I think both points needed to be made and both Sean and gcm had valid points. Now its for op to decide. Lambo or Camero!

DallasJKU

Changing to CO's for me are not what I want to spend at this point. However, I would like to have the best ride possible. I currently have the AEV 2.5" with Bilsteins. Would upgrading to King shocks be a major improvement in ride quality on and off road over the Bilsteins??

seanb123

I'm always a contrarian, and enjoy a clean debate like this one where no one is being an asshat like I've seen of a few scarce trolls previously...so I'll chime in on what I think Sean is saying to the OP

Op- I want a car that'll do 0-60 in 5.5sec. Do I need to buy a lambo?

Forum member - no a camero will do that in 5.0sec

Comparison - lambo is best and can do it in 2.9sec but still under requested parameters the camero can do it as well while saving your piggy bank.

I think both points needed to be made and both Sean and gcm had valid points. Now its for op to decide. Lambo or Camero!

Thank your for seeing it what is going on here. I'm officially finished on this thread.

ttfhell

Mustang all the way.

Seriously though how many of us thought they'd expand their mods to their current set up? Started with a rubicon and said I'd never do much more. Then 4" Teraflex and 37's. Then said I was done. Changed to this coil over kit. Which btw I should have done first as its WAY better everywhere. Now getting axles added today. My rambling point is don't underestimate where your jeep life will take you as it's probably going to change the more you get into it. Overkill as a DD maybe, but its nice. If there is any chance you think you might expand your needs down the road lay the foundation now.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom